Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I Am Not an Easy Man

C C Offline
Seems like a different twist to a Goodbye Charlie scenario, where the whole population and its gender-roles invert rather than the male "protagonist" being physically converted to female. If my vague recollections of it are reliable, Blake Edward's remake of *Goodbye Charlie* in 1991 (called Switch) was actually the version that tried to delve into a wider social commentary context. Though its allegorical aspect or "mission" was so blatantly overstated and preachy that it was a fail (among other reasons). The original play slash film may have been little more than light fluff typical of early '60s comedies, oblivious to the incubating side-issues of the era. Just focusing on the womanizer getting his comeuppance. I remember very little of it, anymore, so can't really say (not a buried, vintage title that I've put into a streaming service's search box lately).

~
Secular Sanity Offline
What are you talking about? You have an excellent memory, C C. I’ve never seen that one. I’ll check it out. Believe it or not, I just recently watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

The Netflix film was little cheesy but contained a few eye-openers.

I would’ve added an older neighbor, a lifelong bachelorette. A bachelorette for obvious reasons. She’d always carry a little dog. She’d smell of stinginess and body order. She’d wear one of those caps with a neck flap cover. She’d drop in unannounced, and boast about her ability to be a good provider, but without any foreseeable offerings. She’d ask him if he’d like to travel. Maybe take a trip with her. He’d say, "As friends, of course? You do believe that men and women can be friends, don’t you?" She’d say, "Well, my dog keeps me company but I can’t have sex with my dog." Big Grin
Syne Offline
Only a French man would behave like that...and end up liking women who act like men.
C C Offline
(Apr 14, 2018 07:30 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: What are you talking about?

I was going by the "But what happens when the roles are reversed?" in the trailer and his "waking up in a crazy world, I don't belong here" where that was apparently the case. May have had a cinematic forebear in *Switch*, which in turn was Blake Edwards' revamping of 1964's *Goodbye Charlie*.

Quote:. . . I’ve never seen that one. I’ll check it out. Believe it or not, I just recently watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

The Netflix film was little cheesy but contained a few eye-openers.

[quote]I would’ve added an older neighbor, a lifelong bachelorette. A bachelorette for obvious reasons. She’d always carry a little dog. She’d smell of stinginess and body order. She’d wear one of those caps with a neck flap cover. She’d drop in unannounced, and boast about her ability to be a good provider, but without any foreseeable offerings. She’d ask him if he’d like to travel. Maybe take a trip with her. He’d say, "As friends, of course? You do believe that men and women can be friends, don’t you?" She’d say, "Well, my dog keeps me company but I can’t have sex with my dog." Big Grin

LOL. Yah, I remember you mentioning who that's abstracted from. Smile

Due perhaps to hormonal decline and dysfunction, one occasionally or often encounters an old (hetero) man who at least superficially behaves as if he's reached the point where he's seeking discourse instead of intercourse (a surrogate daughter, sister, etc to chat with). Or maybe "regressed" psychologically back to the asexual indifference of a boy-child, now that the testosterone fairies have finally stopped fluttering around his head, whispering in his ear.

After Joyce Maynard and others spilled the beans in later years, we can definitely forget about that departed recluse J. D. Salinger falling into such a category. That his verbal interactions and sessions with various women (especially much younger ones) was purely a platonic affair of acquiring real-life information for building the female characters of his stories. Of course, the former by itself could still count as an ulterior motive for friendships, mentoring, etc -- IF there were no mitigating factors revolving around actual interest in the person(s).

Speaking of "Breakfast at Tiffany's", the original novella of Capote's might even coincidentally be an example of its anonymous narrator and Holly being "just friends" (albeit fictional). His supposedly being infatuated with her expressive style, mode of living and background stories -- but minus any sexual interest. Undermined, however, by strong suggestions that he's gay.[*] That situation being what tripped-up George Costanza about "Breaksfast at Tiffany's" with his book-club girlfriend in that classic Seinfeld episode, "The Couch". Only the movie featured a romantic relationship between the two characters.

- - - footnote - - -

[*] Like Capote himself. Who even had childhood and later friend in Harper Lee, as well her eventually becoming a one-shot literary rival he carried a whispered grudge against. But she most definitely wasn't the inspiration for Holly Golightly.

~
confused2 Offline
CC Wrote:Due perhaps to hormonal decline and dysfunction, one occasionally or often encounters an old (hetero) man who at least superficially behaves as if he's reached the point where he's seeking discourse instead of intercourse (a surrogate daughter, sister, etc to chat with). Or maybe "regressed" psychologically back to the asexual indifference of a boy-child, now that the testosterone fairies have finally stopped fluttering around his head, whispering in his ear.

Him>I treat females with absolute impartiality and integrity.
Her>He's gay.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Apr 15, 2018 12:53 PM)confused2 Wrote:
CC Wrote:Due perhaps to hormonal decline and dysfunction, one occasionally or often encounters an old (hetero) man who at least superficially behaves as if he's reached the point where he's seeking discourse instead of intercourse (a surrogate daughter, sister, etc to chat with). Or maybe "regressed" psychologically back to the asexual indifference of a boy-child, now that the testosterone fairies have finally stopped fluttering around his head, whispering in his ear.

Him>I treat females with absolute impartiality and integrity.
Her>He's gay.

We were talking about opposite sex friendship, C2. Even you know that it’s impossible. If it weren’t, it wouldn’t be something that you’d have to surrender once you’re married.

I’m sure Mrs. C2 prefers grease spots over lipstick on your collar. But I do know this old crotchety man, his wife just winks at me, and says don’t worry, sweetie, I feed him butter—lots and lots of butter. Wink
confused2 Offline
SS Wrote:We were talking about opposite sex friendship...
So was I.
me Wrote:Him>I treat females with absolute impartiality and integrity.
Her>He's gay.
Possible responses from the female panelists cluster around:-
"Don't be ridiculous." and "You hit the nail on the head." and "<evasion>".

Responding to SS "<evasion>"...
SS Wrote:We were talking about opposite sex friendship, C2. Even you know that it’s impossible. If it weren’t, it wouldn’t be something that you’d have to surrender once you’re married.
You are, of course, correct.
Secular Sanity Offline
Q&A but without <it>, of course; are you up for it?

Topic: Social Power and Gender Differences
confused2 Offline
(Apr 18, 2018 04:50 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: Q&A but without <it>, of course; are you up for it?

Topic: Social Power and Gender Differences
Me?
I don't have any social power or even a social life (see previous post for reason). I don't think I would have anything to contribute.