Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What's the difference between delusions and weird beliefs?

Magical Realist Offline
I asked my nurse practitioner the other day if I am delusional for believing in ghosts, ufos, psychic powers, and bigfoot. She said no. Those beliefs are like religion and may actually serve to benefit me in some way. So when DOES a weird belief become a delusion symptomatic of mental illness? It depends on how it affects you.

http://www.psychiatry.cam.ac.uk/blog/201...ifference/

"Beliefs that are bizarre, baffling and seemingly unsupported by evidence are referred to as delusions and are a hallmark of the most severe mental illnesses. Yet, it is possible to hold perfectly sane beliefs that others might regard as irrational. New brain imaging data suggests that while odd beliefs and delusions may exist on a continuum, the extent to which a belief evokes stress could be a crucial distinction.

The research is published online ahead of print in the journal Neuropsychologia.

“Our study suggests that that for individuals who hold strange beliefs but are not distressed by them, the brain signal is distinct from what is found in people with psychotic mental illness,” said Dr Philip Corlett, research associate at Cambridge and visiting assistant professor of psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine, and the study’s lead author. “However, if the belief begins to pervade one’s world-view and engender distress, there is a shift toward more pathological brain and behavioural responses.”

The researchers had previously observed that activity in the brain’s right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex predicts delusion severity in patients with psychosis. Having developed this neural marker of the processes underlying delusions, the researchers sought to explore whether similar alterations would be found in healthy, non-psychotic volunteers expressing beliefs that are, qualitatively, considered similar to those that characterize mental illness.

As part of this study, participants completed questionnaires that captured the number of odd beliefs they endorsed and whether they were convinced, preoccupied or distressed by those beliefs.

Study participants were asked if they believed in the power of witchcraft and mental telepathy, or if they felt there is a conspiracy against them. A commonly endorsed belief was, “People can make me aware of them just by thinking about me.”

Studies using the same questionnaires in patients with delusions found that although healthy people often endorsed as many unusual ideas as patients, those with clinical delusions were more distressed about their beliefs.

The researchers then correlated the predominance and nature of the beliefs with brain activity associated with delusions. The results suggest that there may be a separate mechanism through which unusual ideas and beliefs might remain benign and might even enrich people’s lives. However, healthy subjects whose beliefs were held with greater conviction and accompanied by greater distress were more likely to show brain activity similar to patients with delusions.

Prof Paul Fletcher, MD, PhD, the Bernard Wolfe Professor of Health Neuroscience at University of Cambridge, is senior author. This research was supported by the Wellcome Trust."
C C Offline
Who knows what lurks first in the minds of men: The paranoia that feeds a weird but initially tame doxastic state -- or the latter feeding the distress of a once trivial fear of conspiracy? The Shadow People know...

- - -
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Nov 15, 2017 06:34 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I asked my nurse practitioner the other day if I am delusional for believing in ghosts, ufos, psychic powers, and bigfoot. She said no. Those beliefs are like religion and may actually serve to benefit me in some way. So when DOES a weird belief become a delusion symptomatic of mental illness? It depends on how it affects you.

http://www.psychiatry.cam.ac.uk/blog/201...ifference/

"Beliefs that are bizarre, baffling and seemingly unsupported by evidence are referred to as delusions and are a hallmark of the most severe mental illnesses. Yet, it is possible to hold perfectly sane beliefs that others might regard as irrational. New brain imaging data suggests that while odd beliefs and delusions may exist on a continuum, the extent to which a belief evokes stress could be a crucial distinction.

The research is published online ahead of print in the journal Neuropsychologia.

“Our study suggests that that for individuals who hold strange beliefs but are not distressed by them, the brain signal is distinct from what is found in people with psychotic mental illness,” said Dr Philip Corlett, research associate at Cambridge and visiting assistant professor of psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine, and the study’s lead author. “However, if the belief begins to pervade one’s world-view and engender distress, there is a shift toward more pathological brain and behavioural responses.”

The researchers had previously observed that activity in the brain’s right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex predicts delusion severity in patients with psychosis. Having developed this neural marker of the processes underlying delusions, the researchers sought to explore whether similar alterations would be found in healthy, non-psychotic volunteers expressing beliefs that are, qualitatively, considered similar to those that characterize mental illness.

As part of this study, participants completed questionnaires that captured the number of odd beliefs they endorsed and whether they were convinced, preoccupied or distressed by those beliefs.

Study participants were asked if they believed in the power of witchcraft and mental telepathy, or if they felt there is a conspiracy against them. A commonly endorsed belief was, “People can make me aware of them just by thinking about me.”

Studies using the same questionnaires in patients with delusions found that although healthy people often endorsed as many unusual ideas as patients, those with clinical delusions were more distressed about their beliefs.

The researchers then correlated the predominance and nature of the beliefs with brain activity associated with delusions. The results suggest that there may be a separate mechanism through which unusual ideas and beliefs might remain benign and might even enrich people’s lives. However, healthy subjects whose beliefs were held with greater conviction and accompanied by greater distress were more likely to show brain activity similar to patients with delusions.

Prof Paul Fletcher, MD, PhD, the Bernard Wolfe Professor of Health Neuroscience at University of Cambridge, is senior author. This research was supported by the Wellcome Trust."

Quote:I asked my nurse practitioner the other day if I am delusional for believing in ghosts, ufos, psychic powers, and bigfoot. She said no. Those beliefs are like religion and may actually serve to benefit me in some way. So when DOES a weird belief become a delusion symptomatic of mental illness? It depends on how it affects you.

i was pondering something slightly similar the other day.
Religous beliefs...
number of people who beleive in god
thus number of people who thinkthings can be made out of thin air
Vs
same number of people who think things cant be made out of thin air by people...
it does seem oddly incongruent.
Leigha Offline
I'm sure people at one point, thought Einstein was delusional. Goes to show, sometimes, you have to ignore people who think you're delusional. lol
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Nov 18, 2017 05:10 AM)Leigha Wrote: I'm sure people at one point, thought Einstein was delusional. Goes to show, sometimes, you have to ignore people who think you're delusional. lol

Big Grin 
the word sounds like a vernacular perjorative. i guess that is mostly how it is used.

galileo galilei

orville wilbur wright

Columbus

Marie Curie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Curie
Quote:Maria's father was an atheist; her mother a devout Catholic.[17] The deaths of Maria's mother and sister caused her to give up Catholicism and become agnostic.[18]
[/url]
Quote:Unable to enroll in a regular institution of higher education because she was a woman, she and her sister Bronisława became involved with the clandestine [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_University]Flying University (sometimes translated as Floating University), a Polish patriotic institution of higher learning that admitted women students.[11][12]

Quote:While working for the latter family, she fell in love with their son, Kazimierz Żorawski, a future eminent mathematician.[19] His parents rejected the idea of his marrying the penniless relative, and Kazimierz was unable to oppose them.[19] Maria's loss of the relationship with Żorawski was tragic for both. He soon earned a doctorate and pursued an academic career as a mathematician, becoming a professor and rector of Kraków University. Still, as an old man and a mathematics professor at the Warsaw Polytechnic, he would sit contemplatively before the statue of Maria Skłodowska which had been erected in 1935 before the Radium Institute that she had founded in 1932.[14][20]

[Image: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg]
[Image: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg]

how many lives have Xrays saved ?
tens of millions ?

(Nov 16, 2017 08:25 AM)C C Wrote: Who knows what lurks first in the minds of men: The paranoia that feeds a weird but initially tame doxastic state -- or the latter feeding the distress of a once trivial fear of conspiracy? The Shadow People know...  

- - -

Quote:The Shadow People know...

what a great name for a chocolate bar !
Yazata Offline
It seems to me that a delusion is fixed unchanging belief in something that's clearly irrational (it doesn't make sense) or that  contradicts exceedingly strong evidence that the belief isn't true.

I don't think that holding unpopular beliefs is necessarily delusional.

Religious beliefs, or beliefs that ufos might be space aliens do make sense. And I don't think that there is any overwhelming body of evidence that the existence of God or that some ufos might be space aliens is false.
Magical Realist Offline
(Nov 16, 2017 08:25 AM)C C Wrote: Who knows what lurks first in the minds of men: The paranoia that feeds a weird but initially tame doxastic state -- or the latter feeding the distress of a once trivial fear of conspiracy? The Shadow People know...  

- - -

Psychosis goes hand in hand with paranoia. When I was on diet pills, I suffered psychotic delusions of my upstairs neighbor watching me from cameras hidden in my apt. I even fancied I could hear them talking about me, which fed into my later auditory hallucinations. I think if a belief thrives on extreme and irrational paranoia, it is likely a manifestation of a delusion. Irrational is the key factor here. Jews during the Third Reich were paranoid and justified in being so. So for them it wasn't delusional.
Yazata Offline
(Nov 18, 2017 06:21 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: Jews during the Third Reich were paranoid and justified in being so. So for them it wasn't delusional.

That's the thing with conspiracy theories. Sometimes they are true. Sometimes there are conspiracies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article The puzzling link between air pollution and suicide C C 2 104 Sep 11, 2023 11:28 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Link between cold weather and sickness Magical Realist 0 53 Nov 16, 2021 02:34 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  A new connection between the Gut and the Brain C C 0 307 Dec 6, 2018 07:53 PM
Last Post: C C