Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Disney drops James Gunn from *Guardians Of The Galaxy* after offensive tweets

C C Offline
More than a few days belated, but still belongs on the Hollywood casualty list of Twitter addiction. Especially since it heralds the start of retroactively penalizing actors, writers, producers, directors, etc for even old social media comments.

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the...092148.php

EXCERPT: Director James Gunn has been dropped from Disney’s Marvel franchise 'Guardians of the Galaxy' over old tweets. “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, in a statement.

Gunn [...] apologized late Thursday after a series of old (now deleted) tweets resurfaced in which the filmmaker made what he admitted were “offensive” jokes about taboo topics like rape and pedophilia.

Gunn frequently tweets about his opposition to President Donald Trump, and thus drew the ire of fans of the president [...] who began posting a series of old tweets by Gunn [...] Online sleuths then dug up dozens of old tweets of the sort Gunn admitted were “offensive,” many from between 2008 and 2011.

[...] Gunn [...] said he understood Disney’s decision to fire him. [...] "In the past, I have apologized for humor of mine that hurt people. I truly felt sorry and meant every word of my apologies. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it."

That sounded like a reasonable enough explanation to thousands of fans who quickly came to Gunn's defense; however, once other users pulled together and exposed the full extent of the offensive tweets and jokes, it was much, much, harder to defend [...] This firing comes on as well as the storm of tweets from fans who have been calling for equal justice to be the standard - even for a director fanboys love and adore as much as Gunn. It's sparked a heated cultural debate...

MORE: http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07/20/j...ve-tweets/

RELATED: Roseanne Barr “Disgusted” At Support For James Gunn Pedophilia Jokes

~
Syne Offline
Outrage equality. Or...you reap what you sow.

In a now deleted tweet from Gunn:

I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean @ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent.
- https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s...clnk&gl=us

So apology or not, he seemed to be cool with ABC firing Roseanne for offensive jokes. He'd be a hypocrite to expect otherwise for himself now...which is probably why he deleted this tweet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Indigenous communities are the best guardians of Latin America’s forests C C 1 112 Oct 1, 2021 03:51 PM
Last Post: C C
  Stop calling Gen-Z "millennials" -- it is offensive speech crime (age communities) C C 4 417 Jun 23, 2020 06:43 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Posting old homophobic tweets from female comedians to defend Kevin Hart? C C 1 541 Dec 10, 2018 09:40 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Georgetown University places Christine Fair on “research leave” after fiery tweets C C 1 668 Oct 7, 2018 09:13 PM
Last Post: Syne