Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

USA to cut corporate tax rate by 50%

RainbowUnicorn Offline
https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-f...ue-3305762

will it bring all those qwasi US corporates back into the country to start paying corporate tax ?

Quote:Corporate taxes add $355 billion, only 10 percent. Customs excise taxes and tariffs on imports contribute $146 billion, just 4 percent

Quote:Where does the federal government's revenue come from? Individual taxpayers like you provide most of of it.

Income taxes contribute $1.836 trillion, half of the total. Another third ($1.224 trillion) comes from your payroll taxes.

150 billion less per year.
the other changes look really good

soo... what is going to be cut by 150 billion per year ?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41404415
Quote:What cuts are in the Republican tax plan?
For businesses:
  • Reduce corporate rate from 35% to 20%
  • Change tax on overseas profits
  • A top 25% rate for firms organised as "pass-through entities", such as limited liability corporations
For families:
  • Nearly double the amount individuals and families can deduct to $12,000 and $24,000
  • Increase tax credit for children
  • Introduce a new tax credit for non-child dependents
  • Eliminate a tax on inheritances
Syne Offline
(Sep 28, 2017 01:20 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: will it bring all those qwasi US corporates back into the country to start paying corporate tax ?

I hope not...at least not too quickly.

The more money in a system the less value is has...unless it is balanced against the commerce to absorb it...which takes time.

So any corporate tax cuts need to be incremental, over a prolonged schedule.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Sep 28, 2017 02:59 AM)Syne Wrote:
(Sep 28, 2017 01:20 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: will it bring all those qwasi US corporates back into the country to start paying corporate tax ?

I hope not...at least not too quickly.

The more money in a system the less value is has...unless it is balanced against the commerce to absorb it...which takes time.

So any corporate tax cuts need to be incremental, over a prolonged schedule.

cant imagine the voters being happy to accept 150 billion $ reduction in anti terrorist spending.

you make an excellent point about the incrimental process.
Yazata Offline
My understanding is that the intention is to lower pretty much all of the individual income tax brackets, while at the same time eliminating lots of tax writeoffs and loopholes that wealthy taxpayers claim in their itemized deductions. So some wealthy taxpayers might end up paying more.

The main beneficiaries of this will be the majority of taxpayers who take standard deductions and don't itemize.

A big reason Democrats don't like it is that it reportedly eliminates people's ability to subtract their state and local taxes from their federal taxes. So wealthier residents of high-tax states like New York and California will end up paying more. As things stand, they are allowed to pay less federal tax than they would if they were residents of low state-tax states.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Oct 15, 2017 04:33 AM)Yazata Wrote: My understanding is that the intention is to lower pretty much all of the individual income tax brackets, while at the same time eliminating lots of tax writeoffs and loopholes that wealthy taxpayers claim in their itemized deductions. So some wealthy taxpayers might end up paying more.

The main beneficiaries of this will be the majority of taxpayers who take standard deductions and don't itemize.

A big reason Democrats don't like it is that it reportedly eliminates people's ability to subtract their state and local taxes from their federal taxes. So wealthier residents of high-tax states like New York and California will end up paying more. As things stand, they are allowed to pay less federal tax than they would if they were residents of low state-tax states.

Quote:A big reason Democrats don't like it is that it reportedly eliminates people's ability to subtract their state and local taxes from their federal taxes. So wealthier residents of high-tax states like New York and California will end up paying more.

i must be completely out of the loop. i didnt realise new york democrats controlled the Senate & Congress.
Syne Offline
(Oct 15, 2017 12:31 PM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: i must be completely out of the loop. i didnt realise new york democrats controlled the Senate & Congress.

Hence the talk about closing tax write-off loop holes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The puzzle of North America's record Covid hospital rate C C 28 748 Feb 23, 2022 03:47 PM
Last Post: Kornee
  UK hospital patients: No differences by ethnicity in COVID-19 mortality rate? C C 0 136 May 16, 2020 08:33 PM
Last Post: C C
  If your pay is not yours to keep, then neither is the tax C C 15 2,155 Sep 25, 2017 06:38 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Mexico’s Soda Tax Is Working - 'The US Should Learn From It' C C 0 597 Jul 13, 2015 05:44 PM
Last Post: C C
  Thou shalt NOT cut in line Magical Realist 0 1,053 Dec 6, 2014 07:40 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist