Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Outing A.I.: Beyond the Turing Test

C C Offline
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ring-test/

EXCERPT: [...] Unfortunately, the popular conception of A.I., at least as depicted in countless movies, games and books, still seems to assume that humanlike characteristics (anger, jealousy, confusion, avarice, pride, desire, not to mention cold alienation) are the most important ones to be on the lookout for. This anthropocentric fallacy may contradict the implications of contemporary A.I. research, but it is still a prism through which much of our culture views an encounter with advanced synthetic cognition.

[...] I argue that we should abandon the conceit that a “true” Artificial Intelligence must care deeply about humanity — us specifically — as its focus and motivation. Perhaps what we really fear, even more than a Big Machine that wants to kill us, is one that sees us as irrelevant. Worse than being seen as an enemy is not being seen at all.

Unless we assume that humanlike intelligence represents all possible forms of intelligence – a whopper of an assumption – why define an advanced A.I. by its resemblance to ours? After all, “intelligence” is notoriously difficult to define, and human intelligence simply can’t exhaust the possibilities.

[...] We need a popular culture of A.I. that is less parochial and narcissistic, one that is based on more than simply looking for a machine version of our own reflection. As a basis for staging encounters between various A.I.s and humans, that would be a deeply flawed precondition for communication. Needless to say, our historical track record with “first contacts,” even among ourselves, does not provide clear comfort that we are well-prepared....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article The Turing Tests of today are mistaken C C 0 17 Mar 24, 2024 10:36 PM
Last Post: C C
  Research Is the Turing Test dead? C C 0 79 Dec 2, 2023 08:48 AM
  Beyond classical computing without fault-tolerance? C C 0 391 Apr 28, 2017 02:58 AM
  How Alan Turing played dumb to fool US intelligence C C 0 638 Nov 30, 2014 09:30 PM