Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Talent

Zinjanthropos Offline
What does.talent mean to you and I'm not referring to a form of currency. I'm talking about ability to perform a task. Perhaps no doubt some people are more skilled and able to do different things and some or all of it is genetic.

Physical abilities aside, could intelligence be a talent? Not just that but being adept at the subjective, does that take.talent? Are there varying degrees? For example: does it take.more talent to be theistic than atheistic and if so, are some people better at religion than others? Can talent reach the subjective and could.philosophy be considered a talent discipline .
C C Offline
(May 24, 2018 02:02 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: What does.talent mean to you and I'm not referring to a form of currency.

Usually there's some system behind the scene that appropriates an everyday word and its plural meanings for a purely specific purpose in its technical nomenclature. But if a person doesn't like the ambiguity of ordinary language to begin with (the confusion and misrepresentations it can generate in discourse), then in some cases there's practicality in making one's own distinctions for words as long as they're stated as being in play for the sake of precision (or the personal adjustments are easily inferred as taking place).

Quote:I'm talking about ability to perform a task. Perhaps no doubt some people are more skilled and able to do different things and some or all of it is genetic.

"Skill" is acquired and thereby would also indicate training having taken place to mold even a raw, indigenous capacity. But human resource management muddles up the meaning of "talent" in this age of social justice policing, where businesses worry about treating an individual or group of such as more "special" than the bulk of employees. Not to mention that they're surely referencing workers that are already beyond the innate stage -- that have received schooling, training, conditioning, etc (i.e., skilled).

Quote:Physical abilities aside, could intelligence be a talent? Not just that but being adept at the subjective, does that take.talent? Are there varying degrees?

Potentially any ability as long it wasn't outputted and conditioned originally by formal instruction. But characteristics common to the general population (like intelligence) would have to be of an unusual level to qualify as "talent". Which in turn seems to suggest that the term is indeed a refinement of more generic "aptitude", stressing gravitation toward accomplishment or success (though a synonym role is still arguably there).

Quote:For example: does it take.more talent to be theistic than atheistic and if so, are some people better at religion than others? Can talent reach the subjective and could.philosophy be considered a talent discipline .

Due to the aforementioned, an aptitude (rather than talent) would be more applicable in the context of theism, atheism -- unless achievement, celebrityhood, prosperity, etc are actored in. There are also qualms about subsuming doxastic states (beliefs) under either term if the latter are often job-oriented. (Which is to say, why resort to minor classification error to begin with if "inherent" or "inborn" suffices?)

Of course, there's the question of how valid any claim of talent is versus it being incubated by environmental stimulation early on in the life of a child. But one that exhibits a genius caliber knack for picking-up something without formal instruction would probably qualify. "Innate" might even be replaced with "non-formal acquisition" with regard to yet another added, tweaked definition of "talent", if that alleviates a fear of "genetic mysticism".

~
Ostronomos Offline
Zinjanthropos Wrote:What does.talent mean to you and I'm not referring to a form of currency.

The ability or power to make use of one's environment and resources. As CC noted above it is the acquisition of a skill that defines talent,

Quote:I'm talking about ability to perform a task. Perhaps no doubt some people are more skilled and able to do different things and some or all of it is genetic.

The source of talent could be better communication between the left and right hemispheres of the brain resulting in a high body-kinesthetic intelligence for example. The ability to master a sport or martial arts. 

Quote: Physical abilities aside, could intelligence be a talent?

No. Intelligence is a trait or as CC said aptitude. It is the performance of one's intelligence that qualifies as a talent.

Quote:Not just that but being adept at the subjective, does that take.talent? Are there varying degrees? For example: does it take.more talent to be theistic than atheistic and if so, are some people better at religion than others? Can talent reach the subjective and could.philosophy be considered a talent discipline .

Talent is always objective so no. Philosophical talent is also objective.
Syne Offline
(May 24, 2018 02:02 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: What does.talent mean to you and I'm not referring to a form of currency. I'm talking about ability to perform a task. Perhaps no doubt some people are more skilled and able to do different things and some or all of it is genetic.

Physical abilities aside, could intelligence be a talent? Not just that but being adept at the subjective, does that take.talent? Are there varying degrees? For example: does it take.more talent to be theistic than atheistic and if so, are some people better at religion than others? Can talent reach the subjective and could.philosophy be considered a talent discipline .

It seems that the perception of talent differs quite broadly between those who possess definite or unique talents and those who don't. People often talk like a person is born with a talent for music, art, etc., but that's not the case. I wouldn't even go so far as to say anyone is born with a particular aptitude, but these do seem to develop quite early. And it is aptitude that provides the motivation to master a skill.

Is intelligence a talent? No. But discernment is a learned skill, that requires the same aptitude as any talent. IME, both theists and atheists can lack discernment. Both can just be on a bandwagon, either of pseudo-intellectualism or equally unquestioning piety. A large factor in discernment is being able and willing to play devil's advocate. IMO, it takes more skill to argue for theism, since atheism generally only requires scientism. There are certainly people more skilled at arguing either than others. But "better at religion" isn't necessarily a question of theological acumen, and being better at living up to religious ideals may not even be exclusive to the religious.

Just about anything someone has the aptitude and puts in the effort to master is a talent. But some people seem to be lacking in both.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Aptitude seems to be a recurring theme with respondents so far. My online dictionary describes aptitude simply as a 'natural ability to do something' which IMHO seems a very broad and basic description.

Perhaps that definition suits athletes and entertainers most and it tends to give the brain/mind a lesser role to play for people.so endowed. Capacity to learn or intelligence seems to take a back seat to natural ability.

Trying to think if it's possible.to have an aptitude for religion especially if it might not require a lot of brainwork. Preaching would.be a separate aptitude altogether and I don't think that even requires an actual religious person. I suppose one can be a natural theist but can you rate someone as being good at theism? Maybe that requires an aptitude for.defending it.

Using religion to accomplish a personal goal as in gaining power over followers, is that a.talent?
Syne Offline
Aptitude is generally both the ability and the motivation to do something. People get hung up on the "natural ability" simply because they lack the motivation to become skilled at some particular task. People are fond of saying things like "I can't even draw a stick figure" or "I'm horrible at math" or "I could never do..." as running excuses not to try. Granted, some of that may be a fear of failure too. IQ would be the analogous natural ability where it comes to intellectual skills.

"Good at theism" would tend to be a facility for living up to a chosen creed's ideals, at least to a practicing theist. Apologetics tends to be more the field of theologians.
Public speaking and usury are not skills unique to religion.