Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadians Mowing Lawns

Yazata Offline
Nothing can stop Canadians from mowing their lawns! (Ok, maybe hockey and beer, but not little things like this.)

This from Alberta. The photo was taken by this guy's wife, as he seemingly remained oblivious.

The tornado went in a different direction and nobody was hurt.

[Image: 1496671954345.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
[Image: 1496671954345.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

Zinjanthropos Offline
The leaning fence obviously indicates the prevailing wind direction, so no worries. Why a fence when there's bugger all behind the house? He's wearing sunglasses while a tornado rages ? Sunglasses....Blind? He better watch out unless he runs into a tree that looks worse than Charlie Brown's Xmas tree. There are cow pastures better looking than that lawn. Seeing how it's Alberta then there's probably a good chance it's not a tornado, just a Trans Canada Pipeline weak spot. Big Grin
Yazata Offline
More on Canadian lawn mowing:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40155229

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/th...-1.4147352

Apparently although the tornado looks hugely cool, it was weak (only an EF-1). It didn't last long and disappeared quickly (the CBC story has a video). It was further away from the nerves-of-steel lawn mower than the camera makes it appear. He says that he was fully aware of it but knew that it was moving away from him. It sounds like he's had some kind of amateur storm-chaser training and knows about tornados. (You'd think that a storm-chaser would be watching it.)

We rarely have tornados where I live (we have had very-weak EF-0s a couple of times that damaged the roofs of some houses.) We've never had a hurricane. Our native form of disaster here in California is earthquakes.

If I ever saw anything that looked like what's in these photos, I'd shit in my pants.
C C Offline
We were actually in a similar situation with an EF-1, when visiting relatives. The tornado passed by only a quarter mile or less away in the night (uprooting trees along its path). Despite interrupting that whole evening's regular programming with coverage on the widespread storm, the local weather stations didn't even mention that specific tornado on their radar (their weather alert apps didn't ping any surrounding residents, either). So we were completely oblivious to its passage. Some neighbors later reported the typical "train locomotive" sound, but I don't recollect ever hearing such (though there was some slightly unusual quirks to the sound of the wind).
Yazata Offline
Just from the looks of it, I'm wondering whether this guy and his wife intentionally posed this camera shot.

If so, it certainly had its intended effect. Everybody is talking about it.
C C Offline
(Jun 6, 2017 06:30 PM)Yazata Wrote: Just from the looks of it, I'm wondering whether this guy and his wife intentionally posed this camera shot.If so, it certainly had its intended effect. Everybody is talking about it.

Yeah, it was on the local news last night, that his wife took the shot supposedly because she was astonished to find him still mowing the lawn, indifferent to the tornado. The sunglasses seem to be an added prop, but not necessarily. The energy of a hot, sunny day just beforehand is what a severe thunderstorm feeds on.