Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Experiment shows that "arrow of time is a relative concept, not an absolute one"

C C Offline
https://phys.org/news/2017-12-arrow-rela...olute.html

EXCERPT: An international team of researchers has conducted an experiment that shows that the arrow of time is a relative concept, not an absolute one. In a paper uploaded to the arXiv server, the team describe their experiment and its outcome, and also explain why their findings do not violate the second law of thermodynamics....

Abstract: The second law permits the prediction of the direction of natural processes, thus defining a thermodynamic arrow of time. However, standard thermodynamics presupposes the absence of initial correlations between interacting systems. We here experimentally demonstrate the reversal of the arrow of time for two initially quantum correlated spins-1/2, prepared in local thermal states at different temperatures, employing a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance setup. We observe a spontaneous heat flow from the cold to the hot system. This process is enabled by a trade off between correlations and entropy that we quantify with information-theoretical quantities....

MORE: https://phys.org/news/2017-12-arrow-rela...olute.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...wards.html
FluidSpaceMan Offline
I don't get what this has to do with the arrow of time. Are they saying that correlation of involves some sort of time reversal? A thermodynamic reaction appears to have run backward. I would like to be sure that there is nothing in the system that would act as a pump to cause this local decrease in entropy.
Syne Offline
Depending on how much you equate information with entropy, it appears this could be interpreted as no violation of thermodynamic law (i.e. no reversal of the arrow of time).

"For initially correlated systems, we observe a spontaneous
heat current from the cold to the hot spin and show that
this process is made possible by a decrease of the mu-
tual information between the spins. The second law for
the isolated two-spin system is therefore verified"
- https://arxiv.org/pdf/1711.03323.pdf
C C Offline
That's why I put quotation marks around its assertion, for any new members here. This is just part of the usual weekly output where yet another _X_ team maintains its job security. Most likely unmemorable. In the last decade alone there have been so many middling to "astounding" announcements made in theoretical physics -- that are forgotten a few months later and seldom if ever addressed again -- that an oil tanker could be filled with their neglected corpses (lack of pursuing).

Because of the differing interpretative preferences of scientists (theory-ladenness as well as any blatant loyalties to their favorites), you can take it for granted that a claim made by either a research team itself or as framed by the science journalists reporting on it will be alternatively re-conceived, challenged, or disputed. Few things are ever settled in this abstract playground other than the potential for a particular _X_ construct to garner a good record at predictions. Or in demonstrating practical usefulness in cutting-edge technology or aiding another human endeavor. But with rival interpretative views still dogging its heels, or it being variably realized in a scientific realism context (whenever this or that physicist takes a notion to jump so ontological / philosophical out of a 6-story high window).

- - -
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Dec 3, 2017 06:28 AM)C C Wrote: https://phys.org/news/2017-12-arrow-rela...olute.html

EXCERPT: An international team of researchers has conducted an experiment that shows that the arrow of time is a relative concept, not an absolute one. In a paper uploaded to the arXiv server, the team describe their experiment and its outcome, and also explain why their findings do not violate the second law of thermodynamics....

Abstract: The second law permits the prediction of the direction of natural processes, thus defining a thermodynamic arrow of time. However, standard thermodynamics presupposes the absence of initial correlations between interacting systems. We here experimentally demonstrate the reversal of the arrow of time for two initially quantum correlated spins-1/2, prepared in local thermal states at different temperatures, employing a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance setup. We observe a spontaneous heat flow from the cold to the hot system. This process is enabled by a trade off between correlations and entropy that we quantify with information-theoretical quantities....

what temperature is a black hole ?
stryder Offline
(Dec 4, 2017 10:30 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote:
(Dec 3, 2017 06:28 AM)C C Wrote: https://phys.org/news/2017-12-arrow-rela...olute.html

what temperature is a black hole ?

Well the theory is that every that is pulled into a blackhole is both spaghettified and effected by an event horizon, so while you have a set value of quanta going it, it potentially occupies a greater space than normal and is slowed. So entropically it would suggest that from the universes "flat" perspective, it would actually be cold, not just from sucking in energy but from the spacial distortion and the slowing of time. There is still the question as to whether a blackhole however is actually a destructive force, and isn't just a warping of spacetime. This would mean that from the relative perspective of something entering one, it wouldn't be distorted (time would appear to move normally) as to whether the rest of the universe would appear distorted that would be pure speculation.

Personally though I feel blackholes are still extremely speculative, I mean they are a theory to address anomalies that can't be understood without something filling the gap. While there is a lot of talk of blackholes online, I've yet to see Science literally point at one and prove they actually exist.

As for the actual experiment, it would be rather interesting if the same sort of experiment could be conducted in regards to Gravity and orbital body alignment, to see not just gravities attraction property but also repulsive property.
elte Offline
I recall that they knew them only as quasars.
Yazata Offline
Physicists are playing metaphysician again.

"The second law of thermodynamics says that entropy, or disorder, tends to increase over time, which is why everything in the world around us appears to unfold forward in time."

That's an awfully strong statement that seems to me to sneak in an answer to a metaphysical question about how best to understand and explain the arrow of time. It suggests that they have a stronger grip on the nature of time than they really do.

I'm certainly not a physicist, but I'm more inclined to attribute the arrow of time to the direction of causality. Events now have effects in the future, not in the past. And I don't think that the direction of causality is the same thing as the second "law" of thermodynamics.

I think that the reason physicists don't want to use causality to define the arrow of time is that their equations of mechanics are all time-reversal-invariant. The mathematical functions work equally well both ways. The only place time-asymmetry shows up in their mathematics seems to be in thermodynamics. So thermodynamics becomes the explanation for why time is asymmetric in their minds.

I'd be more inclined to say that the fact that their equations of mechanics don't successfully model the arrow of time is an indication of a defect in those equations. Far from being experimentally perfect as far as is known, there's a huge and obvious aspect of reality that they don't even successfully address.
Syne Offline
The Second Law of Thermodynamics is actually about usable energy. Entropy is the loss of energy usable in performing work (causing things). This quantum system they describe, cannot perform work in any real, much less classical, macroscopic, sense. So they're just equivocating that the second law is violated.
C C Offline
(Dec 4, 2017 06:08 PM)Yazata Wrote: Physicists are playing metaphysician again. [...] Far from being experimentally perfect as far as is known, there's a huge and obvious aspect of reality that they don't even successfully address.

It's reminiscent of what Rosenberg refers to at bottom in regard to gray areas open to interpretation. Where a particular science eventually "decrees something" or settles on a particular candidate view just to fill what might otherwise be an empty placeholder or confusion of varying opinions in the student textbooks. And then admitted scientism folk like him run with it afterwards like it is a permanent fact or unchallenged gospel truth.

"By the authority of the Research / Theory Priests of _X_ Discipline this issue has been settled." The remaining objections / criticism dispensed to the dustbin. (Perhaps actually most often by the aforementioned textbook writers themselves and prolific science authors / journalists with dominant personalities. Rather than some supposed, legislative council of peers.)

A formal system has to decide what its own abstract residents are going to be, what belongs to or is coherent with it. And an enterprise like science is so heavily riddled with quantitative constructs that certain agents of it probably can't help but deem their profession as needing to do the same at times, with its loose ends. Especially with regard to satisfying students and the interested public / fan base.

An Interview With Alex Rosenberg
http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=4209

You are strongly committed to the view that “the methods of science are the only reliable way to secure knowledge of anything”? What would you say to those who would suggest that the methods of science can give us no knowledge about mathematics and what it is like to see red?

Alex Rosenberg: What I say in response to such sophisticated philosophical challenges is first, like all the other metaphysical and epistemological alternatives, scientism does not yet have a satisfactory account of mathematics or our understanding of it; second, the so-called “hard problem” of consciousness—what its like to have a qualitative experience—is a sign post along the research program of neuroscience. It will eventually have to dissolve this problem, just as physics eventually had to dissolve Zeno’s paradox of motion. Meanwhile, if I have to weigh the achievements of science in the balance against the problems of the philosophy of mathematics and the first person point of view, I’ll choose science. 400 years of ever-increasing depth and breadth in explanation and prediction carries a lot more weight with me than a handful of philosophical conundrums and Platonism about mathematics.

- - -

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article How black holes consume entropy + Is anything absolute with relativity? C C 0 89 Nov 16, 2023 04:36 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Physicists prove double-slit experiment can be recreated in time, not just space C C 10 283 Apr 6, 2023 04:07 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Time is the increase of order, not disorder (Towards a new arrow of time) C C 1 108 Jul 30, 2022 05:06 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Could dark matter be decaying into dark energy? + The double-slit experiment: Solved? C C 1 124 May 30, 2022 10:36 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Mathematician: "There is no absolute randomness in this universe" C C 0 192 Nov 5, 2020 07:44 PM
  Physicists discover "anti-gravity" in bizarre buoyancy experiment C C 1 170 Sep 4, 2020 02:35 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Defying friction at atomic level + Simple, universal laws found that aim time's arrow C C 3 433 Aug 3, 2019 07:44 PM
  The Mystery of Time’s Arrow C C 1 425 Apr 6, 2019 04:07 AM
Last Post: Syne
  The Muon Experiment and Spacetime Geometry confused2 13 3,516 Oct 14, 2018 01:40 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Concept of emptiness in set theory: How zero went from “nothing” to “something” C C 0 489 Oct 4, 2018 11:29 PM