Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Franklin Graham: "Don't shut up about homosexuality"

Magical Realist Offline
"Easily the biggest round of applause at this weekend’s The Awakening conference in Orlando came when evangelist Franklin Graham walked on stage. Although the Religious Right event took place at a seemingly generationally and racially diverse megachurch, the attendees were largely older and white, and Graham — the son of evangelist royalty Billy Graham — represented a link to an era of a powerful, politically connected evangelical leaders.

Graham captured the spirit of the crowd when he railed against pastors and churches for giving up on condemning homosexuality and abortion for fear of offending congregants, telling the audience of activists that “God will bless you and he’ll honor you if you speak up and you tell the truth” about those issues.

“Let me tell you something. A lot of pastors have quit preaching against homosexuality. You know why? I’ll tell you why. Because they are afraid that there may be some man or woman in the congregation whose son or daughter is gay,” he said, lamenting that some pastors are tempted to “just shut up” about homosexuality.

“Don’t shut up, guys,” he said to wild applause. “You don’t shut up. If the people that are coming after you, ‘yak, yak, yak,’ and they want to run you out of church, then let them run you out of church. Go to another church, let them have that church. I’ll tell you what, God will bless you and he’ll honor you if you speak up and you tell the truth.”

He added that it was “the same with abortion”: "Don’t shut up. It’s a sin against God, okay? It’s murder.”

“Young people in the church today don’t know that homosexuality is wrong because pastors aren’t speaking up, but they go to school and teachers in the school tell them that it’s okay, that it’s all right, God made them that way, that’s the way they are and it’s a choice,” he warned.

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/fr...EPIfz.dpuf
cluelusshusbund Offline
Quote:Magical Realist

"Easily the biggest round of applause at this weekend’s The Awakening conference in Orlando came when evangelist Franklin Graham walked on stage. 

Graham captured the spirit of the crowd when he railed against pastors and churches for giving up on condemning homosexuality 

“Young people in the church today don’t know that homosexuality is wrong because pastors aren’t speaking up, but they go to school and teachers in the school tell them that it’s okay, that it’s all right, God made them that way, that’s the way they are and it’s a choice,” he warned.

At first an last glance it apears that evangelist Franklin is fulla-sht... on the other hand hes prolly a nice enuff feller wit good intentions... an besides... its not his prollem if bound for hell homosexuals feel demeaned... its just his beliefs... not as if he signed a hateful bigoted law into effect.!!!  
Magical Realist Offline
(Mar 30, 2015 04:56 AM)cluelusshusbund Wrote: Magical Realist

"Easily the biggest round of applause at this weekend’s The Awakening conference in Orlando came when evangelist Franklin Graham walked on stage. 

Graham captured the spirit of the crowd when he railed against pastors and churches for giving up on condemning homosexuality 

At first an last glance it apears that evangelist Franklin is fulla-sht... on the other hand hes prolly a nice enuff feller wit good intentions... an besides... its not his prollem if bound for hell homosexuals feel demeaned... its just his beliefs... not as if he signed a hateful bigoted law into effect.!!!

It's a symptom of being so out of touch with your contemporary culture that you look silly by comparison. The sea change of acceptance of gayness is well underway, just as sex outside of marriage was liberated in the 1960's. Nowadays it is almost passe that people have sex before marriage, and even live together without being married. The 2500 BC rules against this are only held by the religious right, hypocritically so since EVERBODY has had sex before marriage. The demonization of LGBT's holds out there too, but as Graham even admits, it's falling by the wayside as our culture accepts it more and more. I'm glad I could live to see this day of "live and let live" for ALL people regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. The haters are simply goin to die out, replaced by our enlightened generation of young people all doin their own thing without fear or shame.
elte Offline
I saw some humility in Billy Graham's demeanor, but I haven't seen it in Franklin's. I have had a lot of bible learning and have observed that humbleness is an important character trait for Christians. That's largely because the teaching is that to have the sins forgiven by grace one has to be gracious to, and forgiving of, others.
cluelusshusbund Offline
Hi elte...
I thank this is my first post to you here Smile

Whether its Billy... Franklin or some other nut... lettin gay people know that they deserve hell dont fall into the catigory of gracious... but im a bit biased bein a atheist wit beter morals than all those preecher types put together... eh Smile

When i was young i had a rocket radio (loved it)... an after goin to bed i used to listen to Herbert W. Armstrong... mostly cause it was a strong signal... an i dont remember anythang he said but i do remember him soundin like a good guy.???

Edit:::
I thank he didnt believe in hell.???
elte Offline
Hi cluelusshusbund,

I guess that I forgot the specifics from Billy Graham.  I'm not too hard on any of them in my thoughts since they were raised somehow (probably indoctrinated) to be attracted to preaching the religious dogmas they do.  I wonder do they see the disconnect between the grace that is the kernel of their message and all the fire and brimstone.  

I don't know that any divine being exists.  I guess that I just remembered the part about Billy telling people they should be going up front to be "saved."  Being saved has an appealing sound to me.

I do recall hearing Armstrong being introduced and also the post-show announcements, but not much else, but that gist of his message that you mention seems familiar.  I barely listened to the actual shows since I would change the station listening for a DJ to announce station call letters that I hadn't heard before.  That was on my portable Panasonic AM/FM radio.  It was one of the best radios for DXing in the early 70s.  I was a commercial AM band radio DXer, and I'd often leave a distant station on while I fell asleep.

I did listen to J. Vernon McGee in the late 80s.  He had pretty mellow preaching compared to a lot of folks in his day, but in the end, it's all just doctrines and stories apparently with no real divine entity responsible for it.

Credit to an Ebay seller for image.

[Image: m9UISELIqTdw4p8BVuRZd1Q.jpg]
[Image: m9UISELIqTdw4p8BVuRZd1Q.jpg]

C C Offline
(Mar 31, 2015 02:59 AM)cluelusshusbund Wrote: When i was young i had a rocket radio (loved it)... an after goin to bed i used to listen to Herbert W. Armstrong... mostly cause it was a strong signal... an i dont remember anythang he said but i do remember him soundin like a good guy.??? Edit::: I thank he didnt believe in hell.???

Yes, the old Worldwide Church of God didn't believe in immortal souls or eternal punishment, and the dead merely "slept" for decades and centuries rather than going spirit-wise to a supernatural heaven or a hell. After the return of JC and the judgement at the end of a 1000 year reign of peace, the physically resurrected sinner stood around a super-hot pit of Gehenna (or whatever), got satisfactorily nervous, and eventually fell in and instantly burned-up, and that was it. Only Satan and demons survived the pit and suffered forever via only being outcasts excluded from the "new heaven and Earth" that replaced the appearance of the old.

Armstrong's Christian faction was derived from elements of the Jehovah Witnesses and other groups that kept a sabbath on the seventh day like the Jews. Their views regarding how life after death was achieved was similar to the liberal, intellectual Christians of Nancey Murphy's group, though probably far more conservative in the "dos and don'ts" territories.

Depending on which historical account sounds most valid, both Herbert Armstrong and his banished son Ted were far from perfect, and so the original WCOG splintered into separate movements. Some changing to become more like traditional churches. While at least one revised "Church of God / Christ", apparently deeming that Armstrong still came-up with a system / interpretation they desired despite his personal life failings, kept the old machine going. Continuing to publish and distribute all that free stuff like the "Plain Truth", "Good News", booklets, etc on the backs of their members who voluntarily(?) contribute ten percent of their income (the biblical obligation of tithing).
Magical Realist Offline
When I was 13 yrs old I was a Revelation-studying prodigy who, with my mom, listened to Garner Ted Armstrong on radio every morning before school. We received his magazine "The Plain Truth" as well as several booklets describing the state of the dead, the nature of the second coming. and everything to allay a raging apocalyptic fever. We then heard tell of the Seventh Day Adventists, and soon joined them, who also believe in incineration in hell. It was a time of my life full of much excitement and fantasy, and though I regret the wild goose chase, I don't regret the bond I formed with my mother over it. It was good to get all this out of the way and by 21 I was pretty much done and on the road to an atheistic mysticism.
cluelusshusbund Offline
@ elte

Hebert W had a strong clear voice an seemed so much saner than other preechers i usualy herd... who mostly whooped an hollered about that good 'ol fire an brimstone.!!!

It sure was fun tunin that little rocket radio to get diferent stations late at night while layin in bed... never knowin for sure what i might hear next;;; it didnt dawn on me to colect the station call letters... woud have been fun to keep tryin to add to the list.!!!  
Do you still have any records of the call letters you herd.???    

I thank my parents kinda liked Billy Graham not that they realy made an effort to listen to him... but sometimes they listend to a Billy G. tv special... an i was just glad when it was over.!!!

Some of 'em preechin about heaven/hell prolly believe it... but im guessin most of 'em are more concerned wit how full the collecton plate is than worryin about ther hypocritical sermons.!!!

I found out from my sister a couple of days ago that i had been saved at church several times when i was about 3 years old.!!!
Sometimes a nabor lady woud baby set us an take us to her church an i always went up front to get saved/sprinkled wit water (i guess it was holey type water?)... anyhow... that may be why i turned out to be the grate guy i am Smile

(Mar 31, 2015 04:04 PM)C C Wrote: Continuing to publish and distribute all that free stuff like the "Plain Truth", "Good News", booklets, etc on the backs of their members who voluntarily(?) contribute ten percent of their income (the biblical obligation of tithing).

Ah the "Plain Truth"... no tellin how many times i herd that advertized on Herberts radio broadcasts.!!!

So its questionable as to whether the tithes was voluntary... not a prollem wit my church NACA cause ther ant no tithin.!!!

(Mar 30, 2015 05:57 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I'm glad I could live to see this day of "live and let live" for ALL people regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. The haters are simply goin to die out, replaced by our enlightened generation of young people all doin their own thing without fear or shame.

About time huh Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Migrants after Brexit: 'If you don't want me, I don't want you either' C C 1 82 Jun 29, 2023 12:02 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Alex Jones shut down on the internet Magical Realist 8 815 Aug 8, 2018 10:00 PM
Last Post: stryder
  Why gun violence research has been shut down for 20 years Magical Realist 55 4,775 Feb 27, 2018 06:32 AM
Last Post: Syne