Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pence ant gonna change the religious freedom law.!!!

cluelusshusbund Offline
Well my state (IN) is gettin its "But" kicked over the misunderstandin of the new law Gov. Pence signed into action... an its gonna wind up costin us good citizens lots of money.!!!

I wish people coud understand that the new law ant gonna be used to enable discrimination aganst anybody... an even if is... it will likely only be a few people directly impacted so whats the big deal.!!!

As Pence didnt explain... all the law is for is to butter up the Christan bigots to insure he gets ther vote in what ever he runs for next... so get off our backs America... you'r to stoopid to realize that you'r makin a mountain out of a little slap to the face of people who are hell-bound anyway Angry
Yazata Offline
The Religious Freedom Restoration Act isn't anything new or radical.

There is already a federal RFRA on the books, authored by Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1993 after being passed unanimously in the House and 97-3 in the Senate.

"The law reestablished a balancing test for courts to apply in religious liberty cases. The RFRA allows a persons free exercise of religion to be "substantially burdened" by law only if the law furthers "compelling governmental interest" in the "least restrictive means of furthering that interest".

The RFRA does not guarantee that a person making a religious claim will always win. It just requires that the government show that it has a compelling interest in infringing on somebody's religious rights and that the government is trying to achieve its interests in the least intrusive way possible.

Ok, if there's a federal RFRA on the books, then why did Indiana pass its own RFRA? That's because in 1997, the Supreme Court ruled in City of Boerne vs Flores that the federal RFRA is generally inapplicable against states and localities.

Since then, 19 states have passed state RFRA acts. Indiana is the 20th. Others include neighboring Illinois, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Do these laws license discrimination against gays? Stanford law professor Michael McConnell says no, "In the decades that states have had RFRA statutes, no business has been given the right to discrimnate against gay customers or anyone else."

McConnell also thinks that should state RFRA acts collide with public accomodation law, he thinks that public accomodation law would prevail.

Here's the text of the federal RFRA law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000bb-1

Here's the text of Indiana's.

https://iga.in.gov/static-documents/9/2/...5.ENRS.pdf

See in particular Section 8, which essentially repeats the federal wording.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/indi...00641.html
cluelusshusbund Offline
(Mar 30, 2015 02:36 AM)Yazata Wrote: The RFRA does not guarantee that a person making a religious claim will always win. 

Do these laws license discrimination against gays? Stanford law professor Michael McConnell says no, "In the decades that states have had RFRA statutes, no business has been given the right to discrimnate against gay customers or anyone else."

McConnell also thinks that should state RFRA acts collide with public accomodation law, he thinks that public accomodation law would prevail.

Thats good enuff for me... i guess i got caut up in the hysteria an didnt thank it thru how this is a positive for gays... etc... an in no way a negative.!!!

An i say to all the people who thanks this law sucks... whats all the hubbub bub.???
Yazata Offline
It's ironic that next-door Illinois has had its own Religious Freedom Restoration Act with wording very similar to Indiana's since the 1990's. In fact, Barack Obama voted for it when he was an IL state legislator.

Here's the text:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilc...apterID=64

It looks to me like the tumult over Indiana's new legislation is a phony controversy, created by activists and their media supporters.
Magical Realist Offline
(Mar 30, 2015 04:12 AM)cluelusshusbund Wrote:
(Mar 30, 2015 02:36 AM)Yazata Wrote: The RFRA does not guarantee that a person making a religious claim will always win. 

Thats good enuff for me... i guess i got caut up in the hysteria an didnt thank it thru how this is a positive for gays... etc... an in no way a negative.!!!

An i say to all the people who thanks this law sucks... whats all the hubbub bub.???

I won't be driving thru Indiana any time soon. But if I did, I'd check to make sure the manager of McDonald's isn't a anti-gay christian first before eating there. It's my religious right not give money to such a cause. But then he'd probably throw me out anyway for being gay. "We serve christian heterosexuals only!"

"Supporters of these laws bring up the example of a florist who refuses to sell flowers for a gay wedding or a baker who won't make that couple's wedding cake -- and it's clear this law is aimed at fending off lawsuits that florist and that baker might face.

But what about a restaurant that refuses to serve a gay couple simply wanting to sit down for a meal?

"It would foil any lawsuit against a supplier who acted on religious grounds, but the law can get squirrely," CNN Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin said, adding that it's likely that a refusal to serve a gay person wouldn't stand under the law, but a refusal to provide a service for a gay wedding would.

Is Indiana the first state to implement this kind of a law?

Nope. It's actually the 20th state to adopt a "religious freedom restoration" law, most of which are modeled after the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which President Bill Clinton signed into law in 1993.

But that law passed with the backing of a broad-based coalition and wasn't set against the backdrop of gay rights or the wave of marriage equality laws that have swept the country in recent years.

The law in Indiana, though, as well as the slew of other states it follows, came after an outcry from social conservative circles over incidents where business owners found themselves in hot water after refusing services to gay couples planning to get married.

In addition to those 20 states, legislators in nine other states have introduced similar types of "religious freedom" laws -- bills that either failed to go through in 2014 or are still up for consideration this year.

But Adam Talbot, a spokesman with the Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group, stressed that those 20 laws are "dramatically different in their scope and effect."

"Calling them similar in this way risks being misleading. Indiana is the broadest and most dangerous law of its kind in the country," Talbot said.

Arkansas' legislature passed an Indiana-style law on Friday, which now heads to the state's governor for approval.

Religious liberty -- and using it to push back against same-sex marriage and other gay rights -- has become the rallying cry for the social conservative movement in the last year as these groups have watched one anti-gay marriage law after the next tumble in the courts.

And standing behind with Pence as he signed the bill were several socially conservative lobbyists, the ones who pushed for the law and are fiercely opposed to same-sex marriage.

One of those lobbyists, Eric Miller, explicitly wrote on his website that the law would protect businesses from participating in "homosexual marriage."

"The only reason these laws have passed is because of same sex marriage. Everybody knows that," Toobin said. The political calculation that states are going to have to make is, is the reward from the religious groups greater than the cost in lost business."

Have these "religious freedom restoration" laws already been used as legal defenses?

Yup. The Human Rights Campaign pointed CNN to several cases in which individuals have used these laws in court -- and not just in cases involving LGBT people and weddings.

A police officer in Oklahoma claimed a religious objection when he refused to police a mosque. A police officer in Salt Lake City cited his "religious liberty" when he refused to police a gay pride parade.

A photographer in New Mexico used religious freedom as a defense for not serving a lesbian couple in 2013."---http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/27/politics/i...explainer/
cluelusshusbund Offline

(Mar 30, 2015 08:25 PM)Yazata Wrote: It looks to me like the tumult over Indiana's new legislation is a phony controversy, created by activists and their media supporters.

Yeah coud be... an Pence intends to smear a coat of obfuscation clarity on the new law an run it up the flag pole agan... mayb it will fly then.!!!

Quote:Magical Realist
I won't be driving thru Indiana any time soon. But if I did, I'd check to make sure the manager of McDonald's isn't a anti-gay christian first before eating there. It's my religious right not give money to such a cause. But then he'd probably throw me out anyway for being gay. "We serve christian heterosexuals only!"

Yeah i will be lookin for signs on bidnesses that say "We serve everbody" to patronize... a sign like this one woud do:::

http://www.quotehd.com/imagequotes/autho...-doing.jpg

This Pence law is just more "BBB" (Bible Belt BS)... like when Indiana started askin if you want a regular license plate... or do you want (at no extra charge) a plate that says "In God We Trust" on it.!!!
Magical Realist Offline
(Mar 31, 2015 12:50 AM)cluelusshusbund Wrote:
(Mar 30, 2015 08:25 PM)Yazata Wrote: It looks to me like the tumult over Indiana's new legislation is a phony controversy, created by activists and their media supporters.

Yeah coud be... an Pence intends to smear a coat of obfuscation clarity on the new law an run it up the flag pole agan... mayb it will fly then.!!!

Quote:Magical Realist
I won't be driving thru Indiana any time soon. But if I did, I'd check to make sure the manager of McDonald's isn't a anti-gay christian first before eating there. It's my religious right not give money to such a cause. But then he'd probably throw me out anyway for being gay. "We serve christian heterosexuals only!"

Yeah i will be lookin for signs on bidnesses that say "We serve everbody" to patronize... a sign like this one woud do:::

http://www.quotehd.com/imagequotes/autho...-doing.jpg

This Pence law is just more "BBB" (Bible Belt BS)... like when Indiana started askin if you want a regular license plate... or do you want (at no extra charge) a plate that says "In God We Trust" on it.!!!

The latest subterfuge in this conflict is the biblethumpers all claiming this law is also passed in like a dozen other states, so what's the problem? Heard on the news today that most of THESE states protect gays and lesbians from discrimination with explicit civil rights laws. Indiana has nothing like that on the books. So it's open season on any LGBT's there who arrogantly presume THEY deserve flowers or a cake or photos for their wedding. Or who might wanna stay at a Christian B & B for a gay honeymoon. Forget about it!
cluelusshusbund Offline
(Mar 31, 2015 02:16 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: The latest subterfuge in this conflict is the biblethumpers all claiming this law is also passed in like a dozen other states, so what's the problem? Heard on the news today that most of THESE states protect gays and lesbians from discrimination with explicit civil rights laws. Indiana has nothing like that on the books. So it's open season on any LGBT's there who arrogantly presume THEY deserve flowers or a cake or photos for their wedding. Or who might wanna stay at a Christian B & B for a gay honeymoon. Forget about it!

Whether some pinhead ever makes use of the law or not... its a pat on back for Christan-Cooks an a slap to the face of LGBT's... an Pences plan to pour some "clarity" on the turd he signed ant gonna take the stink away.!!! 

If it was up to the Pence types... black people woud still be sent to the back of the bus... i mean... whats the harm... they still get to ride the bus.???
cluelusshusbund Offline
Even Fox "News" is startin to get-it... so its Ok now to admit that the Pence law sucks.!!!

"Fox Host Debunks Indiana Gov. Mike Pence's Main Talking Point On Anti-LGBT Law"

Scroll down for video.!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/30...72090.html

Mayor Ballard of Indianapolis gets it:::

"Our city thrives because we have welcomed and embraced diversity," said Ballard. "RFRA threatens what thousands of people have spent decades building. And I won't alow that to happen without a fight."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/30...72928.html
Magical Realist Offline
(Mar 31, 2015 04:52 AM)cluelusshusbund Wrote: Even Fox "News" is startin to get-it... so its Ok now to admit that the Pence law sucks.!!!

"Fox Host Debunks Indiana Gov. Mike Pence's Main Talking Point On Anti-LGBT Law"

Scroll down for video.!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/30...72090.html

Mayor Ballard of Indianapolis gets it:::

"Our city thrives because we have welcomed and embraced diversity," said Ballard. "RFRA threatens what thousands of people have spent decades building. And I won't alow that to happen without a fight."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/30...72928.html

Our mayor came out today and announced they're sending noone from the city of Portland to Indiana till this law is repealed. The governor of Washington is pissed too. It's amazing how strong and unanimous the support is by our culture for equality. Just a decade ago you wouldnt've seen this much reaction. Now it's all like: "Not in MY country governor Pence!" Makes me proud to be a gay American for once..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Climate change is racist: Few in US recognize inequities of climate change C C 0 64 Aug 9, 2023 10:49 PM
Last Post: C C