Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I assure you all my mental health is up to par but supernatural agencies still abound

Ostronomos Offline
There has been some misunderstanding of late that I would like to address that my experiences are due to substandard mental health. I assure you all nothing can be further from the truth. The popular consensus is that such experiences can be indistinguishable from mental illness and are therefore indicative of mental illness. But this logic would be in error as there is no direct correlation between the two. I wrote a new thread in General Discussion yesterday evening highlighting a recent experience I had with books. I am a special kind of rare individual who has access to the supernatural world and God and there is no necessarily indicative signs or indication that any of this can be explained in the field of Psychiatry. Again, I assure all of you that my mental health is in check and up to par. Please don't disrespect me by making judgments on my mental health status and stereotyping me as a nutjob or something of that nature.

Thank you.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Jul 27, 2018 02:47 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: There has been some misunderstanding of late that I would like to address that my experiences are due to substandard mental health. I assure you all nothing can be further from the truth. The popular consensus is that such experiences can be indistinguishable from mental illness and are therefore indicative of mental illness. But this logic would be in error as there is no direct correlation between the two. I wrote a new thread in General Discussion yesterday evening highlighting a recent experience I had with books. I am a special kind of rare individual who has access to the supernatural world and God and there is no necessarily indicative signs or indication that any of this can be explained in the field of Psychiatry. Again, I assure all of you that my mental health is in check and up to par. Please don't disrespect me by making judgments on my mental health status and stereotyping me as a nutjob or something of that nature.

Thank you.

Okay. Sorry.
Syne Offline
No, you're definitely a nutjob, and your mental health is highly suspect...even just from this post.
If you don't want people to judge you, you shouldn't be on the internet. Or you should at least try to communicate without all the esoteric Langan nonsense and obvious indicators of delusions of grandeur (e.g. "I am a special kind of rare individual"). All delusional people think it's something other than mental issues.
Ostronomos Offline
(Jul 27, 2018 04:38 PM)Syne Wrote: No, you're definitely a nutjob, and your mental health is highly suspect...even just from this post.
If you don't want people to judge you, you shouldn't be on the internet. Or you should at least try to communicate without all the esoteric Langan nonsense and obvious indicators of delusions of grandeur (e.g. "I am a special kind of rare individual"). All delusional people think it's something other than mental issues.

I think you're the nutjob. There is no indication in any of my posts that I am the nutjob. It's a case of misunderstanding. And I definitely do not have delusions of grandeur. Even if my mental health is highly suspect you still won't be able to determine that from my posts alone. And most people with mental health issues are aware of their problem and happily admit it when it is pointed out to them. I say I am not in that category because I really do not have mental health issues! I can guarantee that. In your quick haste to judge me you have overlooked the fact that it is illogical to assume even the slightest correlation between what I say and what my mental health is like. You seem to be forgetting that there is the possibility of a supernatural world layer over this ordinary one.
Syne Offline
(Jul 27, 2018 04:41 PM)Ostronomos Wrote:
(Jul 27, 2018 04:38 PM)Syne Wrote: No, you're definitely a nutjob, and your mental health is highly suspect...even just from this post.

I think you're the nutjob. There is no indication in any of my posts that I am the nutjob. It's a case of misunderstanding.

Everyone who reads your posts to the contrary. Any failure to communicate is your own, and your inability in that regard is indicative of problems relating to others...which is why you often repeatedly reply to your own posts.
Ostronomos Offline
(Jul 27, 2018 04:46 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Jul 27, 2018 04:41 PM)Ostronomos Wrote:

I think you're the nutjob. There is no indication in any of my posts that I am the nutjob. It's a case of misunderstanding.

Everyone who reads your posts to the contrary. Any failure to communicate is your own, and your inability in that regard is indicative of problems relating to others...which is why you often repeatedly reply to your own posts.

Relating to others and having real mental health issues are two completely different things. It is difficult to communicate the supernatural world without crossing boundaries into what can be perceived as mental health issues and the stigma it bears for those unfortunate people who have an illness of any kind. I have a bit of difficulty relating to others but I am certainly not mentally ill. That difficulty may be the result of experiencing radically different things.
Syne Offline
No, they're not. People who cannot relate to others have a fundamental problem with their theory of mind, which cannot help but effect their own mental health.
For instance, I believe god exists, but I also know that the posters here cannot understand that on the gradient I do. If you cannot effectively communicate it, it's not worth communicating. You must have the intent and effort to be understood. You're starting from the premise that you can't be understood. The mentally ill fear being predictable and understood.
Yazata Offline
(Jul 27, 2018 02:47 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: The popular consensus is that such experiences can be indistinguishable from mental illness and are therefore indicative of mental illness. But this logic would be in error as there is no direct correlation between the two.

I'm not a shrink and even if I was, I'm in no position to make a psychiatric diagnosis of a stranger on an internet discussion board. But I do believe that psychiatric hallucinations and delusions very often take religious forms. You are almost certainly correct that this observation doesn't imply that all religious experiences are the result of psychopathology.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=s010...xt&tlng=en

The more philosophical problem is if there really is a difference,then how do we tell them apart?

Even if we accept that religious experiences are fundamentally different in kind from psychiatric hallucinations/delusions, the problem remains that if the extraordinary religious experiences are entirely private and subjective, perceptible only to the person having them, then why should anyone else believe that the reports are revelations of any sort of objective truth?
Ostronomos Offline
(Jul 27, 2018 08:42 PM)Yazata Wrote:
(Jul 27, 2018 02:47 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: The popular consensus is that such experiences can be indistinguishable from mental illness and are therefore indicative of mental illness. But this logic would be in error as there is no direct correlation between the two.

I'm not a shrink and even if I was, I'm in no position to make a psychiatric diagnosis of a stranger on an internet discussion board. But I do believe that psychiatric hallucinations and delusions very often take religious forms. You are almost certainly correct that this observation doesn't imply that all religious experiences are the result of psychopathology.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=s010...xt&tlng=en

The more philosophical problem is if there really is a difference,then how do we tell them apart?

Even if we accept that religious experiences are fundamentally different in kind from psychiatric hallucinations/delusions, the problem remains that if the extraordinary religious experiences are entirely private and subjective, perceptible only to the person having them, then why should anyone else believe that the reports are revelations of any sort of objective truth?

The burden of proof rests on the person having the experiences. If they can prove religious experiences are fundamentally different in kind then their self-validation would be met with success. However, there is a certain kind of intelligence inherent in the subject of these experiences that makes them qualified for interpretation as their brains are different in kind from ordinary people, otherwise it would be unable to access such experiences in the first place. This includes people with so-called Psychic ability and mediums.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Sex, mental health, and the culture wars C C 1 25 Mar 3, 2024 12:59 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Link between mental health & ADHD is strong – so why aren’t we paying attention? C C 0 72 Jan 17, 2023 09:26 PM
Last Post: C C
  Are you guilty of health-signaling? + Understanding gender, sex & gender identity C C 5 250 Mar 1, 2021 06:10 PM
  Personality is not only about who but also where you are C C 1 223 Jan 2, 2020 05:40 AM
  Daytime sleepiness linked to risk for Alzheimer’s + Personality traits mental health C C 0 417 Sep 9, 2018 08:10 PM
  Big data & mental health + Arrogance & obnoxious equals popular + 400,000 y/o human C C 0 404 Mar 16, 2017 02:08 AM