Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The One-Time Injection That Treats Depression

C C Offline
http://www.spring.org.uk/2017/06/injecti...ession.php

EXCERPT: A single botox injection has been found to substantially improve depressive symptoms, research finds. Botox is typically used to decrease the appearance of wrinkles in the face. But, researchers have found that it can also help to treat the symptoms of depression. [...] The botox injection makes it more difficult for people to frown. So, with less frowning, people feel less depressed — or so the theory goes....
Magical Realist Offline
LOL! What kind of uninformed gradeschool bullshit is that?
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 5, 2017 04:10 AM)C C Wrote: http://www.spring.org.uk/2017/06/injecti...ession.php

EXCERPT: A single botox injection has been found to substantially improve depressive symptoms, research finds. Botox is typically used to decrease the appearance of wrinkles in the face. But, researchers have found that it can also help to treat the symptoms of depression. [...] The botox injection makes it more difficult for people to frown. So, with less frowning, people feel less depressed — or so the theory goes....

chemical depresion Vs behavioural depresion...
Sample data group

questions i should be able to have answered in 1 click

1. who were the sample group(were they botox patients or patients reporting to the doctor with depresion, were they diagnosed with depresion or simply replied to a survey question saying that "felt better" which is then word associated to "depressed" ?

Quote:Depression symptoms were reduced in almost half the people given the injection.

what about stroke symptoms ?
were the symptoms of strokes also reduced ?

how much does it cost a multi-billion dollar industry to do a bit of pro-active symptomatic marketing ?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20...cast-Reach\

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/3555078...on-by-2023

i think that while cosmetic surgery is purely consentual there comes a point where collective medical associations agree on a overall detrimental effect.

should a product be medically validated as a possible cure for suicide ?
should a product be medically validated as a cure for unwanted emotions ?

ethically there are some very big questions involved that doctors train for many many years to manage as best they can.

how would you proceed to discover your child had been getting financially sucked dry in a spinning door botox clinic getting injections for clinical depresion only to never see a psychiatrist & kill themselves & maybe take out a young family of 5 in the same suicidal act ?

science MUST be defined by the end result being able to be scientifically validated by known factors.
Magical Realist Offline
When I'm depressed I don't frown at all. I don't express any emotion. I am numb and apathetic---in a zombie state of dulled and tired indifference to what is happening around me. I don't know how they're measuring depression here. By the amount of frowning one does? That doesn't seem to me very accurate. One also musn't discount the effect of feeling one has a younger looking face. Give someone a makeover and it will probably have the same mood lifting effect.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 5, 2017 06:40 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: When I'm depressed I don't frown at all. I don't express any emotion. I am numb and apathetic---in a zombie state of dulled and tired indifference to what is happening around me. I don't know how they're measuring depression here. By the amount of frowning one does? That doesn't seem to me very accurate. One also musn't  discount the effect of feeling one has a younger looking face. Give someone a makeover and it will probably have the same mood lifting effect.

Good points.
it does remind me of various studys produced about the effect of facial expresions as a cognitive behavioural therapeutic effect, with links to self affirming concepts.

As you may have noticed sometimes those who seek to manifest a process of liniar simplicity of cause and effect can get quite hung up on exterior projective aspects.

The social trend of psudo-scientific (assumptive)psychology of emotional wellbeing is still very ignorant to the modern understandings of mental health/psychiatric health/depresion.

As you say, the process of interim uplifts like self aware therapuitic process to create change to sponsor emotional change is manifest product & supply for a consumer market in the mainstream.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Are body temperature and depression linked? Science says, yes C C 1 38 Feb 7, 2024 06:07 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Ketamine therapy effective treatment for depression (study) Magical Realist 2 111 Sep 6, 2023 07:30 PM
  Article Child depression rates are skyrocketing - but social media isn’t to blame. Here’s why C C 0 68 Jul 7, 2023 06:56 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Chemical imbalance found in people with OCD + New subtype of depression identified C C 0 57 Jun 27, 2023 04:40 PM
  Article Magnetic stimulation depression treatment reverses “backwards” brain signals C C 0 57 May 22, 2023 01:41 PM
  Exercise is even more effective than counselling or medication for depression. C C 1 60 Mar 4, 2023 01:02 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Obesity and the new medication that treats it Magical Realist 6 165 Jan 5, 2023 12:31 AM
  Late Naomi Judd discusses her severe depression Magical Realist 1 86 May 3, 2022 01:31 PM
  Depression, severe dry eye may be connected + Popular drinks double bowel cancer risk C C 1 97 Mar 15, 2022 06:35 PM
  Global spread of autoimmune disease blamed on junk food + The depression paradox C C 1 90 Jan 12, 2022 06:01 PM