Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What's More Difficult to Believe?

Zinjanthropos Offline
A creator god or a creator god that just popped into existence? With the Abrahamic god, I would almost think that 'just is' is the best way to avoid tackling the issue of how God got there. Tells me that perhaps explaining a god's origins defies even belief. Would a story/belief re God's origin make the primary belief(God) more unbelievable?
Syne Offline
(Sep 23, 2017 03:36 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: A creator god or a creator god that just popped into existence? With the Abrahamic god, I would almost think that 'just is' is the best way to avoid tackling the issue of how God got there. Tells me that perhaps explaining a god's origins defies even belief. Would a story/belief re God's origin make the primary belief(God) more unbelievable?

How is an eternal god different from an eternal universe some argue to avoid a beginning altogether? Just the veneer of science?
Personally, I have no trouble seeing god's origin, like creation itself, as ex nihilo.

(Sep 23, 2017 04:10 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: God on the Brain Diminishes Discovery

Yet many of the most important scientific discoveries came from religious people, including clergy. Rolleyes

What ignorant people always fail to realize is that religion is a step up from superstition, where the avarice of evil spirits give way to an orderly and understandable world because of the belief that it was designed to be so.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Sep 23, 2017 06:33 PM)Syne Wrote: How is an eternal god different from an eternal universe some argue to avoid a beginning altogether? Just the veneer of science?

No. The difference is mental representation—intentionality.
Magical Realist Offline
Since there is evidence of the universe but no evidence for a God, it is far easier to believe in the universe regardless of how it came to be.
Syne Offline
(Sep 23, 2017 06:57 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote:
(Sep 23, 2017 06:33 PM)Syne Wrote: How is an eternal god different from an eternal universe some argue to avoid a beginning altogether? Just the veneer of science?

No. The difference is mental representation—intentionality.
Yeah, using the validity of science to invoke science of the gaps. Just a more academically respectable veneer.
(Sep 23, 2017 07:03 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: Since there is evidence of the universe but no evidence for a God, it is far easier to believe in the universe regardless of how it came to be.

Thanks for proving my point. You're just as fine with saying the universe "just is" as a theist justifying god.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:How is an eternal god different from an eternal universe some argue to avoid a beginning altogether? Just the veneer of science? 
Personally, I have no trouble seeing god's origin, like creation itself, as ex nihilo. 

I have no problem with that since many people tend to think everything (that would include us) came from nothing. I have trouble with coming from nothing fully equipped and omni everything. What wonderful and fantastic process could have occurred for that to happen?
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Thanks for proving my point. You're just as fine with saying the universe "just is" as a theist justifying god.

Yeah..reality just is. What a radical concept. Rolleyes
C C Offline
(Sep 23, 2017 03:36 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: A creator god or a creator god that just popped into existence? With the Abrahamic god, I would almost think that 'just is' is the best way to avoid tackling the issue of how God got there. Tells me that perhaps explaining a god's origins defies even belief. Would a story/belief re God's origin make the primary belief(God) more unbelievable?

There's classification error probably transpiring in some popular folk philosophy questions, where "cause" or "provenance" -- or whatever term is applicable -- is treated as more fundamental than the existence concept. (The classic "why is there something rather than nothing?" seems to be among the fruit of the error.)

Presentism also either contributes to such or is the very source of it. What with its temporal view of one global state of all be-ing receiving annihilation as it gets replaced by a slightly altered state of either the cosmos or mega-cosmos in a milliseconds interval. (The discriminations of human awareness speciously becoming the yardstick rather than what would be the actual and even more ephemeral instant of the "quickest" subatomic event [yoctosecond or less]). That spontaneous annihilation and creation cycle repeatedly occurring while consistency is magically maintained throughout the changes over billions of years. (I.e., "the process and its maintained coherence just brutely happens" without another level of mechanism or hidden apparatus to provide the regulation and stability.)

- - -
Syne Offline
(Sep 23, 2017 07:10 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
Quote:How is an eternal god different from an eternal universe some argue to avoid a beginning altogether? Just the veneer of science? 

I have no problem with that since many people tend to think everything (that would include us) came from nothing. I have trouble with coming from nothing fully equipped and omni everything. What wonderful and fantastic process could have occurred for that to happen?
The exact same process Guth (the father of inflationary cosmology) describes as the "ultimate free lunch". If you can get a whole universe from nothing, why not something similarly as grand? Granted, a more nuanced description of god may be more conducive.
(Sep 23, 2017 07:21 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:Thanks for proving my point. You're just as fine with saying the universe "just is" as a theist justifying god.

Yeah..reality just is. What a radical concept. Rolleyes
Of course it is, but the point is that you are just as unconcerned about its origin as Christians are the origin of god.

Don't worry, you're in good company. Lot's of very well-meaning people.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British people more likely to believe in ghosts than a Creator, YouGov survey finds C C 2 762 Mar 29, 2016 07:31 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist