Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rob Reiner: *Roseanne* is for the 'lunatic fringe' / Trump POV

C C Offline
Rob Reiner: ‘Roseanne’ A Personification Of President Donald Trump’s POV (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXxvJr98...e=youtu.be

- - -

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29000/rob...-paul-bois

EXCERPT: Actor/director Rob "Meathead" Reiner thinks the hit "pro-Trump" show "Roseanne" poses a threat to the culture. Speaking with MSNBC's Joy Reid, Reiner said that "Roseanne" — which is arguably pro-Trump but hardly a conservative "megaphone" — has "tremendous power" and could become a megaphone for the "lunatic fringe."

"You have your Fox News and Sinclair and Breitbart and Infowars — which used to be considered and thought of as the lunatic fringe — have now become the mainstream media," Reiner said. Reiner then lamented that "truthful journalists, people who are pursuing the truth, are diminished," adding that "Democracy is really in trouble." Reiner then compared the current political battle with the Civil War. No prizes for guessing who Reiner put on the side of the Confederacy....

MORE: https://www.dailywire.com/news/29000/rob...-paul-bois

~
Magical Realist Offline
Roseanne cancelled by ABC after her racist twitter rant. She's going the way of Michael Richards and Mel Gibson---straight to the unemployment line.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop...650973002/

I have to think Roseanne frequented blogs and websites that pushed alt right propaganda. I mean who knows about George Soros other than rightwing conspiracy freaks? And the referring to black people as apes? In her online circles this is acceptable rhetoric. Unfortunately for her it isn't acceptable in the mainstream world. Buh bye Roseanne! We hardly knew ye!
Yazata Offline
Who cares what Rob Reiner thinks?

I haven't really paid much attention to Roseanne, since she's an entertainment celebrity and generally speaking I ignore entertainment celebrities. I still don't know if her politics are sincere. All in the Family (where Rob Reiner got his start) was created by "liberals" who meant it as an unfriendly caricature. I'm not certain that Roseanne's new show wasn't the same thing. (But based on these events, apparently not.) I've never seen her new show, though the news suggests that it was getting very good ratings.

But I do think that it's the height of hypocrisy to attack her for calling Valerie Jarrett a chimpanzee (she's more of a spider in my opinion) when George W. Bush was called a chimp for years. (Democrats laughed and laughed while doing it and thought themselves exceedingly witty.) People (Valerie's as light-skinned as a Caucasian) don't suddenly become immune from criticism, insults or caricature just because they have a few African ancestors back there in the family tree.

I'm also inclined to agree with Herman Cain (who knows a thing or two about being black) who says that he thinks that ABC's management was looking for an excuse to get rid of Roseanne before any of this happened, due to their hatred for Trump.

Hopefully her show gets picked up by Fox or somebody like that. Now that a lot of the ambiguity is swept away, it should do well with more Trumpian viewers like me. I think that I'd like to see it.

If she's sincere, then I support her.
Syne Offline
A show getting cancelled, and all those people losing their jobs, over a single tweet does make it sound like they were just looking for an excuse. It does sound like someone was having flashbacks of All in the Family, where an intended target of mockery became beloved. I never watched the new Roseanne, but it really sounds like the Trumpianism in the show was superficial, quickly subdued, and with plans to go completely unpolitical (read as only left-leaning) in season 2.

We should note that she has apologized, and if she were a leftist, that would be enough.

I'm not even sure if Roseanne is a solid libertarian, much less anything more to the right.
Magical Realist Offline
Even if her show gets picked up by another network her fellow actors on that series will not likely work with her. It's a matter of principle, something I don't expect trumpers and alt right haters to understand in the least.
Syne Offline
(May 29, 2018 09:59 PM)Yazata Wrote: Now that a lot of the ambiguity is swept away, it should do well with more Trumpian viewers like me.

(May 30, 2018 04:11 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: It's a matter of principle, something I don't expect trumpers and alt right haters to understand in the least.

Says the guy who feigned concern over insulting Yaz:
(May 26, 2018 07:14 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: Even Yazata is getting tired of your insults.
(May 26, 2018 08:29 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:Come on, you can tell us. Is Yaz your forumdaddy?

Insulting Yazata as well as me now. Same old shit again..

Rolleyes
Magical Realist Offline
(May 30, 2018 04:33 AM)Syne Wrote:
(May 29, 2018 09:59 PM)Yazata Wrote: Now that a lot of the ambiguity is swept away, it should do well with more Trumpian viewers like me.

(May 30, 2018 04:11 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: It's a matter of principle, something I don't expect trumpers and alt right haters to understand in the least.

Says the guy who feigned concern over insulting Yaz:
(May 26, 2018 07:14 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: Even Yazata is getting tired of your insults.
(May 26, 2018 08:29 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:Come on, you can tell us. Is Yaz your forumdaddy?

Insulting Yazata as well as me now. Same old shit again..

Rolleyes

You know what they call dragging in shit from other threads don't you? Think about it.
Syne Offline
(May 30, 2018 04:40 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: You know what they call dragging in shit from other threads don't you? Think about it.

Do tell. O_o
Yazata Offline
I'm apparently supposed to always be busy hating people, but I don't know who I'm supposed to hate or why. (Nobody's ever given me the alt.right manual.)

The only hate that I can see in this thread is hate for President Trump and for anyone who supports him. It isn't just here, it's everywhere -- nonstop, ever-present and increasingly bizarre. You can't turn on the TV, pick up a newspaper or magazine or even log onto a discussion board like this one without incessant expressions of viscious political hatred, seemingly always coming from the self-styled "tolerant" ones, those who pose as everyone else's morally superiors, the opponents of bias and division.

They used to wave Bibles at you as they screamed SINNER! Now they've thrown away the Bibles and they scream RACIST! Maybe that's an improvement, maybe not, but the moral condemnation is just the same.

We live in an increasingly Neo-Puritan age.
Syne Offline
We know that "alt-right" has just become a way to conflate white supremacists and all Republicans/Trump supporters (where even Republicans and Trump supporters aren't the same thing). Leftists are happy to use the term, even though it was coined by Richard Spencer to legitimize white supremacy, and has done just that in the leftist media. Its a desperate ploy in the death throes of a failed ideology. The differences between left and right aren't nearly as large as those between authoritarians and libertarians.