Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mr Robot: So what do you feel Whiterose's "project" is about?

C C Offline
WARNING: Spoilers of one degree or another for those who have not watched the USA Network series yet (Mr Robot) or have not followed it up to the final episode of the 3rd season. Get out of this thread right now if that is the case.

- - -

Is "Mr Robot" going to turn out to be a science fiction show in the end, or is Whiterose simply insanely delusional as Philip Price tells Angela?

What would "undo all the damage and rebirth a new world"? As well as undo the deaths of Elliot's father and Angela's mother, and these members of the Dark Army who are popping their brains out according to either protocol or Whiterose's contingent wishes?

Is there a way for the project to qualify for all that but not turn out to be anything ultra-strange after all, or have Whiterose be bonkers?

(Note: Some might actually contend that *Mr Robot* already was a sci-fi show from the start in slight or minor ways occasionally slotted under that genre. But it definitely hasn't been such in a substantial sense. Plus, just as in the case of the twists and turns of the series "Lost" 13 to 14 years ago, it's taken as a given these days that the developers of many shows don't want their product labeled sci-fi or fantasy even when such is the case. Harlan Ellison arguably initiated that trend in literature, with his writing, ages ago. "No, don't say it -- don't use that word." --faded, blurry video TV interview from the late '70s or early '80s.)

- - -

Syne Offline
Like Halt and Catch Fire, I gave up on Mr. Robot quickly, once the agenda became apparent. I initially liked both. Don't care what's spoiled now.
C C Offline
Initially we watched the first four episodes and then dropped out because the show was so tedious. Like observing some headless body meandering around aimlessly from one gratuitous scene to another, waiting for something to accidentally develop. I mean, the hackers "taking down the big conglomerate" thing was there, but already a common plotline, just not interesting in itself.

Then we tried it again months later, where we left off. And finally there were hooks jelling that pulled us to the next installment. In addition to his anxieties, when it finally became clear that Elliot had some form of DID with PKD reality issues, it was like adding Stevenson and Life On Mars possibilities to an already chimeric background mix.

Hubby and I developing immunity to a recreational source's mythos is kind of a prerequisite for being able to watch any entertainment at all these days, whether Hammer & Sickle's Best or Buckley Jr.'s Finest. Plus, Mr Robot's "The Careful Massacre of the Bourgeoisie" orientation eventually gets drowned under whatever exotic agenda the Dark Army has been engineering for decades. Which is to say, the former is amounting to a facade or some initial political red-herring at this point.

- - -
Magical Realist Offline
I found the first season riveting in it's twists and turns concerning Elliot's father. Abit reminicent of Fight Club, complete with the anti-cultural screeds. The whole plot of hackers taking down the debt system was fascinating as well. The following seasons seem less inspired and seek only to add more intrigue about the Dark Army and its plots. Nevertheless I watched it and found it sufficiently entertaining to stick with. Eliott's relationship with his alter has reached a kind of mutually respectable coexistence.
stryder Offline
Side tracking: White Rose (wikipedia.org)

Quote:The White Rose (German: die Weiße Rose) was a non-violent, intellectual resistance group in Nazi Germany led by a group of students and a professor at the University of Munich. The group conducted an anonymous leaflet and graffiti campaign which called for active opposition to the Nazi regime. Their activities started in Munich on June 27th, 1942, and ended with the arrest of the core group by the Gestapo on February 18th, 1943.[1] They, as well as other members and supporters of the group who carried on distributing the pamphlets, faced show trials by the Nazi People's Court (Volksgerichtshof), and many of them were sentenced to death or imprisonment.

From reading the page further:

Quote:"The government – or rather, the party – controlled everything: the news media, arms, police, the armed forces, the judiciary system, communications, travel, all levels of education from kindergarten to universities, all cultural and religious institutions. Political indoctrination started at a very early age, and continued by means of the Hitler Youth with the ultimate goal of complete mind control. Children were exhorted in school to denounce even their own parents for derogatory remarks about Hitler or Nazi ideology."
— George J. Wittenstein, M. D.,"Memories of the White Rose", 1979

Back to the topic: Mr Robot has already touched upon the Controlled state and the level of response to it by Dark Army certainly busted it open, however as with any failing despot, the anarchy that's left in the wake is often a grounds for others to take their place.  (i.e. "The King is dead, Long live the King")

I'd consider it building up to mind control (It would explain what was seen or suggested). The question is will a protagonist break free? will they save themselves and or others in the process? or succumb further to the rabbit hole?
C C Offline
(Feb 16, 2018 07:34 PM)stryder Wrote: Back to the topic: Mr Robot has already touched upon the Controlled state and the level of response to it by Dark Army certainly busted it open, however as with any failing despot, the anarchy that's left in the wake is often a grounds for others to take their place.  (i.e. "The King is dead, Long live the King")

I'd consider it building up to mind control (It would explain what was seen or suggested).  The question is will a protagonist break free? will they save themselves and or others in the process?  or succumb further to the rabbit hole?

Now that's an interesting angle. Certainly quite different from the time-travel hypothesis that's bandied about, which looks too blatantly leading and too common a plot-factor in shows since the days of "Lost" to be what the project could turn out to be.

It could even take care of Angela's focus on the project bringing her dead mother back. Like Elliot already seeing his long-deceased father (AKA Mr Robot). We already know he was a guinea pig for something in the past. The Dark Army could have made his brain receptive to remote influence when he had that fall out of the window during childhood. A memory that's revealed to be partially fake or implanted after his sister Darlene asserted that their dad never pushed him out of the window at all. The fall providing an excuse to take young Elliot to a hospital and have special surgery performed on him, or do a check-up or perform a tweak on what had already been done. Who knows how many of his memories are bogus insertions or "malware" corruptions via remote brainwashing, electronic harassment, etc.

Eventually mind-control carried out and completed on a grand scale, where the population can be "utopian-manipulated" with all kinds of wonders in their heads, as well as outright commands.

- - -