Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Class on how marginalized scientists could yield “different ways of knowing"

C C Offline
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...f-knowing/

EXCERPT: The class below, found on the Princeton University course website, asks two questions:

1.) Is science gendered, racialized, ableist, and classist?

and

2.) Does the presence or absence of women (and other marginalized individuals) lead to the production of different kinds of scientific knowledge?

[...] (My answers to both would be “no”, since while some scientists may be bigots, science itself cannot be, as it’s simply a method for producing knowledge.) And I’d argue against anyone who claims that different sexes or ethnic groups will produce “different kinds of scientific knowledge”. Maybe they’ll ask different questions [...] fine, but there are already plenty of women scientists who ask exactly the same type of questions, in the same way, as do men scientists. [...]

That is not, of course, to claim that science is a male-oriented way of doing research, despite the fact that science was, because of sexism that limited the opportunities of women, developed largely by men. The tools that produce truth—hypothesis testing, criticism, interrogating nature, and falsification, and so on—have been developed over the centuries by trial and error: seeing what techniques give us reliable knowledge. Those methods aren’t, and cannot be, limited to or characteristic of one sex. We use what works, not what flatters particular sexes, ethnicities, or classes.

But I digress. The course above is an embarrassment for a school of Princeton’s reputation. It is simply social-justice propaganda that will distort science for ideological ends. It’s dubious scholarship, a waste of the students’ tuition money, and unlikely itself to produce new knowledge. It will produce clones that parrot Clune-Taylor’s ideology....

MORE (specific examples): https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...f-knowing/
Syne Offline
No such thing as "different kinds of scientific knowledge".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surveys with repetitive questions yield bad data, study finds C C 0 54 Jan 29, 2022 06:07 AM
Last Post: C C