Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Smoothies

Magical Realist Offline
Just went to the store and bought bags of frozen cherries, blackberries, blueberries, and peaches. I'm going smoothie crazy. Today I start with the delectable and decadent cherry smoothie. About a cup of frozen cherries, two tablespoons brown sugar, and about 2 and half cups of lowfat milk. Mix in blender and serve. Here's some more to experiment with:

http://www.lakeeffectliving.com/Jun12/Fo...thies.html

[Image: Featurette.Smoothies.jpg]
[Image: Featurette.Smoothies.jpg]

stryder Offline
Concentrated fruits can be extremely high in sugar content, so be careful drinking them if you happen to be diabetic or just sensitive to sugar. There are of course some drinks you can try that don't have as much sugar, in fact I remember reading of ones that include vegetables like Celery, cucumber and broccoli. (It was suggested that root vegetables are high in sugar to and most veg that would be safe to put in a smoothie, most people tend to avoid eating normally)
Magical Realist Offline
(Feb 16, 2015 07:18 AM)stryder Wrote: Concentrated fruits can be extremely high in sugar content, so be careful drinking them if you happen to be diabetic or just sensitive to sugar.  There are of course some drinks you can try that don't have as much sugar, in fact I remember reading of ones that include vegetables like Celery, cucumber and broccoli.  (It was suggested that root vegetables are high in sugar to and most veg that would be safe to put in a smoothie, most people tend to avoid eating normally)

True. I'm prediabetic so that's something I need to consider. So often we think of fruit is so good for you forgetting its high sugar content.

I wanna invent a pineapple smoothie, but the pineapple has a tendency to curdle the milk. There's gotta be someway to do this.
stryder Offline
I would gather it curdles due to pineapple juice being acidic and pineapple itself being alkali forming when ingested. (You could try using different types of milk such as skimmed, semi-skimmed to lower the fat levels )

It would take some doing but if you wanted to truly master how to make a smoothy with pineapple, you'd have to try and balance the Ph level with other fruit juices as additives. The problem would be balancing the initial acidic nature with it's alkali formation, which means you'd likely have multiple stages of preparations to make it possible (to deal with the changes at differently timed intervals)

You could go the way of a Piña colada and use coconut milk instead of cow milk. (That's the white of a coconut grated and rehydrated or just crushed and strained to produce a milky liquid, not just the water that's found in a fresh coconut)
Magical Realist Offline
(Feb 22, 2015 01:12 AM)stryder Wrote: I would gather it curdles due to pineapple juice being acidic and pineapple itself being alkali forming when ingested.  (You could try using different types of milk such as skimmed, semi-skimmed to lower the fat levels )

It would take some doing but if you wanted to truly master how to make a smoothy with pineapple, you'd have to try and balance the Ph level with other fruit juices as additives.  The problem would be balancing the initial acidic nature with it's alkali formation, which means you'd likely have multiple stages of preparations to make it possible (to deal with the changes at differently timed intervals)

You could go the way of a Piña colada and use coconut milk instead of cow milk.  (That's the white of a coconut grated and rehydrated or just crushed and strained to produce a milky liquid, not just the water that's found in a fresh coconut)

Coconut milk! That's it. I love coconut. I could freeze the pineapple chunks and then blend in the cm. Thanks for this!
Magical Realist Offline
Brazilian lemonade
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time:
Cooling Time:
Yields: 8 servings (1 cup each)

Description
Brazilian lemons look and taste more like common limes, so this lemonade recipe does not call for lemons. The touch of sweetened condensed milk gives this drink a rich, subtle creaminess while the blender creates a frothy finish. This refreshing cooler, ideal on a hot summer day or as a tasty starter, is best served immediately as it becomes bitter tasting when made ahead of time.

Ingredients
4 fresh limes, washed thoroughly
6 cups water, divided
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk, divided
14 ice cubes (1 tray), divided, plus more for serving

Directions
CUT off ends of each lime and cut each into 8 wedges. Place 16 wedges, 3 cups water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk and 7 ice cubes in blender. Cover; blend for 20 seconds. (Blending longer will cause drink to become bitter.) Strain through a fine mesh strainer into pitcher to remove rinds. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Best served immediately over ice cubes or crushed ice.
Magical Realist Offline
Update on smoothie experimentations: I decided to try making a rhubarb smoothie. Bad idea. Rhubarb is extremely tart and I ended up having to add a lot of sugar. There was also some curdling of the milk. Just now I made a wonderful mango smoothie. And I discovered that if you blend it on high longer, it comes out like soft serve ice cream (like a "smoothie"! duh!) More updates as they happen...
cluelusshusbund Offline
I like beet juice... an wit a teaspoon of tart cherry juice to 4 oz beet juice it realy pops... i noticed on the tart cherry juice label that its good for smoothies... i add a teaspoon to my cereal wit blueberries or mixed-berries an it intensifies the berry flavor.!!!
cluelusshusbund Offline
That tart cherry juice im talkikn about is "concentrate"... it poors like syrup when its cold.!!!
elte Offline
I noticed that fuji apples and bananas go well together.  I just take turns biting from each, but they might work in a smoothie too.