Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Potential EV scams + MS' quantum programming language + Will AI become conscious?

C C Offline
Nope, this isn’t the HTTPS-validated Stripe website you think it is
https://arstechnica.com/information-tech...ink-it-is/

EXCERPT: . . . For a decade, some security professionals have held out extended validation certificates as an innovation in website authentication because they require the person applying for the credential to undergo legal vetting. That's a step up from less stringent domain validation that requires applicants to merely demonstrate control over the site's Internet name. Now, a researcher has shown how EV certificates can be used to trick people into trusting scam sites, particularly when targets are using Apple's Safari browser....

MORE: https://arstechnica.com/information-tech...ink-it-is/

Microsoft’s Q# quantum programming language out now in preview - It’s pronounced “Q sharp.”
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/...n-preview/

EXCERPT: Microsoft launched a preview version of a new programming language for quantum computing called Q#. The industry giant also launched a quantum simulator that developers can use to test and debug their quantum algorithms. [...] Given that quantum computers are still rare, Microsoft has built an as-yet-unnamed quantum simulator to run those quantum programs. [...] Real quantum computers use cryogenic temperatures and are limited to a handful of qubits...

MORE: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/...n-preview/

Will artificial intelligence become conscious?
https://theconversation.com/will-artific...ious-87231

EXCERPT: Forget about today’s modest incremental advances in artificial intelligence, such as the increasing abilities of cars to drive themselves. Waiting in the wings might be a groundbreaking development: a machine that is aware of itself and its surroundings, and that could take in and process massive amounts of data in real time. It could be sent on dangerous missions, into space or combat. In addition to driving people around, it might be able to cook, clean, do laundry – and even keep humans company when other people aren’t nearby.

A particularly advanced set of machines could replace humans at literally all jobs. That would save humanity from workaday drudgery, but it would also shake many societal foundations. A life of no work and only play may turn out to be a dystopia.

Conscious machines would also raise troubling legal and ethical problems. Would a conscious machine be a “person” under law and be liable if its actions hurt someone, or if something goes wrong? To think of a more frightening scenario, might these machines rebel against humans and wish to eliminate us altogether? If yes, they represent the culmination of evolution.

As a professor of electrical engineering and computer science who works in machine learning and quantum theory, I can say that researchers are divided on whether these sorts of hyperaware machines will ever exist. There’s also debate about whether machines could or should be called “conscious” in the way we think of humans, and even some animals, as conscious. Some of the questions have to do with technology; others have to do with what consciousness actually is....

MORE: https://theconversation.com/will-artific...ious-87231
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:A life of no work and only play may turn out to be a dystopia.

I find that a particularly misanthropic assumption. I live a life of no work and all play and I love it. At first you're not used to it, like retirement. You are literally goin nuts trying to stay busy. But over time all that cultural programming about being useful to society and having to accomplish shit fades away. Eventually you just accept what is. It's a gradual spiritual awakening of your inner being. The inherent Zen of simply experiencing. You live in a state of innumerable coexistent possibilities, which turns out to be the essence of freedom. You live in the shadow of mountains you may never climb, beside a stream you may never cross, among beasts you may never see. And that is enough.
Syne Offline
Straight from the horses mouth. MR admits he's not "useful to society". Who's paying for your "life of no work and all play"? Welfare...disability?
People are beholden to whoever owns the machines or secures the welfare/disability.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 14, 2017 11:14 PM)Syne Wrote: Straight from the horses mouth. MR admits he's not "useful to society". Who's paying for your "life of no work and all play"? Welfare...disability?
People are beholden to whoever owns the machines or secures the welfare/disability.

I live on V.A. disability, which isn't much. You want to argue about it? I have the V.A.'s phone number.
Syne Offline
I buy that it's disability. VA disability....not so much. Maybe a quick jaunt through boot camp.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 14, 2017 11:50 PM)Syne Wrote: I buy that it's disability. VA disability....not so much. Maybe a quick jaunt through boot camp.

I was in the Navy for 9 years.
Syne Offline
I shudder to think of your line-crossing ceremony.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 14, 2017 11:56 PM)Syne Wrote: I shudder to think of your line-crossing ceremony.

We never crossed the Equator on my ship. Anything else you want to bitch about?
Syne Offline
While the Navy does seem the most credible, I'm still not taking the word of some anonymous guy online.
Magical Realist Offline
(Dec 15, 2017 12:17 AM)Syne Wrote: While the Navy does seem the most credible, I'm still not taking the word of some anonymous guy online.

If anonymity is a reason to dismiss a report, how do you get thru the evening news?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming Versions stryder 2 105 Nov 23, 2023 10:38 PM
Last Post: stryder
  More on C++ Programming Ostronomos 1 161 Sep 25, 2022 09:08 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Record entanglement of quantum memories + Quantum flute manipulates photons C C 0 77 Jul 7, 2022 07:44 PM
Last Post: C C
  Programming a robot to teach itself how to move C C 0 149 May 11, 2021 10:13 PM
  If a robot is conscious, is it OK to turn it off? + Cybercrime targeting hospitals C C 4 339 Nov 7, 2020 06:57 PM
  Conscious exotica + Machinocene+ Glowing bacteria affected by Wi-Fi C C 2 610 Nov 10, 2016 02:49 AM
  Programming languages for engineers C C 0 500 Jun 7, 2016 07:12 PM
  Trudeau vs experts: Quantum computing in 35 seconds + Information & quantum systems C C 0 713 Apr 20, 2016 06:35 AM