Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chappie Is Pretty Much an R-Rated Fairy Tale

C C Offline
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/geeks-guide...-tatchell/

EXCERPT: Chappie is the third feature film from South African-born director Neill Blomkamp, and the second to be co-written with his wife Terri Tatchell. Blomkamp, who got his start in special effects, is known for his obsessively detailed futuristic visuals, but Tatchell is more focused on the characters. She thinks Chappie, about a police robot who becomes self-aware and childlike, benefits from her perspective as a mother and her research into developmental psychology. She also thinks the film is less about hardware and more about magic and wonder....
Magical Realist Online
I'm thinking Short Circuit meets E.T. Not exactly thrilled about it.
Yazata Offline
(Mar 9, 2015 07:20 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: I'm thinking Short Circuit meets E.T. Not exactly thrilled about it.

I liked District 9 but wasn't thrilled by it.

The visuals were great and the South African setting was interesting. But the story seemed like a heavy-handed political allegory, with aliens in the place of blacks.

Chappie looks like it might be more attractive. It looks like it might be a cinematic inquiry into what it means to be a person. Chappie becomes self-aware and develops a 'personality' that the other more mechanical robots lack.

So how should human beings respond to him?

That has the makings of a good movie.