Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why String Theory Still Offers Hope We Can Unify Physics

C C Offline
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-na...all&no-ist

EXCERPT: Evidence that the universe is made of strings has been elusive for 30 years, but the theory's mathematical insights continue to have an alluring pull.

[...] Experimental evidence is the final arbiter of right and wrong, but a theory’s value is also assessed by the depth of influence it has on allied fields. By this measure, string theory is off the charts. Decades of analysis filling thousands of articles have had a dramatic impact on a broad swath of research cutting across physics and mathematics. Take black holes, for example. String theory has resolved a vexing puzzle by identifying the microscopic carriers of their internal disorder, a feature discovered in the 1970s by Stephen Hawking.

Looking back, I’m gratified at how far we’ve come but disappointed that a connection to experiment continues to elude us. While my own research has migrated from highly mathematical forays into extra-dimensional arcana to more applied studies of string theory’s cosmological insights, I [Brian Greene] now hold only modest hope that the theory will confront data during my lifetime.

Even so, string theory’s pull remains strong. Its ability to seamlessly meld general relativity and quantum mechanics remains a primary achievement, but the allure goes deeper still. Within its majestic mathematical structure, a diligent researcher would find all of the best ideas physicists have carefully developed over the past few hundred years. It’s hard to believe such depth of insight is accidental.

I like to think that Einstein would look at string theory’s journey and smile, enjoying the theory’s remarkable geometrical features while feeling kinship with fellow travelers on the long and winding road toward unification. All the same, science is powerfully self-correcting. Should decades drift by without experimental support, I imagine that string theory will be absorbed by other areas of science and mathematics, and slowly shed a unique identity. In the interim, vigorous research and a large dose of patience are surely warranted. If experimental confirmation of string theory is in the offing, future generations will look back on our era as transformative, a time when science had the fortitude to nurture a remarkable and challenging theory, resulting in one of the most profound steps toward understanding reality....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mimicking nature’s mastery of chemistry + Chaos theory & the end of physics C C 0 47 Jan 11, 2024 01:54 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article All TOEs likely wrong + Too soon to dump string theory + "Shakeup" by new symmetry C C 1 98 Apr 24, 2023 08:01 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  ChatGPT answers physics questions like a confused C student + String theory is dead C C 5 202 Feb 25, 2023 06:51 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  String theory is wrecking physics + Attempt to solve quantum problem deepens mystery C C 0 69 Feb 17, 2023 07:36 PM
  How physicists flipped time + String theory: What went wrong? C C 0 53 Jan 29, 2023 03:12 AM
  Quantum field theory explained -- understanding the most successful theory in science C C 1 158 Aug 25, 2022 06:28 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Zero-index metamaterials offers new insights into foundations of quantum mechanics C C 0 64 Apr 28, 2022 05:32 PM
  Physicists take on question of "logic or emotion" and unify sociological theories C C 0 89 Feb 1, 2022 06:41 PM
  In a numerical coincidence, some see evidence for string theory C C 0 76 Jan 22, 2022 06:41 PM
  Why "pilot wave theory" failed + Why BHs aren't made of DM + Wormholes may be viable C C 1 96 Nov 17, 2021 05:37 PM
Last Post: Syne