Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why America Keeps Criminalizing Autistic Children

C C Offline
https://psmag.com/education/america-keep...c-children

EXCERPT: . . . The violence that disabled children experience in American public schools should be a national scandal. It's certainly gotten enough coverage. In 2014, ProPublica published "Violent and Legal," finding over 267,000 incidents of violent restraint in 2012. In 2015, the Center for Investigative Reporting offered a state-by-state analysis of the school-to-prison pipeline, showing that black, Latinx, and disabled children—especially those who were non-white and disabled—were far more likely to be arrested and charged than other children. And, just last May, Education Week published a study finding that at least 70,000 students covered by the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) had been restrained or secluded in public schools in 2013–14. [...]

And yet, despite the media coverage, we have yet to see any coherent national response. Based on our best available information, the rates of violence at the hands of school officials and criminalization of disabled children, especially those who are multiply marginalized by factors such as race or poverty, continue unchecked. [...]

There's a saying in the autistic community: If you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person. The goal is to avoid assuming that knowledge of one person and their needs grants the ability to generalize. Still, there are best practices that both respect individuality and create better environments where neurodiverse children can learn and thrive. [...]

To better understand meltdowns, specifically those related to autism, I called up Lydia Brown and, separately, Finn Gardiner. [...] "When I was in fifth and sixth grade, something would happen in class that would cause a meltdown," Gardiner says. "I was never violent; I was usually verbal." He tells me that, sometimes, he was bullied or deliberately provoked, but often a teacher or some kind of classmate behavior would unpredictably just set him off, and he'd lack the words to explain it. Then he'd be punished. [...]

Brown explains that meltdowns can be very scary, and that force or threats will never help. "When somebody is in a meltdown," Brown says, "that person is unable to process anything else. Every tiny stimulus can be painful and overwhelming. Even if [you] wanted to listen to what somebody said, to follow directions, you probably can't. Everything is happening too fast, too much, all at once. The important thing is not to punish somebody for something that is literally out of their control."

Obviously, the most important step is to identify triggers and remove them as much as possible, or to create the conditions for children to quickly move to a safer context. "If one of the precursors to a meltdown is transition," Brown says by way of example, "then it's your responsibility for the adult to prepare the kid better. To help the kids to work step by step, to practice." Brown acknowledges that it might take years.

[...] schools do punish people when they are panicking, and Sam Crane, an attorney and the director of public policy at the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, is afraid she knows why. Behavior intervention plans, she explains, are part of disability-rights education legislation. Once you have a plan, you have all kinds of added rights as a member of a protected class of American citizen. If you charge someone with a crime, though, schools can skip right past disability law. "Under the IDEA," Crane writes me, "[a] student would be entitled to a manifestation determination, to decide whether his behavior was a manifestation of a disability. There's no such requirement when referring a kid to law enforcement." Crane believes that, around the country, schools are pushing teachers and other staff to press charges.

Crane warns me, though, that behavior intervention plans can be problematic too. They are too often "terrible and coercive," she tells me via email, placing the blame for difficult incidents squarely on the shoulders of the kids, rather than assessing the environment. [...]

MORE: https://psmag.com/education/america-keep...c-children
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Feb 13, 2018 02:04 AM)C C Wrote: https://psmag.com/education/america-keep...c-children

EXCERPT: . . . The violence that disabled children experience in American public schools should be a national scandal. It's certainly gotten enough coverage. In 2014, ProPublica published "Violent and Legal," finding over 267,000 incidents of violent restraint in 2012. In 2015, the Center for Investigative Reporting offered a state-by-state analysis of the school-to-prison pipeline, showing that black, Latinx, and disabled children—especially those who were non-white and disabled—were far more likely to be arrested and charged than other children. And, just last May, Education Week published a study finding that at least 70,000 students covered by the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) had been restrained or secluded in public schools in 2013–14. [...]

And yet, despite the media coverage, we have yet to see any coherent national response. Based on our best available information, the rates of violence at the hands of school officials and criminalization of disabled children, especially those who are multiply marginalized by factors such as race or poverty, continue unchecked. [...]

There's a saying in the autistic community: If you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person. The goal is to avoid assuming that knowledge of one person and their needs grants the ability to generalize. Still, there are best practices that both respect individuality and create better environments where neurodiverse children can learn and thrive. [...]

To better understand meltdowns, specifically those related to autism, I called up Lydia Brown and, separately, Finn Gardiner. [...] "When I was in fifth and sixth grade, something would happen in class that would cause a meltdown," Gardiner says. "I was never violent; I was usually verbal." He tells me that, sometimes, he was bullied or deliberately provoked, but often a teacher or some kind of classmate behavior would unpredictably just set him off, and he'd lack the words to explain it. Then he'd be punished. [...]

Brown explains that meltdowns can be very scary, and that force or threats will never help. "When somebody is in a meltdown," Brown says, "that person is unable to process anything else. Every tiny stimulus can be painful and overwhelming. Even if [you] wanted to listen to what somebody said, to follow directions, you probably can't. Everything is happening too fast, too much, all at once. The important thing is not to punish somebody for something that is literally out of their control."

Obviously, the most important step is to identify triggers and remove them as much as possible, or to create the conditions for children to quickly move to a safer context. "If one of the precursors to a meltdown is transition," Brown says by way of example, "then it's your responsibility for the adult to prepare the kid better. To help the kids to work step by step, to practice." Brown acknowledges that it might take years.

[...] schools do punish people when they are panicking, and Sam Crane, an attorney and the director of public policy at the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, is afraid she knows why. Behavior intervention plans, she explains, are part of disability-rights education legislation. Once you have a plan, you have all kinds of added rights as a member of a protected class of American citizen. If you charge someone with a crime, though, schools can skip right past disability law. "Under the IDEA," Crane writes me, "[a] student would be entitled to a manifestation determination, to decide whether his behavior was a manifestation of a disability. There's no such requirement when referring a kid to law enforcement." Crane believes that, around the country, schools are pushing teachers and other staff to press charges.

Crane warns me, though, that behavior intervention plans can be problematic too. They are too often "terrible and coercive," she tells me via email, placing the blame for difficult incidents squarely on the shoulders of the kids, rather than assessing the environment. [...]

MORE: https://psmag.com/education/america-keep...c-children

Capitalism is survival of the fittest.
why would the social morality be any different.

it is not.

expecting ever increasing better outcomes while never changing anything except reducing funding & over crowding classes and understaffing with teachers...

which % are they referring to ?  the top 5% of US private schools and how they intergrate Extremely Rich Autistic children ?

now it costs around $35,000.00(US$ post secondary school) to become a Teacher
Primary & Secondary Teachers probably do among the most amount of unpaid work than any other profesion.
massively underpaid, massively underfunded industry.
all controlled by rich elite celebrity-polaticians.

the only answer is more money. it is a Capitalist entity.

is the truth behind this article a pay per view warning to close out loop-holes to avoid litigation ?
Syne Offline
(Feb 13, 2018 02:04 AM)C C Wrote: https://psmag.com/education/america-keep...c-children

I don't know if "restrained or secluded" qualifies as "violence". But I'm sure general educators are not trained to deal with special needs children. In those cases, restraint may be necessary, where they do not have enough manpower to otherwise keep other children safe from outbursts or keep the autistic from wandering off.

Minority children often come from single-parent homes, with significantly worse behavior. The only school-to-prison pipeline starts from the home, and is hardly effected by school.
Leigha Offline
While I have empathy for anyone who has autism, where does one draw the line between an outburst in the classroom that can be excused because the child is autistic, and perhaps another kid who is just having a bad day? In older kids, like in high school, they might understand to be more sympathetic, but to kids at younger ages...they will view it as a kid in class is permitted to get away with bad behavior and they're not.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Feb 13, 2018 02:57 PM)Leigha Wrote: While I have empathy for anyone who has autism, where does one draw the line between an outburst in the classroom that can be excused because the child is autistic, and perhaps another kid who is just having a bad day? In older kids, like in high school, they might understand to be more sympathetic, but to kids at younger ages...they will view it as a kid in class is permitted to get away with bad behavior and they're not.

Autistic children would be personally managed at those ages.
just like day care.
intergration into working classrooms where the teacher is properly trained and the childdrens parents are not feral, the children understand.
i have watched interaction and the special treatement children give to such like children in their class.
even having nominated support kids who will assist if the child starts having an episode.
if it is too serious the teacher removes the child from the class to the sick bay and then continues teaching the class.
drama free.
sometimes kids need tobe walked outside and sat down to calm down.

all very normal.
but.. in the usa system where everyone wants to fund their retirement and health care plan by sueing anyone they possibly can...
meanwhile they are leveraging social services money to meet the private capitalist pricing structure..
that social economic system creates quite a feral survival of the fittest social culture.

and that is not making any referance to the massive amount of freely paraded and often televised clubs and organisations preaching Racism.
allowing people to dress up as nazis and parade up and down your streets where your grandparents died of injuries and battle fatigue instead of retiring peacefully and whom gave their lifes fighting against,
and your neighbours familys whom were butchered and had their babys and children experimented on like rats, children used as sex slaves...
really blows my mind.
strange culture.

i gues if everyone is forced by the dictator to stand up to the national anthem it wil fix all that over night.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (BBC) Why North America's killer heat scares me C C 6 226 Jul 12, 2021 02:16 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Why the First Amendment is America in a nutshell (video) C C 0 373 Apr 3, 2018 10:33 PM
Last Post: C C