Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trump's gaslighting of America

Magical Realist Offline
Think of this in terms of everything Trump says about anything:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p...aslighting

"A form of intimidation or psychological abuse, sometimes called Ambient Abuse where false information is presented to the victim, making them doubt their own memory, perception and quite often, their sanity. The classic example of gaslighting is to switch something around on someone that you know they're sure to notice, but then deny knowing anything about it, and to explain that they "must be imagining things" when they challenge these changes.

A more psychological definition of gaslighting is "an increasing frequency of systematically withholding factual information from, and/or providing false information to, the victim - having the gradual effect of making them anxious, confused, and less able to trust their own memory and perception."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Journalists at both the New York Times Magazine and Teen Vogue, as well as psychologists Bryant Welch, Robert Feldman and Leah McElrath, have described some of the actions of Donald Trump during the 2016 US presidential election and his term as president as examples of gaslighting. Ben Yagoda wrote in the Chronicle of Higher Education in January 2017, that the term gaslighting had become topical again as the result of Trump's behavior, saying that Trump's "habitual tendency to say "X", and then, at some later date, indignantly declare, 'I did not say "X". In fact, I would never dream of saying "X"'." had brought new notability to the term."---
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

[Image: GettyImages-488226322.jpg]
[Image: GettyImages-488226322.jpg]

C C Offline
Doubtless works best from a position of authority (like his) or the judgemental glare of board members (who are part of a secret cabal) emitting the impression of evaluating an individual's claims.

Vaguely calls to the mind those old B&W movies and television shows which revolved around plots to make a soon-to-be heiress feel like she was going insane. So she'd either be locked-up in a ward or accidentally kill herself, and the inheritance go to other relatives or an organization.

~
Syne Offline
Nah, just trolling. And it works every time.

Gaslighting requires cooperation from the victim, by changing their own beliefs to match the narrative of the tormentor.
Magical Realist Offline
(Jul 19, 2018 09:26 PM)Syne Wrote: Nah, just trolling. And it works every time.

Gaslighting requires cooperation from the victim, by changing their own beliefs to match the narrative of the tormentor.

No..all gaslighting requires is the intent of the sociopathic liar using it to manipulate people's minds. No cooperation by the victim is required for this to be gaslighting. If the gaslighting doesn't work, it doesn't make it any less gaslighting. It is all about the intent and actions of the perpetrator.
C C Offline
Everyday gaslighting is what others might attribute to Trump. Those who don't believe he's behaviorally disciplined enough to really conform to a long-term, deliberate strategy of public manipulation of that caliber (primarily aimed at news-media folk and critics at large, I assume). Wherein the blame falls on his literally having an inconsistent nature to begin with, but in his case he tries to turn that shortcoming into a haphazard strength or advantage for disorienting others.

OTOH, back when Steve Bannon was influencing Trump, his plan was "to throw everybody else off balance, knock them back before they have a chance to resist" and "rupture the establishment -- we want disruption -- disruption is power". Tactically generating such confusion is at least an aspect of deliberate gaslighting. That too, however, could have simply recruited or relied on Trump's own carelessness, "I enjoy fighting" (over apparently anything), and oscillating natural personality tendencies to facilitate it.

~
Syne Offline
Gaslighting only works where is changes the beliefs of people. I don't know about you, but my beliefs cannot be changed without my participation. No accounting for weak-minded people.
Magical Realist Offline
(Jul 20, 2018 03:34 AM)Syne Wrote: Gaslighting only works where is changes the beliefs of people. I don't know about you, but my beliefs cannot be changed without my participation. No accounting for weak-minded people.

It doesn't matter if gaslighting works or not. It's still gaslighting. And it's a form of lying manipulation used by sociopaths and scumbags. Leave it you to morally defend it.
Syne Offline
No, gaslighting is an intentional scheme, and meaningless if it doesn't work. Hence Trump is only trolling...unless you really want to give him more credit than he deserves. That's on you, and your paranoid conspiracies.
Magical Realist Offline
(Jul 20, 2018 03:59 AM)Syne Wrote: No, gaslighting is an intentional scheme, and meaningless if it doesn't work. Hence Trump is only trolling...unless you really want to give him more credit than he deserves. That's on you, and your paranoid conspiracies.

No..gaslighting is gaslighting whether it works or not. It is a bullshit attempt to manipulate other minds. EOS..
Syne Offline
I guess you missed the part about it being an intentional scheme. And an attempt to gaslight someone is not gaslighting them, just like an attempt to kill someone isn't murder.

But again, you can keep giving Trump all the undeserved credit you like. I think you're just gaslighting yourself. It's called paranoia.