Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Matter of the Physical world

Ostronomos Offline
It seems that we are stuck in illusion until we transcend the ordinary world. Our material bodies evolved to beileve that materialism is factual and God is merely a feeling of belief. So until we get a glimpse of the supernatural world, we would continue to believe that materialism is all there is.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 9, 2019 10:08 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: It seems that we are stuck in illusion until we transcend the ordinary world. Our material bodies evolved to beileve that materialism is factual and God is merely a feeling of belief. So until we get a glimpse of the supernatural world, we would continue to believe that materialism is all there is.

How does one transcend if we are stuck? I mean if we’re stuck then we really can’t go anywhere. I would think for your purposes that we would have to first become unstuck. Wouldn’t it be easier if the supernatural world came to us since we are stuck in the natural? 

Since the natural world is an illusion then how does one recognize the supernatural, without calling it an illusion....... and how can you say we evolved while knowing that thought, in itself, is an illusion?

And that would mean belief in God is an illusion also, or feeling of belief if you prefer.
Ostronomos Offline
(Aug 10, 2019 05:35 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Aug 9, 2019 10:08 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: It seems that we are stuck in illusion until we transcend the ordinary world. Our material bodies evolved to beileve that materialism is factual and God is merely a feeling of belief. So until we get a glimpse of the supernatural world, we would continue to believe that materialism is all there is.

How does one transcend if we are stuck? I mean if we’re stuck then we really can’t go anywhere. I would think for your purposes that we would have to first become unstuck. Wouldn’t it be easier if the supernatural world came to us since we are stuck in the natural? 

Since the natural world is an illusion then how does one recognize the supernatural, without calling it an illusion....... and how can you say we evolved while knowing that thought, in itself, is an illusion?

And that would mean belief in God is an illusion also, or feeling of belief if you prefer.

You are intentionally obscuring the issue. If you don't know how to become unstuck then no amount of words can assist you. I did not say this for self-validation, but for informing others.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 11, 2019 05:09 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: You are intentionally obscuring the issue. If you don't know how to become unstuck then no amount of words can assist you. I did not say this for self-validation, but for informing others.

Unfortunately those words are illusory as everything else in the material world according to you. There is nothing you can say about the supernatural or whatever that isn’t. Because of your words of wisdom I thank you for cementing my view that it’s ok to believe whatever you want, just keep it to yourself, absolutely no need to spread it around.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Because of your words of wisdom I thank you for cementing my view that it’s ok to believe whatever you want, just keep it to yourself, absolutely no need to spread it around.

Sounds like an argument for censorship. Who are you to tell people not to share their beliefs? You do it all the time.
Yazata Offline
I don't know of any plausible or convincing reason to believe that the world that I experience around me is "illusion".

Nor am I motivated by any desire to "transcend the ordinary world".

My interest in philosophy is motivated almost entirely by my interest in better understanding the everyday world, not in making it go away. (In favor of what? Fantasy?)
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 11, 2019 07:14 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:Because of your words of wisdom I thank you for cementing my view that it’s ok to believe whatever you want, just keep it to yourself, absolutely no need to spread it around.

Sounds like an argument for censorship. Who are you to tell people not to share their beliefs? You do it all the time.

Go ahead and check my post history. I refrain from the word belief or its derivatives at every turn*. Not part of my vocabulary but if you want to believe that I believe whatever the hell I’m saying then be my guest. Spread belief around and look like a fool, something you’re real good at. 

You'll find I use these words a lot.....maybe, may, perhaps, possibly, might, could, appears, if, I think, etc. I don’t commit because I want to leave an opening for change of mind. I think it’s the best way to go but I’m not sold on it. My view is only how I see it, not etched in stone as some law of the land or nature. My view is always subject to change. 

*OK, I may have hurriedly or mistakenly slipped once or twice.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:You'll find I use these words a lot.....maybe, may, perhaps, possibly, might, could, appears, if, I think, etc. I don’t commit because I want to leave an opening for change of mind. I think it’s the best way to go but I’m not sold on it. My view is only how I see it, not etched in stone as some law of the land or nature. My view is always subject to change.

Sounds like a belief to me. Even thinking people shouldn't share their beliefs is just your belief. Why did you share that with us if it is wrong to share one's beliefs?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 11, 2019 08:32 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:You'll find I use these words a lot.....maybe, may, perhaps, possibly, might, could, appears, if, I think, etc. I don’t commit because I want to leave an opening for change of mind. I think it’s the best way to go but I’m not sold on it. My view is only how I see it, not etched in stone as some law of the land or nature. My view is always subject to change.

Sounds like a belief to me. Even thinking people shouldn't share their beliefs is just your belief. Why did you share that with us if it is wrong to share one's beliefs?

You don’t seem to get it. But so what. Maybe there’s no hope for people who jump to conclusions on shoddy evidence. Right now I think it better to not to share belief but I can change, convince me.
Magical Realist Offline
(Aug 11, 2019 09:40 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Aug 11, 2019 08:32 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:

You don’t seem to get it. But so what. Maybe there’s no hope for people who jump to conclusions on shoddy evidence. Right now I think it better to not to share belief but I can change, convince me.

Sounds like more of your beliefs. Why are you sharing them with us?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Non-physical domain of Reality Ostronomos 0 56 Mar 24, 2023 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  The non-physical contains the physical just as mind contains reality Ostronomos 7 1,607 Nov 3, 2017 10:53 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  God is the conscious universe manifesting lower levels of reality such as physical ma Ostronomos 10 1,309 Oct 30, 2017 01:16 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Identity is moral traits -- not mnemonic or physical ones C C 1 810 Nov 21, 2014 01:17 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist