Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Shadow Knows

Zinjanthropos Offline
Actually I don't know a lot about shadows but I have questions.

Is a shadow a 2D object? Can only a 3D object cast a 2D shadow? If  a 2D object can cast a shadow would it be a 1D object? And so forth....(drum roll for next query) could a 3D object be the shadow of a 4D object?
Syne Offline
3D & 2D objects can cast both 1D (a line), 2D (a single plain), & 3D (multi-plain) shadows.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jul 18, 2018 06:45 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Actually I don't know a lot about shadows but I have questions.

Is a shadow a 2D object? Can only a 3D object cast a 2D shadow? If  a 2D object can cast a shadow would it be a 1D object? And so forth....(drum roll for next query) could a 3D object be the shadow of a 4D object?

yes
or a projection of a 4d as a 3d
Zinjanthropos Offline
What if every dimension is a shadow of a higher dimension, in descending order of course, excluding the highest & lowest dimension. Got to be careful because I always feel I'm giving Ostro more ammo....lol. (no disrespect intended).
confused2 Offline
A shadow (by my [i]definition[/]) is a projection of a 3d object onto 2d surface. 2d surfaces are always flat (by my definition) else they'd be 3d. If you take a 3d object like a seagull and run over it several times it does tend towards being 2d object but is very dead. The actual physical projection of a 3d object onto a 2d surface looks pretty terminal for the 3d object. By extension, the projection of a 4d object onto 3 dimensions probably wouldn't be good for the 4d object unless is is already 'flat' in the 4th dimension - which describes a 3d object.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:By extension, the projection of a 4d object onto 3 dimensions probably wouldn't be good for the 4d object unless is is already 'flat' in the 4th dimension -

Wink  love the squashed seagull analogy. Just how many seagulls are in your neighborhood? 

They tell me the geometry of space is flat, yet when they measure the volume of the observable universe then it's treated as a sphere. I suppose the sphere is so vast that if your in or on it then it's closer to flat than round, Idk. Using your analogy, then our 3D universe could be the flattening of a 4D universe. As flat as a squashed seagull. Spatial dimensions only, excluding time.

As to.what might cause a.universe.to flatten out, well our clue might be expansion. Just as a dead seagull expands 2 dimensionally with each car tyre that runs over it., its shadow on the 2D surface grows too.  Big Grin Imagine, our universe is expanding because the 4d universe is being squashed flat. But like us, the 4d inhabitants don't notice.  Tongueerhaps the extra dimensions aren't curled up, they're just squashing one another.lol
confused2 Offline
Just how many seagulls are in your neighborhood?
Undreds of em.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Jul 19, 2018 01:37 AM)confused2 Wrote: Just how many seagulls are in your neighborhood?
Undreds of em.

Is there a French Fry truck nearby or a large body of water?
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jul 18, 2018 09:59 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: What if every dimension is a shadow of a higher dimension, in descending order of course, excluding  the highest & lowest dimension. Got to be careful because I always feel I'm giving Ostro more ammo....lol. (no disrespect intended).

there is a certain scientific validity to that premise when you watch all the documentarys by Brian Green & michio Kako and various others physicists.
the close relationship to other dimensions is likely to echoe in some part to a relationship... be it minor or major.

transdimensional is probably what most people perceive as the narative.
though, in reality the known variations of what we deem to be of our current dimension are still quite un known i would guess.
and its just a guess.
confused2 Offline
Is there a French Fry truck nearby or a large body of water?
Large body of water - the English Channel - we use it to transfer our waste plastic into the Atlantic.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No one knows why rocks are exploding from asteroid Bennu C C 0 238 Dec 7, 2019 11:13 PM
Last Post: C C