Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Making friends, sharing

Williamhdc Offline
Hello everyone
I am a new member of the forum and very fond of cooking, would like to exchange my limited knowledge with everyone in the forum. I would love to be friends with people.
Thank you
Zinjanthropos Offline
Welcome Chef William. For me, as far as my cooking goes, that's why there are restaurants. In extremis I can manage to put something together, nothing fancy I'm afraid. My favorite food to cook is popcorn, sounds marvellous doesn't it? I can boil water and fry an egg. If I can microwave it then even better. Fortunately for me I married a woman who likes cooking. When I offer to help, my wife gives me an emphatic NO. She does trust me to barbecue and that's where I shine. Just this week alone I managed steaks, pork tenderloin, salmon and chicken to perfection, not only for us but for a great many guests we hosted this week. However in front of the kitchen stove I'm practically useless unless you prefer burnt offerings.
C C Offline
A hearty welcome, O Will.
Having found the sub-forum of your pursuit,
Delay not in what you would recruit
With thine culinary skill.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Jul 7, 2017 11:26 PM)Williamhdc Wrote: Hello everyone
I am a new member of the forum and very fond of cooking, would like to exchange my limited knowledge with everyone in the forum. I would love to be friends with people.
Thank you

Hello.  What does hdc stand for?
Carol Offline
Thank you

I will be doing a workshop titled Updating Your Marriage this fall.  I have worked with older people for years and now I am one.  A common problem for older married people is the wife still does all the caregiving and the husband is uncomfortable doing any of the caregiving or house chores because he just hasn't been doing those things.  Perhaps the wife only loses energy, or has more sick days, or perhaps she is the one to get cancer, or Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, or she has a stroke that leaves her disabled.   Then what happens?   A loving husband who is aware of this possibility might suggest to his wife that he needs to learn to be comfortable doing the things that need to be done, or they need to plan on what other family member or paid person will help if that day comes when she can't do it all.   And you do not wash the dishes and go to her to her that you have done the dished and think she should thank you.  I don't know why men think they should be thanked for doing what they assume the wife should do without ever being thanked for the doing.  When he asks for a "thank you" she becomes aware of not being thanked for all she does.

It is also uncomfortable for many wives to accept her husband doing what she "should" do.  I know because I was one.  She needs to learn to get over this and many need some reassurance that in the past the division of labor made sense but now things have changed and the younger generation holds the expectation that sharing the housework goes with sharing life and a home.

To be on the subject, there are some great videos on barbecuing and you might expand to grilling vegetables. A good grill master is very desirable.

Thank you

Do you cook different things in the summer than you cook in the winter?  Right now I am enjoying salads, but in winter I love soups.  I find in cool weather I crave carbs!  It is much easier for me to lose weight in the summer than in the winter.