Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A message from Mom

Magical Realist Offline
Skeptic turned half believer by unexplained events after the passing of his mother..

https://michaelprescott.typepad.com/mich...m-mom.html

"I received an interesting testimonial from commenter GregL, who previously contributed a post composed soon after his mother's passing. At the time, struggling with his own skepticism, he wrote, "Like a flame dancing in the wind I now move between despair and hope, a dichotomy of opposing beliefs. Probably never to be resolved until my own passing. I hope I see her there."

It appears he received some additional evidence that pushed the needle at least somewhat in the direction of belief..."
C C Offline
Recreational, musing stance about the topic:

A "necromantic metrics" for assessing clandestine interaction and communication probably needs to be developed. This would assume beforehand that the latter usually entails anonymity behind a prolonged series of coincidences (statistical explanation) or is concealed in the "random activity/noise" of parallel natural remedies, reasons, causes.

Which is to say, a supernatural realm or prior-in-rank level can never be positively validated repeatedly or in universally overt fashion. It only serves as a strategically inferred refuge for traditional beliefs, since such (if confirmed and perpetually upheld by lab conditions) would undermine or destroy the coherence of the experienced world or the "internal physicalist storyline" it seems to adhere to.

But first there would be a formal analysis that details all the means and possible sources for purely psychologically meaningful co-occurring events and random activity/noise potentially delivering hidden communication. An exploratory consideration and investigation into the prospect. Then the "system of evaluation and measurement that facilitates a quantification of _X_" (with whatever applicable adjectival label appended to "metrics") would eventually be devised from that.

~
Magical Realist Offline
Poor mom, upsetting the whole applecart of science just to assure her son she's still out there. Sad
Zinjanthropos Offline
I'd like to hear Cathy's version of events plus an honest appraisal of her husband's mental state after mom passing.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 4, 2018 02:47 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I'd like to hear Cathy's version of events plus an honest appraisal of her husband's mental state after mom passing.

Seems totally rational and sane to me. Even a pretty good writer.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Dec 4, 2018 05:46 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
(Dec 4, 2018 02:47 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I'd like to hear Cathy's version of events plus an honest appraisal of her husband's mental state after mom passing.

Why would anyone take the letter as gospel when the blog author writes at the end of his preamble:
Quote:It appears he received some additional evidence that pushed the needle at least somewhat in the direction of belief.  

Interesting to note how the letter starts with the author using the word 'preternally' which indicates that in his mind the house was already beyond the normal state before he started noticing strange noises. 
All through the letter I feel the author speaks for his wife as if she is in total agreement with him (uses the word 'we' a few times). Yet direct quotes from her, IMHO, resemble remarks an individual might make to accommodate a loved one whose senses are on override, their mind highly affected by external stimulants (noises). Do we know if author was taking sedatives, narcotics, etc?
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 4, 2018 07:02 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Dec 4, 2018 05:46 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:

Why would anyone take the letter as gospel when the blog author writes at the end of his preamble:
Quote:It appears he received some additional evidence that pushed the needle at least somewhat in the direction of belief.  

Interesting to note how the letter starts with the author using the word 'preternally' which indicates that in his mind the house was already beyond the normal state before he started noticing strange noises. 
All through the letter I feel the author speaks for his wife as if she is in total agreement with him (uses the word 'we' a few times). Yet direct quotes from her, IMHO, resemble remarks an individual might make to accommodate a loved one whose senses are on override, their mind highly affected by external stimulants (noises). Do we know if author was taking sedatives, narcotics, etc?

Right..he was high on drugs. You're ridiculous..Methinks thou doth protest too much.
Zinjanthropos Offline
OH, I didn't know we weren't supposed to protest.

The story has more holes in it than Bonnie & Clyde. Feel free to lash out if you deem it necessary. My last words on this thread.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 4, 2018 07:31 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: OH, I didn't know we weren't supposed to protest.

The story has more holes in it than Bonnie & Clyde.  Feel free to lash out if you deem it necessary. My last words on this thread.

I can always tell when a paranormal account I post is compelling by the amount of bullshit skeptics have to go out of their way to make up about it. It all comes down to who you gonna trust--the person(s) who was actually there, or the armchair skeptic who only wants there not to be anything paranormal ever? The experience itself? Or the denials of someone only defending their worldview? "Nothing's gonna change my world" indeed...