AI rest my case (Is artificial intelligence too dull?)

https://www.1843magazine.com/technology/...st-my-case

EXCERPT: . . . We are obviously still a fair way from the researchers’ goal of what is technically called Artificial General Intelligence: a machine that can successfully perform any task an average human could and even, perhaps, become self-aware. But what is really engaging in all this is the spectacle of watching IBM’s AI researchers gamely think through the kinds of problem-solving activities that, rolled together, would make something like a human brain.

In their quest to do so, the company’s coneheads have over the last three decades created a chess player (Deep Blue), a quiz contestant (Watson) and now a debater (by which time they had apparently run out of names altogether). If you wanted to make machines self-aware, could you choose worse groups of humans to emulate than chess players, quiz nerds and people who think debating is a sport? Roll Deep Blue, Watson and Project Debater into one entity, and you would essentially be creating the most bully-able kid in school – one of those children who are not even popular with their own mothers. It would be like bringing Pinocchio to life and sending him out into the world with a note saying “Kick Me” pinned to his back.

The irony of the route they have mapped for themselves is that if IBM does one day succeed in creating an intelligent machine, conscious of its own consciousness, capable of moving through the world and engaging its fellow sentient entities in conversation, it will most likely be a machine that no one will want to talk to....

MORE: https://www.1843magazine.com/technology/...st-my-case

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artificial Intelligence shows why atheism is unpopular C C 2 257 Oct 27, 2018 04:49 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Artificial intelligence can determine lung cancer type C C 0 137 Sep 17, 2018 05:54 PM
Last Post: C C
  Artificial intelligence researchers must learn ethics C C 0 161 Sep 1, 2017 05:39 PM
  Biased bots: Human prejudices sneak into artificial intelligence systems C C 0 195 Apr 14, 2017 08:03 PM
  Westworld & the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence C C 0 237 Nov 22, 2016 01:37 AM
  The Economic Singularity: Artificial intelligence and the death of capitalism C C 0 456 Jul 25, 2016 03:59 AM
  Artificial Intelligence Could Help Catch Alzheimer's Early C C 0 337 Jul 8, 2016 07:39 PM
  What human emotions do we really want of artificial intelligence? C C 3 747 Aug 30, 2015 06:59 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  The future of artificial intelligence C C 0 420 Jul 8, 2015 12:38 AM
  Artificial intelligence discovers planarian regeneration model C C 0 464 Jun 9, 2015 12:36 PM