Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The unicorn whale

C C Offline
A banshee is a female spirit [...] heralding the death of a family member, usually by wailing, shrieking, or keening.

The arctic banshee ululating ominously...

". . . Narwhals can live up to 50 years. They are often killed by suffocation when the sea ice freezes over [...] Narwhals have a relatively restricted and specialized diet. [...] Almost all modern predation of narwhals is by humans. Other predators are polar bears, which attack at breathing holes mainly for young narwhals, Greenland sharks and walruses. Killer whales (orcas) group together to overwhelm narwhal pods in the shallow water of enclosed bays, in one case killing dozens of narwhals in a single attack. To escape predators such as orcas, narwhals may use prolonged submergence to hide under ice floes rather than relying on speed. [...] Many other countries have quotas on catches, which will be important also in newly opening areas caused by decreasing sea ice cover. Narwhals are difficult to keep in captivity. Inuit people, who call a tusked narwhal qilalugaq tugaalik, are allowed to hunt this whale species legally for subsistence. [...] An indirect danger for narwhals associated with changes in sea ice is the increased exposure in open water. In 2002 there was an increase in narwhal catches by hunters in Siorapaluk that did not appear to be associated with increased effort, implying that climate change may be making the narwhal more vulnerable to harvesting...."

- - -
elte Offline
I would call on a banshee to do that in that case.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:They are often killed by suffocation when the sea ice freezes over

Why can't scientists just say they drown when the sea ice freezes over? Also why didn't they add the part where the whale gets trapped under the ice unable to find an opening so it can breathe. Killed by suffocation? I guess we just assume something else isn't putting the choke hold on them.
elte Offline
Was thinking something similar.   It seems an extra scary demise for sure.
Syne Offline
So climate change might eventually save narwhals? Less ice means more breathing holes.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Feb 19, 2018 08:21 PM)Syne Wrote: So climate change might eventually save narwhals? Less ice means more breathing holes.

Interesting point. Less ice more whale hunting?
elte Offline
The food supply might be a factor too.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Unfortunately life on Earth has evolved to the point where we dominate the planet and if a species can't adapt to us then it's curtains unless circumstances act in their favour. Seems cruel and unnecessary but that had to have happened when dinos took over also, probably over time and not immediate. I recall reading something about couple species scientists say have noticeably adapted to humanity but can't remember exactly where I found it.

I hope the Narwhal survives, it's so odd looking that we might like to keep it alive, if only to preserve the Unicorn legend. That's what I mean, it may have lucked into our favour because of its relationship to human folklore and won't need to adapt much at all
elte Offline
I think the public awareness should help, and people tend to like whales.