Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Are forums dying?

C C Offline
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthrea...post810110

EXCERPT: [...] Other forums that I had joined, such as Evyl,org and My Board Is Down have long since disappeared. (One crashed when someone replied to an old thread with an e-mail that no longer existed, wiping out hundreds of threads). Though I was never deeply involved in those as I was RT or Cyburbia, there were some cool responses to some threads that I wrote (such as my repeat dream thread also posted here) that are lost forever.

As far as Cyburbia goes, it doesn't have nearly the traffic it used to. As you may have seen me note earlier, Page 1 activity rarely went back more than 48 hours during the heyday of the mid-2000s. Now, threads posted way back on November 21, are still on page 1, over ten days ago. There are a lot of members that I haven't seen in years. And the gallery can't seem to accept new uploads.

So what do you think? Are vBulletin type forums rapidly becoming a thing of the past as people move to more interactive venues like Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. Do you belong to any other vBulletin type forums? If so, how have those fared over the past five years or so. What does the future hold for Cyburbia as we all age and, other than The Terminator, get few newer and younger members? Will this forum even be around in five years?

MORE: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthrea...post810110
Syne Offline
Social media definitely seems to fit that role for most people, but I'm an admitted Luddite. I still think having the patience to get home before seeing replies is a good practice.
stryder Offline
Forums suffer from two main points, one is the technology advancement of forums has been slow going and the other is the adaptation by the millennial generation of Branded social network types.  Forums therefore aren't necessarily popular with the "Cool Kids", however I still think they work particularly well with "Grown ups".

It really breaks down to how age factors on social interactions in general.  Kids have lots of friends/rivals that they interact with, as they grow older their lives diverge from different jobs, directions and lifestyles.  This generally means the number of those that people choose to socially interact with declines in number.  Social networks are aimed at those that have a lot of people to interact with, therefore it's seen as both younger and "cooler".  As we age we might decide if someone we once knew has now  been Sent to Coventry (wikipedia.org).  Facebook has a habit of letting all people in Coventry have access.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Dec 4, 2017 07:39 PM)stryder Wrote: Forums suffer from two main points, one is the technology advancement of forums has been slow going and the other is the adaptation by the millennial generation of Branded social network types.  Forums therefore aren't necessarily popular with the "Cool Kids", however I still think they work particularly well with "Grown ups".

It really breaks down to how age factors on social interactions in general.  Kids have lots of friends/rivals that they interact with, as they grow older their lives diverge from different jobs, directions and lifestyles.  This generally means the number of those that people choose to socially interact with declines in number.  Social networks are aimed at those that have a lot of people to interact with, therefore it's seen as both younger and "cooler".  As we age we might decide if someone we once knew has now  been Sent to Coventry (wikipedia.org).  Facebook has a habit of letting all people in Coventry have access.

if you wish to advance your mind with intellectuals then forums is the way to do it.
like your reply to me stryder Re black holes in the other thread.(which i am going to reply to once i have double checked some physics theorys and read up on something that i was unsure of and pondering & cross referenced it with some other things i thought were related)

the main reason modern social media exists is to document a pictural life of merchandising primary marketing group.
twitter is slightly outside that.
facebook which is by far the dominant factor is geared toward flash card personal like paradigms.
thats how it makes its money.

community discussion doesnt like to pose different ideological or intelectual points against its house as it can easily undermine the concept of the groups sense of fee-paying cohesion.
thus there is a sense of expected compliance to ideological paradigms which negates from the actual concept of a group who challenge each others ideas around solid principals.

many religous groups are an example where they spend all their time being told what to think and to all think the same thing.

or, you have proxy emotive excising groups that focus solely on items like pets or collectables where there is no allowance for heated  discussion as it detracts from the cohesive 3rd position group manifestation.

forums may become more popular as the mellenials mature and start to seek out debate on advanced intellectual issues.
currently the main global trend is for dog whistle collective reactionary positioning, rather than intellectual interaction.
Syne Offline
(Dec 4, 2017 08:35 PM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: many religous groups are an example where they spend all their time being told what to think and to all think the same thing.

Are you really that unaware of how many denominations and splinter groups exist in just Christianity?

Yeah, they "all think the same thing". [/sarcasm]  Rolleyes

It's like your own straw boogeyman.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The children suffering & dying from measles (anti-vaccine community) C C 0 13 Mar 13, 2024 03:15 PM
Last Post: C C
  Are liberals dying out via reproducing less? (political community) C C 1 380 Jun 19, 2017 09:17 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn