Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Universe shouldn’t exist, CERN physicists conclude

C C Offline
https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/unive...s-conclude

EXCERPT: [...] Physicists at CERN in Switzerland have made the most precise measurement ever of the magnetic moment of an anti-proton – a number that measures how a particle reacts to magnetic force – and found it to be exactly the same as that of the proton but with opposite sign. The work is described in Nature.

“All of our observations find a complete symmetry between matter and antimatter, which is why the universe should not actually exist,” says Christian Smorra, a physicist at CERN’s Baryon–Antibaryon Symmetry Experiment (BASE) collaboration. “An asymmetry must exist here somewhere but we simply do not understand where the difference is.” [...]

MORE: https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/unive...s-conclude
stryder Offline
The statement of "The universe should not actually exist" bases that the universe is a naturally accidentally occurring phenomena. The thing is that the universe contains lifeforms that exist within it (sentience cares about existing, strata does not) and therefore would invest in making sure that it exists and continues to exist, otherwise life should not exist. This could be further conjectured into "If life didn't exist, nor would the universe."

Quote:"There's a whole lot of arm waving going on."
Syne Offline
Quite contrary to the "universe shouldn't exist", these fine-tuned balanced actually suggest that it couldn't help but exist. There's little reason to expect to find an asymmetry this far removed from its origin.
C C Offline
(Oct 23, 2017 04:31 PM)stryder Wrote: The statement of "The universe should not actually exist" bases that the universe is a naturally accidentally occurring phenomena. The thing is that the universe contains lifeforms that exist within it (sentience cares about existing, strata does not) and therefore would invest in making sure that it exists and continues to exist, otherwise life should not exist. This could be further conjectured into "If life didn't exist, nor would the universe."

At the very least the vast majority of the cosmos -- the mindless "strata" -- would lack any empirical and reasoned evidence of itself existing without consciousness and intelligence somewhere (i.e., qualitative manifestations and symbolic thought activity). Either science or naturalism can be depended upon as a precondition (of laughter) to reject panpsychism ever alternatively being the case (barring sudden climate change in Hell having coincidence with such a flip-flop policy change).

I'm skeptical of the commonsense view of time (presentism or only "now" exists)[*], anyway, and thereby don't worry much about the be-ing of everything in this speciously "objective moment" being dependent upon an origin circa 14 billions years ago not having flaws or gaps in its abstract description.

- - - - - -

[*] Wherein a global state of the universe is annihilating and replacing itself continually in yoctosecond intervals (so as to accommodate changes at the subatomic level). Should that incredibly rapid blinking in and out of existence not be magical enough, then the maintenance of consistency throughout the process over eons without any literally potent explanatory principles or hidden metaphysical machinery to provide / ensure the regulation certainly is (another "it just happens" marvel).

- - -
Zinjanthropos Offline
I don't find it difficult to understand why some people think there's more going on then meets the eye, as far as the universe and life goes. I'm hoping like hell that some day soon life is created in the lab but as long as that outcome seems unattainable then I expect more of the same with regard to special hypotheses with no support of probability. Be it gods, consciousness', metaphysics, etc there will be nothing like it when a human creates a life form from scratch. Until then just grin and bear it. That and confirmation of extraterrestrial life should move the parameters of understanding somewhat.

Universe doesn't exist? Well I guess we'll just have to get use to what nothing looks like.
Syne Offline
Scientism. Rolleyes
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Oct 24, 2017 05:49 PM)Syne Wrote: Scientism.  Rolleyes

Ya, somehow it just keeps happening. Still, secretly I'd still like to see something of the non science hypotheses proven. Then again I would just think of it as naturally occurring. I want to think there's unnatural stuff going on but alas I'd be faced with the same dilemma. In a world that's total unnatural from ours, would occupants consider our world unnatural? Wink
Syne Offline
(Oct 24, 2017 06:03 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Oct 24, 2017 05:49 PM)Syne Wrote: Scientism.  Rolleyes

Ya, somehow it just keeps happening. Still, secretly I'd still like to see something of the non science hypotheses proven. Then again I would just think of it as naturally occurring. I want to think there's unnatural stuff going on but alas I'd be faced with the same dilemma. In a world that's total unnatural from ours, would occupants consider our world unnatural? Wink

Sorry, but that's just contradictory. You're asking for "non science hypotheses" to be "proven" by scientific methodology.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:Sorry, but that's just contradictory. You're asking for "non science hypotheses" to be "proven" by scientific methodology.

Exactly, and that just keeps on not happening, but they keep trying. (couldn't ask for a better response, thanks) Wink
Syne Offline
Who keeps trying?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article We don’t need a quantum gravity: Why we shouldn't quantize spacetime C C 0 19 Mar 12, 2024 06:33 PM
Last Post: C C
  Physicists unveil 10-year plan for exploring the quantum Universe C C 0 74 Dec 12, 2023 10:53 PM
  The Standard Model is not enough or "Should CERN build a larger collider or not?" C C 1 192 Oct 24, 2020 12:50 AM
  Round universe would be bad news for physicists + Vampires & chemistry (video) C C 0 243 Nov 6, 2019 11:51 PM
  Life could exist in a 2D universe (according to physics, anyway) C C 1 246 Jun 27, 2019 01:27 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Cern to make contact with parallel universe Magical Realist 2 1,570 Oct 23, 2015 07:33 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist