Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yuval Harari's history of tomorrow

C C Offline
http://inference-review.com/article/godz...:00:35:00Z

EXCERPT: Yuval Harari is a young Israeli historian. In his first book, *Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind*, Harari surveyed the history of the human race; in his second, *Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow*, he has written an account of its future. [...] In Sapiens, Harari expressed no very great use for the monotheistic religions of mankind, nor for the agricultural practices that, he supposed, made them possible. He commended stone age cultures with the enthusiasm of a man not required to live in any of them. For all that, Sapiens was very much a work of Whig history, an account of successive revolutions, each prefiguring the next.

In Homo Deus, Harari argues that human beings are shortly to be improved. Greatly so. For a start, better genes, better neural circuits, better biochemistry. Thereafter, a variety of implantable contraptions: chips, stents, or shunts. Finally, a full promotion to the pantheon: computer scientists, at last, inscribing intelligence in inorganic matter; the old-fashioned human body declining into desuetude, replaced by the filaments and files of an alien form of life.

[...] “In recent decades,” Harari writes,

life scientists have demonstrated that emotions are not some mysterious spiritual phenomenon that is useful just for writing poetry and composing symphonies. Rather emotions are biochemical algorithms that are vital for the survival and reproduction of all mammals.

Biologists have demonstrated no such thing. What the life scientists are doing is anyone’s guess. No one has ever supposed that emotions are useful just for writing poetry or composing symphonies. The concept of a biochemical algorithm occupies space without doing work. Some biochemical reactions may be described step by step, but this tells us nothing more than that some biochemical reactions may be described. Very many human emotions have nothing to do with survival or reproduction. [...]

[...] Emotions have nothing like the clear-cut identity that is characteristic of an algorithm. [...] There no algorithmic structure controlling how emotions are felt. How they are felt is a matter of how they are felt. An algorithm may exist without ever being run, but an emotion that is never felt is like an idea that is never thought. [...]

Homo Deus is not a work of philosophy, but its arguments turn often on philosophical or logical issues. Harari is persuaded that, no matter their convictions to the contrary, human beings are not free in their actions. [...] The debate has retained its chief features since antiquity, and no philosopher or scientist has made the slightest contribution to enlarging it. Harari belongs to the ages. [...] If human actions are determined, they are not free, and if random, not interesting. Freedom of the will must be an illusion. Perhaps this is so.

If freedom of the will is an illusion, it is both universal and inexpugnable. Every man is persuaded that something is within his power, and none that everything is beyond it. What explains the illusion? [...] The illusion goes too deep to be an accident. It is not random. On the contrary. Free will enters into every deliberation; it is the foundation on which every legal system is constructed; it controls every human exchange; it is the assumption that makes daily life coherent; and if Google, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft are busy undermining consumer choice, they are busy only because, like the rest of us, they share in the illusion of free will and are concerned to make the most of it. To do without the illusion is to live like animals. [...] An appeal to randomness is pointless. No deterministic account is remotely plausible. We are as little able to explain the illusion of free will as to explain free will itself. If the illusion is not a part of the cake, the cake is not all that there is; and if it is a part of the cake, determinism and randomness do not divide it.

[...] Determinism is a doctrine with philosophical bite only if it has some modal force. If it amounts to no more than the observation that generally one thing follows another, it is of no interest. An object dropped from a great height must fall toward the center of the earth. It has no say in the scheme of things, and it cannot do otherwise. Historical laws that determine which possibilities are realized and which are not have the same force of command. This must happen; that is impossible. If anything goes, then we are left with no deterministic explanations why some things went, and if they went for no reason at all, what, then, is the purpose of this book?

[...] “Scientists,” he writes, “have subjected Homo sapiens to tens of thousands of bizarre experiments, and looked into every nook in our hearts and every cranny in our brains.” [...] There is no soul. [...] If Harari is skeptical about freedom of the will or the human soul, in other respects he argues that the life of man is governed by a different imperative. [...] It is this dizzying sense of steadily expanding possibilities that allows Harari to accept with solemn credulity the promise that death is a soluble technological problem, or that, in time, human and machine intelligence, as Ray Kurzweil has predicted, will merge in the burst of a starlike singularity. [...] So long as a scheme or suggestion is not physically impossible, Harari is content to accept as his own the epistemological maxim governing Silicon Valley—anything goes.

[...] It was just yesterday that any number of nervously shuffling TED talkers [...] would, at various TED talks, assure their audience that Big Data was a Big Deal. Harari is with them, an advocate of Dataism, an apostle [...] Like so much else in Homo Deus, Dataism serves chiefly to express Harari’s great gullibility, his willingness to believe what some scientists say without wondering whether what they say is true. Dataism is not the holy grail; it is not a coherent theory; it is not about to unify anything. But, then, death is not a technological problem, and the singularity is an infantile fantasy. Men are not about to become like gods. Harari has been misinformed....

MORE: http://inference-review.com/article/godz...:00:35:00Z
Yazata Offline
It's synchronicity!

CC made this post yesterday. I was unaware of her post when I acquired a used copy of that exact same book today.

(Feb 20, 2018 08:25 PM)C C Wrote: EXCERPT: Yuval Harari is a young Israeli historian.

A very speculative historian. But many of his speculations are good ones and they are all interesting. I like the way he looks at the big picture.

Quote:In his first book, *Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind*, Harari surveyed the history of the human race; in his second, *Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow*, he has written an account of its future. [...] In Sapiens, Harari expressed no very great use for the monotheistic religions of mankind, nor for the agricultural practices that, he supposed, made them possible.

That's speculative. I agree with him about monotheism, though it's a bit surprising to hear from an Israeli, since the Jews pride themselves on inventing monotheism. (Which is supposed to be be a huge advance in religion or something.)

Quote:He commended stone age cultures with the enthusiasm of a man not required to live in any of them.

I suspect that his motivation was to combat the idea that stone-age people were subhuman ape-men. Judging from various survivals of the lifestyle (almost) up to the present, such as the Australian aborigines, I think that we can safely say that paleolithic people might have been a lot more sophisticated than we give them credit for, with elaborate bodies of myth, lore and custom.

The neolithic discovery of agriculture worked a revolution in human life. Technology exploded. Architecture appeared with farming villages resembling SW American Indian pueblos in the Middle East and thatched roof wooden villages in Europe of a sort that survived almost to the present. (Most of the American Indians in what is now the US were still neolithic and lived like that when the Europeans arrived.) Most of the familiar farm animals of today were domesticated in the neolithic. Textiles were invented (a real revolution). Fired pottery appeared and they even experimented with copper metallurgy. What they lacked was writing.

Quote:For all that, Sapiens was very much a work of Whig history, an account of successive revolutions, each prefiguring the next.

The name of the book kind of gives that away. It's about the growth of understanding.

Quote:In Homo Deus, Harari argues that human beings are shortly to be improved. Greatly so. For a start, better genes

I haven't read the book yet, but agree that genetic engineering has the potential to transform technology and what it means to be human.

As all of the easily and economically exploited deposts of metals and industrial resources on Earth are depleted, we might conceivably move away from a machine-civilization towards a bio-engineered civilization. Imagine engineering self-reproducing, self-steering transport vehicles with warm furry seats that fuel themselves with grass. Or living in bio-engineered tree-houses made largely out of water and atmospheric CO2. Other animal species might be 'uplifted' to greater sentience. Computers might be grown from bio-engineered nervous systems, perhaps much larger and more elaborate than our own.

And inevitably, humans will be remade too, perhaps radiating into a host of new forms based on function and/or aesthetics. People might not understand our contemporary obsession with race in an age when skin color is chosen from a catalog (blue skin and silver metallic hair might look cool). I can imagine forms bioengineered to live on the surface of Mars or to live their lives in weightlessness (quaddies!). A creepy thought is sub-humans designed to be servants/slaves.

Quote:better neural circuits, better biochemistry. Thereafter, a variety of implantable contraptions: chips, stents, or shunts. Finally, a full promotion to the pantheon: computer scientists, at last, inscribing intelligence in inorganic matter; the old-fashioned human body declining into desuetude, replaced by the filaments and files of an alien form of life.

I'm more skeptical about machine based AI.

Quote:Homo Deus is not a work of philosophy, but its arguments turn often on philosophical or logical issues. Harari is persuaded that, no matter their convictions to the contrary, human beings are not free in their actions.

I'd disagree with him there.

I'll skip the rest of the review, which turns into a bit of a rant at this point.

I will say that my speculations about where genetic engineering may ultimately go are simply that, speculations. I wouldn't presume to write a history of the future. The unfolding of history is far too contingent on fortuitous events for that to ever be possible (whatever we believe about free-will or determinism).
confused2 Offline
He (Yuval Noah Harari) notes...
"Your biochemical algorithms — which evolved tens of thousands of years ago in the African savannah..."
... has relevance beyond this thread ... possibly a relevance to most threads... maybe even relevance to all threads. Nobody lived in really inhospitable places because nobody could live in really inhospitable places. Let's not talk about Inuits.
Secular Sanity Offline
I made a mistake when ordering this book.  I was just looking mainly at the prices.  The book was $19.85 for the hardcover.  I went for what I thought was a cheaper paperback. It was just a summary for $9.99.  It was an entirely separate and different entity from the original book.  It's only 50 pages and with all the legal disclaimers, of course.  What a waste.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The oddly interesting history of boredom + History of food C C 4 184 Sep 9, 2021 12:14 AM
Last Post: Syne
  History of Unidentified Submerged Objects + Missing chapter of Doctor Who's history C C 1 397 Oct 10, 2019 04:00 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  A history of the future: How writers envisioned tomorrow's world C C 1 417 Nov 20, 2017 02:19 AM
Last Post: Yazata