Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zen and everyday existence

Magical Realist Offline
Now and again I come across some Zen sayings that point to the essence of Zen lying in becoming one with our everyday activities. This is a spirituality unlike theism or supernaturalism. It promotes a reduction of the conceptualizing mind to the pure and empty awareness of action. Simple humble immediacy of the mundane flow of life living itself. A state of awakenness to the passage of being itself. How do we cultivate this state? Here's some sayings to ponder:

‘Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.’
– Alan Watts

"When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage; when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man."
- Anonymous

If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are..."
- Anonymous

"Zen is not some kind of excitement, but concentration on our usual everyday routine."
- Shunryu Suzuki

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.” Zen proverb.

"When hungry, eat your rice; when tired close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean."
Leigha Offline
I like Zen ideas and principles. I especially like the philosophy of not clinging to anyone or anything in this life. For doing so brings suffering. It doesn't mean we aren't to love and be vulnerable, it just means to not make one person, or one job...etc our ''everything.''

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The powerful role of magical beliefs in our everyday thinking C C 1 95 Jul 22, 2022 09:06 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Process theism + The divine hiddenness argument against God's Existence C C 2 104 Jul 2, 2022 12:45 PM
Last Post: Kornee
  Does modern cosmology prove the existence of God? C C 2 76 Nov 4, 2021 07:51 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Pure physicalism as spiritual zen Magical Realist 0 862 Dec 16, 2014 12:07 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Did Zen ideas create the kamikaze? C C 1 1,012 Nov 15, 2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: Yazata