Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

We fear death, but what if dying isn't as bad as we think?

C C Offline
https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog...s-we-think

EXCERPT: [...] Blog posts from the terminally ill were found to have considerably more positive words and fewer negative ones than those imagining they were dying – and their use of positive language increased as they got close to death. Kurt Gray, one of the study’s researchers, said, “I imagine this is because they know things are getting more serious, and there’s some kind of acceptance and focusing on the positive because they know they don’t have a lot of time left.”

The researchers also compared the last words and poetry of inmates on death row with a group of people tasked with imagining they were about to face execution. Again, there were fewer negative words from the prisoners. Overall, those facing death focused more on what makes life meaningful, including family and religion....

MORE: https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog...s-we-think
Carol Offline
It is unfortunate we don't learn early in life how to focus on the good and the deeper meaning of life. The Greeks were focused on beauty and what is the good life, and some of their thoughts have been preserved. I turned to their mythology many years ago when my life obviously was not going to be the good life I had expected and I learned how to be my own hero. Now it is their philosophers who are getting my attention. I repeat, it is unfortunate if we wait until we are near death to realize the wisdom that has been carried from ancient times. Will competing and consuming result in pleasure? Well yes, but that comes at a price and the price might be not experiencing a more enduring and richer happiness the connects us with all of humanity.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Psychologists were wrong about self control + Fear of being without smartphone C C 1 72 Jan 4, 2024 12:46 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Fear of USA Zinjanthropos 9 218 Dec 29, 2023 02:31 AM
Last Post: confused2
  The science behind your (irrational) fear of Friday the 13th Leigha 11 473 Aug 16, 2021 10:01 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Dreams of the dying Magical Realist 0 114 Jul 15, 2020 07:37 PM
  Food neophobia increases risk of lifestyle diseases? + Basal forebrain & fear of food C C 0 240 Jun 18, 2019 05:47 PM
Last Post: C C
  Trump Culture: Threat, Fear and the Tightening of the American Mind C C 6 1,400 Apr 30, 2016 10:07 PM
Last Post: C C
  Does our terror of dying drive almost everything we do? C C 1 787 May 28, 2015 04:29 AM