Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Healer

Magical Realist Online
I watched a show last night on TLC about an alleged healer named Charlie Goldsmith. Skeptical at first, I thought it'd be some sort of placebo effect or something. But watching him heal three cases, I am convinced he's the real deal. The condition he focuses on healing is the pain associated with a condition. Complex regional pain syndrome in a woman's leg. Knee joint pain from Lyme disease in a young man. And actor Jennifer Grey's disc replacement neck pain from a car accident 30 years ago. Charlie doesn't claim to heal everyone. But when it works it works. He simply closes his eyes which appear to go into an REM state and concentrates his energy on the person's painful body area for a few minutes, and keeps doing this over and over until the person can get up or move without the pain. He even works with doctors to provide solutions in cases that can't be cured by modern medicine. He takes no money for this life of service he is committed to. Truly another example of human singularities emerging in our modern times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2avGjsmVKhA

https://www.scivillage.com/thread-3711.html
C C Offline
(Nov 7, 2017 05:52 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [...] He takes no money for this life of service he is committed to.

Sounds like he's been successful enough in other areas that he wouldn't need to. Plus the "humble, gratis" approach itself contributes to attracting media attention and deflects the blatant species of exploitation as a motive ventured by skeptics. Got him a TV show, so there's still the possibility of a long-con purely satisfying a personal, covert desire for becoming a celebrity. But if there's indeed a lack of overt claims and his approach is that tame / passive, then even if deliberately intended to deceive (as opposed to either self-delusion or producing a genuine effect) it wouldn't seem much worse than one of those Sunday morning church shows that broadcast an ordinary, local minister's sermon minus a tele-evangelical empire propping him / her up. Just as long as he doesn't start asking the audience to financially invest in the paranormal in return for mystical compensation.

- - -
Magical Realist Online
Quote:Sounds like he's been successful enough in other areas that he wouldn't need to. Plus the "humble, gratis" approach itself contributes to attracting media attention and deflects the blatant species of exploitation as a motive ventured by skeptics. Got him a TV show, so there's still the possibility of a long-con purely satisfying a personal, covert desire for becoming a celebrity. But if there's indeed a lack of overt claims and his approach is that tame / passive, then even if deliberately intended to deceive (as opposed to either self-delusion or producing a genuine effect) it wouldn't seem much worse than one of those Sunday morning church shows that broadcast an ordinary, local minister's sermon minus a tele-evangelical empire propping him / her up. Just as long as he doesn't start asking the audience to financially invest in the paranormal in return for mystical compensation.

- - -

"Goldsmith accepted money for healing a few times in the beginning, when he was young and had little income, but since then he has healed for free because it seemed the right thing to do, and it precluded criticism that he was in it for the money. He also has a robust day job: Shortly after his twentieth birthday, he started the first of three businesses, a marketing company called Cassette that now employs 55 people, with offices in Melbourne, Sydney, and Hong Kong, doing branding work for the likes of Nike, Topshop, and scores of Australian companies. He also created a health-food company called Celebrate Health, which he says was generating nearly $6 million (U.S.) in annual sales when he sold it in 2014. Last summer he launched Pumpy Jackson, a company that makes no-sugar-added chocolate products......"

"Goldsmith also treated water for patient No. 6, an 87-year-old woman who had a history of coronary artery disease, a pacemaker, a resected bowel, diverticulosis, anemia, and other troubles. She had come into the hospital with pain in her chest, shoulder, and upper abdomen as well as chronic pain in her mouth, neck, and head. In the room with the patient were Goldsmith; two doctors, Ian Kaiser and Yasaman Eslaamizad; and a fourth-year medical student, Tanuj Sood, who made the following notes:

"The session began with Charlie energizing a cup of water that was already in the patient's room before he came. The patient then drank the water and was completely healed of the pain…in her left arm; however, the pain in her mouth, neck, and head still persisted.… Next, the patient ate some pudding which she states would typically give her severe epigastric pain. First, Charlie placed his hands over her sternal area without touching her, and then she proceeded to eat the entire…hospital size cup of pudding. After finishing the cup of pudding, she reported no pain at all. Finally, the patient complained of mouth pain that the patient reported to be a lump on the hard palate. After Charlie placed his hand over her head for a few seconds, the lump had decreased in size. Charlie repeated the maneuver with his hand over her head and shrunk the lump in her mouth completely. Finally, Charlie repeated the maneuver for the pain in the patient's neck and healed the patient of her neck pain. A few minutes after this session was over the patient got up and walked out of her room, into the hallway of the hospital, and back to her room. The patient states that this is the first time she has been able to walk without a cane for the past nine years."

The purported energizing of water makes quack-busters particularly apoplectic (the Grad/Estebany plant experiments with healer-treated water notwithstanding), and I asked Goldsmith why instead of treating patient No. 16 herself, he treated the water in her glass.

"Honestly? I was showing off," he said, flashing not just a bit of bluff Aussie confidence, but also a trace of the chronic exasperation he feels knowing that no matter how successful he is, he will have to prove himself anew in the face of reflexive skepticism. He's not the first good-looking human being to have to fight to be taken seriously, but Goldsmith's image is often commented upon by his critics. "What I do is always getting placed in the placebo bucket, which implies that my results are because of what's been triggered in your body or because of what you believe, or how I look. Everything to find an excuse. But I know if I don't put in the effort, it doesn't work. If my looks alone can heal 8 out of 10 people, the medical system needs to reconsider the way it casts doctors. We're wasting the talents of fashion models—they should go stand in hospitals and heal. What would they say if I was ugly—that I can heal because people feel sorry for me?"

http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-c...goldsmith/