Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Acting like an extravert has benefits, but not for introverts

C C Offline
https://aeon.co/ideas/acting-like-an-ext...introverts

EXCERPT: . . . For decades, personality psychologists have noticed a striking, consistent pattern: extraverts are happier more of the time than introverts. For anyone interested in promoting wellbeing, this has raised the question of whether it might be beneficial to encourage people to act more extraverted. Evidence to date has suggested it might. [...] lab studies have similarly found that prompting people, including introverts, to act more like an extravert makes them feel happier and truer to themselves.

Before we all start doing our best extravert impressions in pursuit of greater happiness, though, a team of researchers [...] urge caution, writing in a paper at PsyArXiv: ‘Until we have a well-rounded understanding of both the positive and negative consequences of extraverted behaviour, advocating any real-world applications of acting extraverted could be premature and potentially hazardous.’

To get to the bottom of things, the team conducted the first ever randomised controlled trial of an ‘act more extraverted’ intervention but, unlike previous research, they looked beyond the lab at the positive and negative effects on people’s feelings in daily life.

[...] write the researchers, ‘the main effects of the intervention were wholly positive, and no costs of extraverted behaviour were detected for the average participant.’ The advantages were to a large extent mediated by participants acting more extraverted more often – though, interestingly, not by being in more social situations: ie, by changing the quality of their social interactions, not the quantity of them.

But the story does not end there, because the researchers also looked specifically at the introverts in their sample to see whether the apparently cost-free positive benefits of the ‘act extraverted’ intervention also manifested for them. Although previous research has suggested that both introverts and extraverts alike benefit just the same from acting more extraverted, this was not the case here.

First and unsurprisingly, introverts did not succeed in increasing their extraverted behaviour as much as other participants. [...] Unlike extraverts, they also did not show momentary gains in authenticity, and in retrospect they reported lower authenticity. The ‘act extraverted’ intervention also appeared to increase introverts’ retrospective fatigue levels and experience of negative emotions. [...] team [...] also made an important point that strong introverts might not desire to experience positive emotions as frequently as extraverts.

However, the idea that introverts could gain from learning to be more extraverted, more often, is not dead....

MORE: https://aeon.co/ideas/acting-like-an-ext...introverts
Syne Offline
Of course it's flawed to tell people to "act extroverted" and then expect them to be authentic. You just told them to put on a facade. Learning to be less inhibited and stifled is not a minor undertaking, but introverts can learn to gain energy from social interactions. Not full-time and likely not as much as a natural extrovert, but nonetheless.
Secular Sanity Offline
I’m not so sure that I buy into the introversion/extroversion personality traits. It could be similar to the left-brain/right-brain myth. I think that some people just need more attention and stimulation than others but the majority of people probably fall someplace in between.

I’m shy, and I don’t like a lot of attention, but being shy and introverted aren’t really the same thing. I do need more alone time than most people, and I’m quiet at times, but that’s just because I like to take it all in, even the little things. I have noticed though, that people who’d be considered extroverts often display unnecessary, nervous chatter. It’s almost as if they’re narrating out loud by giving you a play-by-play.
Leigha Offline
There's nothing wrong with being an introvert. And many people, if we're honest, are both introverted and extroverted. Just depends on the situation.
Magical Realist Offline
I've long identified as an introvert as a justification for my tendency to want to be alone. But frankly I do enjoy being around people, at least for a while. It's like the icing on the cake. I especially enjoy children, but their high energy drains on me after a while and I have to return to my solitude. Furthermore being extroverted tends to exhaust me over time because of all the pretending and social games I have to play on top of just being my authentic self. But that is a skill we all need to learn and exhibit within certain limits. So maybe the introvert/extrovert dichotomy is more of spectrum where we all more or less share in the traits of both poles. Sounds reasonable to me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Studying benefits of saying "no" + Medicine's bad philosophy threatens your health C C 0 81 Aug 25, 2022 04:22 PM
Last Post: C C
  The benefits & downsides of being extraverted + Expect to be happy in your 50s & 60s C C 5 152 Aug 18, 2022 11:43 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Why autism is more common in boys? + Have introverts really fared better in lockdown? C C 0 107 Apr 19, 2021 04:37 PM
  Psychology research shows ‘water cooler talk’ can have big benefits C C 0 201 Dec 3, 2020 12:53 AM
Lightbulb Coronavirus for introverts: Quarantine can be a liberation Leigha 6 476 Mar 30, 2020 02:55 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  Acting Goofy Zinjanthropos 49 7,512 Jul 28, 2018 03:04 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  Extroverts more exhausted than introverts + Some myths about brain just won't go away C C 2 586 Sep 21, 2017 01:12 AM
Last Post: Syne