Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Progressivism and multiculturalism

Syne Offline
I'm curious if anyone here consider themselves both progressive and believe in multiculturalism.

"Progressivism is the support for or advocacy of social reform. As a philosophy, it is based on the Idea of Progress, which asserts that advancements in science, technology, economic development, and social organization are vital to the improvement of the human condition."

"Multiculturalism as a political philosophy involves ideologies and policies which vary widely, ranging from the advocacy of equal respect to the various cultures in a society, to policies of promoting the maintenance of cultural diversity, to policies in which people of various ethnic and religious groups are addressed by the authorities as defined by the group to which they belong."

Specifically, belief in "policies of promoting the maintenance of cultural diversity"...whatever that may mean to you.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Sep 25, 2017 05:43 PM)Syne Wrote: I'm curious if anyone here consider themselves both progressive and believe in multiculturalism.

"Progressivism is the support for or advocacy of social reform. As a philosophy, it is based on the Idea of Progress, which asserts that advancements in science, technology, economic development, and social organization are vital to the improvement of the human condition."

"Multiculturalism as a political philosophy involves ideologies and policies which vary widely, ranging from the advocacy of equal respect to the various cultures in a society, to policies of promoting the maintenance of cultural diversity, to policies in which people of various ethnic and religious groups are addressed by the authorities as defined by the group to which they belong."

Specifically, belief in "policies of promoting the maintenance of cultural diversity"...whatever that may mean to you.

I don't worry about it at my age. Is that cultural diversity without assimilation/integration?
Syne Offline
(Sep 25, 2017 06:07 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Is that cultural diversity without assimilation/integration?

Like I said, "whatever that may mean to you". Can you promote and maintain cultural diversity with assimilation/integration?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Sep 25, 2017 06:25 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Sep 25, 2017 06:07 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Is that cultural diversity without assimilation/integration?

Like I said, "whatever that may mean to you". Can you promote and maintain cultural diversity with assimilation/integration?

Depends on the vote buying mood of the government. Just thinking, here in Canada the Syrian refugees received more money coming here than a 5th generation unemployed Canadian on welfare. Also in Canada the gov't has sworn to help the indigenous peoples no matter what the cost. The natives aren't stupid and have turned gov't handouts into a billion dollar industry, all the while maintaining and promoting some vestige of their ancient culture. In Richmond BC the city just passed a bylaw ordering signs be posted in English, not Cantonese/Chinese. There was a mall I went to there a few years ago where everything posted or spoken was the same. You see the same  in Toronto's Markham (Asian) district. As I said, I don't care or even know if I should. It's the way the world evolves and everyone knows I favor evolution even if it isn't flora or fauna. Gov't here promotes multiculturalism but if its assimilation/integration you want then my experience is telling me it isn't happening here as much as some think. Maybe its harder to do if you're always worried about ending up in court or losing a job because of something you said, don't know. Younger generation seems fine with the way things are so that's good enough for me.
Syne Offline
(Sep 25, 2017 07:03 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: As I said, I don't care or even know if I should. It's the way the world evolves and everyone knows I favor evolution even if it isn't flora or fauna. Gov't here promotes multiculturalism but if its assimilation/integration you want then my experience is telling me it isn't happening here as much as some think.

That was also my impression of the issue in Canada. I guess you should only care if you think one culture may be better, in some respects, than another. Do the immigrating cultures share your value of evolution?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Sep 25, 2017 09:06 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Sep 25, 2017 07:03 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: As I said, I don't care or even know if I should. It's the way the world evolves and everyone knows I favor evolution even if it isn't flora or fauna. Gov't here promotes multiculturalism but if its assimilation/integration you want then my experience is telling me it isn't happening here as much as some think.

That was also my impression of the issue in Canada. I guess you should only care if you think one culture may be better, in some respects, than another. Do the immigrating cultures share your value of evolution?

Never asked but again, doesn't matter. I think the indigenous people are going to need to work harder. The cash will continue to flow as long as there's a majority white anglo/franco culture but with more and more immigrants coming from countries who can't relate to aboriginal problems then I can see a day when the well runs dry. Possibly a clash down the road but well after I'm gone.

Hardly a day goes by when there isn't a news story about teenage aboriginals committing suicide.  Of course it's the conquerors fault, despite taxpayer cash. However my money is on these kids not being allowed to assimilate, just to keep the appearance of a culture and to keep the money coming in. In my mind it's a business. People look at you like you belong in prison if this subject is brought up. They'll figure it out someday.
C C Offline
(Sep 25, 2017 07:03 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: [...] Gov't here promotes multiculturalism [...]

There's always been the unmanaged / loosely governed interaction of distinct groups or the "lived experience of diversity". In contrast to multiculturalism as rhetoric, propaganda, and prescribed political policies that try to force group recognition and inclusion in whatever area (executive level employment, entertainment and arts, affirmative action, historical acknowledgments, holidays, themes of months and weeks, etc).

Plus, in the US the worldly idea of "One law or one overarching authority" for the people has often been undermined by the exemptions and local arbitrations of pre-Left traditions which didn't have a "multicultural" label around to be affiliated / conflated with. That multifarious unpredictability, which reputedly exasperated Europeans about America in the past if not still today, "provides Americans with myriad opportunities to choose which kinds of legal regimes they will use to order their lives". A breakdown, which can include the external flux and influence of immigrants in contributing to the social heterogeneity:

(1) Deeper commitment to federalism. An organization of more ore less self-governing units which the Founders foresaw as potentially having and maintaining substantive subcultural differences. Not just variations at state level, but Indian tribal law and a hodgepodge quilt of overlapping county, city, town rules and principles.

(2) The range of religious freedom (multiple denominations scattered across counties).

(3) The exercise of speech liberty and economic freedom allowing diverging thought orientations, systems, practices and recruitment into them.

(4) Parental rights or parental authority over the development of a household, and the mutating personal beliefs and idiosyncrasies which might arise within that parameter. Though it might not have been officially respected as far back by the courts as the others.

The so-called "new multiculturalism" (a term only appearing recently) is arguably rooted in the above. Its adherents care less about acknowledgement / inclusion and more about maintaining their autonomy. As religions and para-religious ideological cliques re-assert themselves with stronger negotiations for procuring exemptions and "right to solve their own disputes" via Christian, Islamic, etc tribunals. Due to the feeling that they are being marginalized by the current judicial and legislative climate.

Accordingly, the "new multiculturalism" is frowned upon by government and secular establishment: "Religious arbitration produces terrible injustice, both procedural and substantive. [...] religious norms and values very often include commitments that clash severely with contemporary liberal notions of gender equality, religious liberty, freedom of choice, personal privacy and distributive justice." Though commercial law institutions are thrilled about the expanding opportunities for their agents / lawyers.

Another departing ripple is interculturalism, developing in response to specific criticisms of conventional multiculturalism.

- - -
elte Offline
(Sep 25, 2017 05:43 PM)Syne Wrote: I'm curious if anyone here consider themselves both progressive and believe in multiculturalism.

I believe in both but the latter so far as being free to make a personal microculture and living in it.
Syne Offline
(Sep 26, 2017 10:00 PM)elte Wrote:

I believe in both but the latter so far as being free to make a personal microculture and living in it.

Even if that culture is firmly against progress?
elte Offline
Valuing my individuality, I think that might be the case, yet it happens that my ways, at least as intended, tend to be more progressive than the general public's, at least based on my judgement of the matter.