Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Giant Crater Hidden under Greenland's Ice

C C Offline
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...lands-ice/

EXCERPT: Earth hides its scars well; the planet has endured countless millennia of eruptions and collisions, but scientists are still stumbling upon the evidence of all that geologic drama.

Now, one such team has announced that it spotted a scar hidden below Greenland’s ice, a giant crater nearly 20 miles (31 kilometers) wide. The researchers said a giant iron meteorite likely created the mark by slamming into Earth sometime in the past 3 million years.

Other scientists aren’t necessarily sold yet that a space rock created the feature. “I think that the authors have presented some intriguing evidence of a possible impact site, and I think that’s the right word—intrigued,” David Kring, who studies impact craters at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston and who wasn’t involved with the new research, told Space.com. “I’m intrigued. I’m not wholly convinced that this is an impact crater.”

[...] He [Kring] said he’s particularly struck by the apparent lack of any measurable climate upheaval that such a large impact would have caused. The team wants to narrow down the date more precisely with future research but is confident that the crater formed between 3 million and 12,000 years ago, likely on the later end of that range. “It certainly should have created global effects, and we just have no hint or signature of that at this time,” Kring said....

MORE: https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...lands-ice/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article The hidden threat from rising coastal groundwater C C 0 147 Feb 9, 2024 03:34 AM
Last Post: C C
  Latest maps of 8th continent + Best hidden impact craters + Why rare earth elements? C C 0 79 Oct 6, 2023 04:22 PM
  Life traces in Earth's deep mantle + Greenland impact crater came after dino extin... C C 1 89 Mar 9, 2022 10:14 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Weird earthquake reveals hidden mechanism C C 0 112 Mar 24, 2021 08:11 PM
  Strange earthquakes in Utah reveal volcanic activity hidden below the desert C C 0 144 Mar 4, 2021 07:17 PM
  Asteroid dust found in crater closes case of dinosaur extinction C C 0 126 Feb 25, 2021 07:53 AM
  Greenland's melting ice raised global sea level by 2.2mm in two months C C 0 265 Mar 20, 2020 08:35 PM
  ‘Marsquakes’ reveal red planet’s hidden geology C C 0 215 Dec 14, 2019 06:42 PM
  Astronomers draw first global map of Titan + Water confirmed under Europa C C 1 302 Nov 22, 2019 10:00 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  Scientists Have Drilled Into Earth's Hidden 8th Continent C C 0 404 Oct 1, 2017 04:01 AM