Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Coming Worm Apocalypse Should Terrify You (get in line doomsayings)

C C Offline
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-coming...errify-you

EXCERPT: . . . The study reviewed global evidence for loss of earthworms under modern conventional farming. Long-term farming trials—some that have run for over 170 years—consistently found losses of 50 percent to 100 percent of worm biomass, with an average loss of more than 80 percent. In other words, modern farming practices have killed off four out of five worms that once lived on farms. Farmers around the world have been turning verdant fields into subterranean deserts.

This matters because recent scientific advances have shown how soil life partners with plants through the original underground economy. [...] And no less than Charles Darwin recognized the importance of worms mixing organic matter into fertile soil. He called worms “God’s ploughmen” [...]

So just what’s been killing off the world’s worms? The new study blames tillage (plowing) and intensive use of chemical fertilizers that deplete soil organic matter. In other words, practices that form the backbone of modern conventional agriculture destroy worm food and decimate soil life. In the U.S. and around the world, soil organic matter levels are roughly half of their historical levels before the advent of modern agriculture....

MORE: https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-coming...errify-you
Yazata Offline
When I was a kid, I used to see lots of earthworms, particularly after it rained. But I don't see them any more.

Another thing that's gone away are snails. They used to be everywhere, now I never see them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Worm that jumps from rats to slugs to human brains has invaded Southeast US C C 0 70 Sep 24, 2023 03:25 PM
Last Post: C C
  We can survive on mushrooms, rats, & insects after a sun-blocking apocalypse C C 2 90 Mar 6, 2023 03:56 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Whatever happened to the Bee Apocalypse? C C 3 128 Jun 29, 2022 11:49 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Science should get political: That competent researchers are apolitical is false C C 5 305 Oct 16, 2020 04:50 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Banana apocalypse finally begins: Fungus hits the Americas, the end is nigh C C 0 192 Aug 13, 2019 06:04 AM
  Can the impending banana apocalypse be prevented? C C 0 367 Apr 17, 2018 05:54 PM
  Why you should believe in the digital afterlife + Real reason turtles have shells C C 2 839 Jul 21, 2016 12:38 AM