Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

diatebes or artificial sweetener?

Carol Offline
What do you science folks have to say about the possible danger of using artificial sweeteners?  My blood sugar level has been high for years verging on diabetes 2 diagnosis.  I have been checking my blood sugar levels and one day forgot to do so before having my morning coffee with an artificial sweetener.  My sugar count that morning was through the roof, and I wondered if the artificial sweetener could result in my high blood sugar.  According to this respected site, it can

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20140917...od-sugar#3
C C Offline
(Apr 4, 2018 05:31 PM)Carol Wrote: My blood sugar level has been high for years verging on diabetes 2 diagnosis.  I have been checking my blood sugar levels and one day forgot to do so before having my morning coffee with an artificial sweetener.  My sugar count that morning was through the roof, and I wondered if the artificial sweetener could result in my high blood sugar. 

Wouldn't be the first time that the propaganda of medical / nutritional experts and commercial marketeers led the population down a path of errant assumptions.

"It is now known that trans fats increase blood levels of LDL/Bad Cholesterol and decrease the levels of HDL/Good Cholesterol. An article in the New England Journal of Medicine stated that trans fats increase the risk of atherosclerotic heart disease more so than any other macronutrient. [...] Margarine which has zero nutritional value is only one molecule away from being plastic and eggs and butter are now a much safer choice. I do not think that science has let us down but we have certainly come full circle with regards to just what a healthy diet should be." --David Keisler ... gastroenterologist & internist

Quote:According to this respected site, it can

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20140917...od-sugar#3

Consuming low-calorie sweeteners may predispose overweight individuals to diabetes (2018)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...144829.htm

Consumption of low-calorie sweeteners could promote metabolic syndrome and predispose people to prediabetes and diabetes, particularly in individuals with obesity, a new study on human fat-derived stem cells and fat samples suggests.

- - -

Artificial sweeteners linked to risk of weight gain, heart disease and other health issues (2017)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...091043.htm

Artificial sweeteners may be associated with long-term weight gain and increased risk of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease, according to a new study. [/b]

- - -

Small study suggests consuming large amounts of artificial sweeteners may increase risk of developing type 2 diabetes (2017)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...193141.htm

[i]Artificial sweeteners can change the body's response to glucose when consumed in large amounts, and could add to the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, says new research.

- - -

Artificial sweetener could intensify symptoms in those with Crohn's disease (2018)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...155411.htm

In a study that has implications for humans with inflammatory diseases, researchers have found that, given over a six-week period, the artificial sweetener sucralose, known by the brand name Splenda, worsens gut inflammation in mice with Crohn's disease, but had no substantive effect on those without the condition.

- - -

Artificial sweeteners in groundwater indicate contamination from septic systems (2017)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...092825.htm

The presence of artificial sweeteners in rural groundwater shows evidence for contamination by local septic system wastewater, researchers have found.

- - -

Bottom line is that there's still no consensus about artificial sweeteners (it's a rather complicated matter of contingent variables and more research yet needed).

But even when the food industry supposedly makes a "healthy turn" (either today or decades ago), you can usually rely on it to clobber things up for the bad simply because it's still outputting refined products which place priority on finding newer combinations of ingredients that are mildly addictive or place emphasis on taste (or reviving older formulas if they're now faded and forgotten).

The traditional vacillation or long-term unreliability of some published biomedical findings also arguably undermines confidence in conclusions of such papers. So that even with this continuing "undecided stance" about artificial sweeteners one might as well anticipate those replacement agents for sugar not actually being a dependable route for whatever the propaganda over the years might have lead people to believe (avoiding diabetes, mitigating it, etc).

The Diabetes Council site appears to merely be operated by a group of nurses keeping abreast of information: https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/the-r...weeteners/

- - -
Syne Offline
Sweet tastes gear up the body to process sugars, even without the calorie impact.
Carol Offline
(Apr 4, 2018 09:30 PM)C C Wrote:
(Apr 4, 2018 05:31 PM)Carol Wrote: My blood sugar level has been high for years verging on diabetes 2 diagnosis.  I have been checking my blood sugar levels and one day forgot to do so before having my morning coffee with an artificial sweetener.  My sugar count that morning was through the roof, and I wondered if the artificial sweetener could result in my high blood sugar. 

Wouldn't be the first time that the propaganda of medical / nutritional experts and commercial marketeers led the population down a path of errant assumptions.  

"It is now known that trans fats increase blood levels of LDL/Bad Cholesterol and decrease the levels of HDL/Good Cholesterol. An article in the New England Journal of Medicine stated that trans fats increase the risk of atherosclerotic heart disease more so than any other macronutrient. [...] Margarine which has zero nutritional value is only one molecule away from being plastic and eggs and butter are now a much safer choice. I do not think that science has let us down but we have certainly come full circle with regards to just what a healthy diet should be." --David Keisler ... gastroenterologist & internist
[/quote]

Thank you CC not only was that good information but it led to another piece of information that explains why my A1C has dropped so much.  Despite my worry about high blood sugar, my A1C has dropped significantly and I am now out of the diabetes 2 danger zone.   One of the links lead to an explanation of what exercise does to the blood sugar, and that explains why my A1C finally dropped after years of being high.  

Obviously, slow walking does not help because I did that for years without lowering my A1C.  However, I began swimming and doing strengthing exercises and that has lowered my A1C.   This link explains why
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/ho...ndmdcustom

I facilitate workshops for people with diabetes so this information is even more important to me.  I teach what the link says in the workshop, but didn't have a good understanding of the words.  The link is a better explanation and now I am experiencing the real meaning of those words.  What exercise can do for us is real.  I will print out the information and hand it out at the next workshop when I tell everyone my A1C level has me back in the safety zone.  Heaven knows most the people in the workshop have avoided being physically active and they might get good results, as I have, if they take exercising seriously.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Apr 8, 2018 05:03 PM)Carol Wrote:
(Apr 4, 2018 09:30 PM)C C Wrote:

Thank you CC not only was that good information but it led to another piece of information that explains why my A1C has dropped so much.  Despite my worry about high blood sugar, my A1C has dropped significantly and I am now out of the diabetes 2 danger zone.   One of the links lead to an explanation of what exercise does to the blood sugar, and that explains why my A1C finally dropped after years of being high.  

Obviously, slow walking does not help because I did that for years without lowering my A1C.  However, I began swimming and doing strengthing exercises and that has lowered my A1C.   This link explains why

I facilitate workshops for people with diabetes so this information is even more important to me.  I teach what the link says in the workshop, but didn't have a good understanding of the words.  The link is a better explanation and now I am experiencing the real meaning of those words.  What exercise can do for us is real.  I will print out the information and hand it out at the next workshop when I tell everyone my A1C level has me back in the safety zone.  Heaven knows most the people in the workshop have avoided being physically active and they might get good results, as I have, if they take exercising seriously.
[/quote]
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/ho...ndmdcustom
Quote:The benefits of strength training for those with type 2 diabetes have been well documented. For example, a 16-week program of twice-weekly strength training in older men who had just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes was associated with a 46 percent increase in insulin action, a 7 percent reduction in fasting blood glucose levels, and a significant loss of visceral fat.

Strength training may also improve blood glucose levels by increasing muscle mass. Muscles feed on glucose, and the more muscle mass you have, the more glucose it will take from your bloodstream.

thats good news.
some Doctors may feel inbetween a rock & a hardplace suggesting weight use for those with high blood presure.
the artificial sweatener thing is interesting.
i shall start some reading on it.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Apr 8, 2018 11:00 PM)elte Wrote: Further reading

https://caloriebee.com/nutrition/xylitol...ubstitutes

Quote:Cons of Aspartame
  • Specific taste, not great
  • Linked to brain cancer

Quote:Cons of Saccharin
  • The taste is not great, as most of artificial sweeteners
  • It is carcinogenic for rats and mice, and possibly for humans Saccharin and Cancer in Rats.

Quote:Cons of Sucralose (Splenda)
  • Contains bulking agents, dextrose, and maltodextrin, to give it volume
  • It is not an absolute replacement for sugar, especially when baking with it
  • Although it looks like the safest artificial sweetener on the market, Splenda is not completely harmless. It depends on the quantity ingested, but in some cases, sucralose will not get eliminated from your body for days.

Quote:Cons of Xylitol
  • Xylitol is not approved as a sweetener by FDA, (it is approved as a food additive, and not as a sweetener)
  • Consumed in high quantities can cause you bloating, stomach pain, and diarrhea
  • Very toxic for dogs, (and ferrets), it kills dogs by drastically lowering their blood sugar levels.

Quote:Cons of Stevia
  • Stevia and rebaudioside-A, are not approved as food additives by FDA. (however, stevia is approved as a dietary supplement.)
  • Stevia is very sweet but the taste is quite different from sugar
  • Can contain fillers, the most common is maltodextrin