Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Boris Johnson, new PM: Buffoon-like says New Zealand + What the US makes of him

C C Offline
Boris Johnson: New PM to form government after taking office (UK community)
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49092327

INTRO: Boris Johnson will begin the process of forming his government later after he succeeds Theresa May as prime minister. The new Conservative leader will take office on Wednesday afternoon following an audience with the Queen at Buckingham Palace. After entering Downing Street, he is expected to announce a clutch of senior cabinet posts, including chancellor of the exchequer and home secretary.

Sources close to Mr Johnson say his top team will reflect "modern Britain". He is expected to use the opportunity to increase the number of women in full cabinet positions and boost the representation of ethnic minorities. Mr Johnson won a decisive victory over Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt in a ballot of Tory members - gaining a 66.4% total share of the vote. (MORE)

Boris Johnson is 'buffoon-like, very impressive, right man for the times in Britain' - Simon Bridges (NZ community)
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zeal...on-bridges

INTRO: Buffoon-like, not crushingly boring, unique - descriptions New Zealand MPs have given to incoming British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. "This is a guy who can be on, can be off, he's got that buffoon-like quality," National leader Simon Bridges said. "Having met him he's very impressive, very smart. He's the right man for the times in Britain. I think he's going to make it more outward looking."

Mr Johnson will be made UK Prime Minister on Wednesday, taking over from Theresa May who announced her intentions to step down as Prime Minister in May after being unable to deliver Brexit. When asked to expand on "buffoon-like", Mr Bridges said, "someone who gets a bit of marmalade on his chin, who sometimes doesn't say quite the right things, whose personal life can be interesting".

"For all of that, he's an impressive guy." Mr Bridges said the appointment would be beneficial for New Zealand as Mr Johnson "has a real regard for the Commonwealth and I think New Zealand". (MORE)

Boris Johnson: What the US makes of new British leader (US community)
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49050937

INTRO: What's an American to make of Boris Johnson? Not the person-on-the-street American, who may look at a photograph of the new British conservative leader and think they're being asked to identify an aging 1970s glam rocker. I'm talking about the US media analysts and commentators who get paid to think about politics and, occasionally, cast their eyes across the oceans to see what the rest of the world is up to.

At this point in US history, it's hard for Americans to view any major political event outside the context of the rise and rule of Donald Trump - the crashing cacophony that drowns out all other thought. Emmanuel Macron is elected president of France? A rebuke of Trumpism! The Liberal/National right-leaning coalition prevails in Australia? Trumpism triumphs!

Such is the case with the Mr Johnson. The comparisons between the two Anglophone leaders have come fast and furious - some facile and others more nuanced. Even Mr Trump himself got in on the game, in a speech in Washington on Tuesday afternoon. "He's tough and he's smart," Mr Trump said of Mr Johnson. "They call him 'Britain Trump', and it's people saying that's a good thing. They like me over there. That's what they wanted. That's what they need."

There are plenty of other opinions, of course - that Mr Johnson is either the second coming of Donald Trump in a good way or in a bad way; a British original or a knock-off nationalist... (MORE)
Yazata Offline
(Jul 24, 2019 06:08 AM)C C Wrote: Boris Johnson: New PM to form government after taking office

Of course, what did anyone expect? (Thank you for that little piece of brilliant analysis, BBC.)

The question is what kind of government will it be?

Quote:Boris Johnson will begin the process of forming his government later after he succeeds Theresa May as prime minister.

Last I heard, Theresa May has concluded her last speech in Parliament, then retired to #10 where it's said she's having lunch with her husband. From there, she will be driven to Buckingham palace where she will give the Queen her resignation.

Quote:The new Conservative leader will take office on Wednesday afternoon following an audience with the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

Interestingly, there will be an interregnum of at least an hour, between Theresa's resignation and Boris' Royal appointment in which the UK has no Prime Minister.

Quote:After entering Downing Street, he is expected to announce a clutch of senior cabinet posts, including chancellor of the exchequer and home secretary.

Yes, that will give everyone a first impression of where his new administration is headed.

Quote:Sources close to Mr Johnson say his top team will reflect "modern Britain".

Translation: Will be drawn from the "Conservative" party's abundant left. The same crowd that advised Theresa May and David Cameron before her, with such wonderful results. I'm sure that's what the BBC wants to see.

Quote:Boris Johnson: What the US makes of new British leader

What's an American to make of Boris Johnson? Not the person-on-the-street American, who may look at a photograph of the new British conservative leader and think they're being asked to identify an aging 1970s glam rocker.

Another illustration of how ruling class Brits sneer at the average American. Haughtiness (and expensive suits) is all they have left, now that the Sun has so emphatically set on British world leadership.

Quote:I'm talking about the US media analysts and commentators who get paid to think about politics and, occasionally, cast their eyes across the oceans to see what the rest of the world is up to.

A little would-be ruling clique of no more than a few hundred people in a country of 300 million. A punditocracy whose views the voting public has come to ignore.

Quote:At this point in US history, it's hard for Americans to view any major political event outside the context of the rise and rule of Donald Trump - the crashing cacophony that drowns out all other thought.

Translation: That's exactly what we intend to do.

How can media pundits in organizations like the BBC know what Americans are thinking when they are unwilling to listen to Americans (apart from their chosen echo-chamber pundits)? It's a recipe for caricature.

Quote:Emmanuel Macron is elected president of France? A rebuke of Trumpism! The Liberal/National right-leaning coalition prevails in Australia? Trumpism triumphs!

There are similar currents at work all over the world. It's foolish to deny it. The voting public in many countries doesn't like the direction that their ruling elites are pushing them, so they respond the only place they can, in the voter's booth. The Brexit vote, Salvini in Italy, Orban in Hungary, Bolsanaro in Brazil, Modi in India, Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, the recent Australian vote. Marine LePen and the RN's challenge to Macron. Even the AfD in Germany.

Of course since the BBC elites favor the inexorably leftward direction the world's public is being pushed, they willfully blind themselves to all the political dynamics in play around them. So to them it must all be personality, whether Trump's or Boris Johnson's.

Quote:There are plenty of other opinions, of course - that Mr Johnson is either the second coming of Donald Trump in a good way or in a bad way; a British original or a knock-off nationalist...

'Nationalist' isn't inconsistent with 'British original'. Especially in this day and age.

After all, Boris Johnson is being chosen to be Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, not Prime Minister of the World. Those days are long gone and to long for them to return (even in globalist 'new world order' terms) is to long for the age of Western colonialism. So the first priority of the UK Prime Minister should be the interests and well-being of Britain and the British people. There's nothing wrong with that and as late as 20 years ago it's what everyone would have expected a UK prime minister to do.
Syne Offline
At least Boris was always for Brexit, unlike May, who only resigned herself to work on the details...and failed spectacularly.

I'd love to see an independent UK that can be an equal partner to the US, instead of just a subsidiary of the EU.
Seattle Offline
(Jul 25, 2019 12:47 AM)Syne Wrote: At least Boris was always for Brexit, unlike May, who only resigned herself to work on the details...and failed spectacularly.

I'd love to see an independent UK that can be an equal partner to the US, instead of just a subsidiary of the EU.

I'd love to see an independent California that could be an equal partner to the UK.
Syne Offline
(Jul 25, 2019 01:29 AM)Seattle Wrote:
(Jul 25, 2019 12:47 AM)Syne Wrote: At least Boris was always for Brexit, unlike May, who only resigned herself to work on the details...and failed spectacularly.

I'd love to see an independent California that could be an equal partner to the UK.

I agree. I'd love to see California become a third world country without the US to prop it up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAFTA demise penalizes Canada more + BoJo's new Cabinet makes soft Brexit more likely C C 0 224 Jul 26, 2019 05:03 AM
Last Post: C C
  Terrorism strikes New Zealand community: Candace Owens blamed C C 5 1,117 Mar 16, 2019 12:40 AM
Last Post: Syne
  New Zealand town has too many jobs & houses available + Build a community garden C C 0 642 Jul 21, 2016 05:15 AM
Last Post: C C