Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I Used To Be a Holistic Nutritionist

C C Offline
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/i-used-...ritionist/

EXCERPT: [Editor’s note: SBM welcomes a guest contribution from Denby Royal, a former holistic nutritionist who has since left woo behind. Her story appears here as an updated and expanded version of a blog post from her website. Welcome Denby!]

As someone who has spent the better part of the last decade in the wellness realm, I have a moral obligation to do what is right. And what is right is to denounce my former beliefs, condemning an industry rife with deception.

The thing that led me to become a holistic nutritionist in the first place was my innate ability to doubt and criticize absolutely everything around me – a trait I believed I had well sharpened. Turns out, the honed sword of scrutiny I was wielding had morphed into a balloon sword. Squeaky, probably pink, and 100% imaginary. But here I was, nature-timing, walking barefoot, preaching organic, and not wearing deodorant, all the while brandishing my balloon sword in the face of all those who would listen.

Coconut oil! Squeak, squeak!
Pesticides! Squeak!
Toxins! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Then one day, my beloved balloon sword popped in my face.

How did this turn of events come to pass? It’s a bit of a convoluted story that I am still trying to understand. I can’t quite pin it down to one specific moment but can credit it to a series of events that dominoed my ideals. One of the first few dominos was likely laid by a ridiculous and nonsensical magazine in my local community; one of those publications full of snake oil, faith healers, Flat Earthers, and conspiracies about pretty much everything you can imagine [...] I was even asked to contribute my own brand of nonsense. I managed one interview before I couldn’t visualize myself being dragged any further under the hippy bus....

MORE: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/i-used-...ritionist/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK science body could be used as ‘cover for cronyism’ C C 0 75 Mar 3, 2021 12:17 AM
Last Post: C C
  Controversial psychology tests are often still used in US courts C C 0 152 Feb 19, 2020 04:15 AM
Last Post: C C