Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Otto Warmbier's family kept his Jewishness under wraps while NK held him hostage

C C Offline
http://www.timesofisrael.com/otto-warmbi...m-hostage/

EXCERPT: The family of Otto Warmbier, the American college student who died on Monday, days after his release from 17 months of captivity in North Korea, was advised to keep his Jewish background and identity concealed while officials tried to negotiate his release.

That was because the North Korean justification for his imprisonment centered on a dubious claim that Warmbier had stolen a propaganda poster in a Pyongyang hotel lobby on orders from the Friendship United Methodist Church in Wyoming, Ohio, to bring it back “as a trophy” in exchange for a used car worth $10,000.

“We didn’t want to share it,” said Mickey Bergman, who worked on negotiations for Warmbier’s release, referring to the fact of Warmbier’s Jewishness. “The family chose, rightfully so, not to share that information while he was in captivity… because they didn’t want to embarrass [North Korea] by explaining that he actually was Jewish” and thus would not have been affiliated with the church.

“That’s why that part of the story was kept quiet,” added Bergman, executive director of The Richardson Center, an organization founded by former New Mexico governor Bill Richardson that works to negotiate the release of prisoners and hostages held by hostile regimes.

[...] “If that’s what their story is, there’s no point fighting it if your objective is to get him out,” Bergman told The Times of Israel. “When you realize he’s Jewish, you realize how ridiculous that claim is.”

- - -
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 23, 2017 06:28 AM)C C Wrote: http://www.timesofisrael.com/otto-warmbi...m-hostage/

EXCERPT: The family of Otto Warmbier, the American college student who died on Monday, days after his release from 17 months of captivity in North Korea, was advised to keep his Jewish background and identity concealed while officials tried to negotiate his release.

That was because the North Korean justification for his imprisonment centered on a dubious claim that Warmbier had stolen a propaganda poster in a Pyongyang hotel lobby on orders from the Friendship United Methodist Church in Wyoming, Ohio, to bring it back “as a trophy” in exchange for a used car worth $10,000.

“We didn’t want to share it,” said Mickey Bergman, who worked on negotiations for Warmbier’s release, referring to the fact of Warmbier’s Jewishness. “The family chose, rightfully so, not to share that information while he was in captivity… because they didn’t want to embarrass [North Korea] by explaining that he actually was Jewish” and thus would not have been affiliated with the church.

“That’s why that part of the story was kept quiet,” added Bergman, executive director of The Richardson Center, an organization founded by former New Mexico governor Bill Richardson that works to negotiate the release of prisoners and hostages held by hostile regimes.

[...] “If that’s what their story is, there’s no point fighting it if your objective is to get him out,” Bergman told The Times of Israel. “When you realize he’s Jewish, you realize how ridiculous that claim is.”

- - -

DT said in a press anouncement "we can handle it"
i dont see him doing that.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Will somebody again tell me religion isn't a reason to (insert misbehaviour of your choice).

I think NK wasn't advised for other reasons, unfortunately related to above.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 23, 2017 04:40 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Will somebody again tell me religion isn't a reason to (insert misbehaviour of your choice).

I think NK wasn't advised for other reasons, unfortunately related to above.

you know what i don't get. The Hypocrisy of the US system of pretend care.
He would be arrested for driving with out a license, insurance or having 3 beers.
But the US Government allows its citizens to go to NK.

why ?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Jun 23, 2017 05:58 PM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: you know what i don't get. The Hypocrisy of the US system of pretend care.
He would be arrested for driving with out a license, insurance or having 3 beers.

why ?

Their military parades are exceptionally good and all the brass wear cool hats. It's one of the wonders of the world and no American should be denied the opportunity to observe it.  Rolleyes

To not allow would amount to something like displaying an irrational fear. I really don't think the USA is afraid of anybody and people who want to visit unknowingly assume the role of useful idiot in the political arena. I think there is a complete lack of appreciation for useful idiots and their importance in political affairs. 

Personally I hate to call Mr Warmbier an idiot, I'm only using the term politically. I think as a visiting American you take the politics of your country with you first and foremost. You represent every cause, rightly or wrongly, while the gov't really doesn't care what kind of trouble you get into over there. It's enough to just have America shoved in the faces of the NK's.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 23, 2017 06:24 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Jun 23, 2017 05:58 PM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: you know what i don't get. The Hypocrisy of the US system of pretend care.

why ?

Their military parades are exceptionally good and all the brass wear cool hats. It's one of the wonders of the world and no American should be denied the opportunity to observe it.  Rolleyes

To not allow would amount to something like displaying an irrational fear. I really don't think the USA is afraid of anybody and people who want to visit unknowingly assume the role of useful idiot in the political arena. I think there is a complete lack of appreciation for useful idiots and their importance in political affairs. 

Personally I hate to call Mr Warmbier an idiot, I'm only using the term politically. I think as a visiting American you take the politics of your country with you first and foremost. You represent every cause, rightly or wrongly, while the gov't really doesn't care what kind of trouble you get into over there. It's enough to just have America shoved in the faces of the NK's.

NK is making money off US Tourists.
how is spending money as a US citizen in NK any different to sending money to NK(which if i recall is banned) any different ?
Zinjanthropos Offline
You say hypocritical and I'm going to add cynical to the list of adjectives describing a government's attitude. My favorite definition of cynical : concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.

As I said, I don't think they care how you handle yourself as a visitor. The trouble you get into supports their cause. Casually speaking of course.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 23, 2017 07:03 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: You say hypocritical and I'm going to add cynical to the list of adjectives describing a government's attitude. My favorite definition of cynical : concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.

As I said, I don't think they care how you handle yourself as a visitor. The trouble you get into supports their cause. Casually speaking of course.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-cana...nk-airport
Zinjanthropos Offline
Never ceases to amaze me at how hard enemies work to piss each other off even more. I'll never understand that strategy yet it is used over and over again. Eventually you'd think something has to give but it's never a peaceful resolution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Study examines how religious faith bolsters family hope and unity C C 2 134 Oct 25, 2023 05:45 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Praying out loud for Protection against Demonic Forces while having a the 6th sense Ostronomos 24 3,103 Aug 10, 2018 07:49 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Praying Obsessively while aware and in the 6th sense Ostronomos 7 921 May 24, 2018 04:58 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  The deeply held religious convictions that kickstarted capitalism (video) C C 2 517 Dec 4, 2017 04:33 AM
Last Post: Yazata
  Not God's politics + Under watchful eyes C C 0 381 Dec 31, 2015 06:13 PM
Last Post: C C
  Santa Claus: Should we believe in him? C C 0 643 Dec 23, 2014 12:47 AM
Last Post: C C