Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Two Universal Reasons People Commit Suicide

C C Offline
http://www.spring.org.uk/2017/05/two-rea...uicide.php

EXCERPT: [...] Common beliefs about suicide were not strongly supported by the study. [...] Professor David Klonsky, study co-author, said: “It may be surprising to some, but focusing on motivations is a new approach in the field of suicide research — and urgently needed. Until now, the focus has been largely on the types of people attempting suicide — their demographics, their genetics — without actually exploring the motivations. Ours is the first work to do this in a comprehensive and systematic way.” The conclusions come from a survey of 120 people who had attempted suicide in the previous three years. Hopelessness and emotional pain emerged as the biggest reasons. However, there were a wide array of motivation for suicide attempts....
Syne Offline
Again, another "duh" study from academics who don't seem to get out enough. Hopelessness and emotional pain motivates don't themselves illuminate causes or predispositions...hence demographics, genetics, etc.. You know, real science.
stryder Offline
Humans are not the only animals to commit suicide. If a dog loses the ability to use it's back legs, it can stop eating and drinking even if food and water is available.
Magical Realist Offline
I think about why Robin Williams committed suicide. Depression. Ensuing Parkinson's. Perhaps substance abuse. People live with Parkinson's everyday. Look at Michael J Fox. But with the blinders of depression on, everything looks hopeless. It's hard to judge someone from outside their situation. I don't understand it, but I respect his choice.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Jun 4, 2017 04:33 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: I think about why Robin Williams committed suicide. Depression. Ensuing Parkinson's. Perhaps substance abuse. People live with Parkinson's everyday. Look at Michael J Fox. But with the blinders of depression on, everything looks hopeless. It's hard to judge someone from outside their situation. I don't understand it, but I respect his choice.

i was/am deeply saddened by Robins Suicide.

what i ponder is his sensitivity to other peoples emotional realaties being a driving force behind his creativity.
This focre of awareness & empathy combined to drive a selfless force that may be selfless to a fault.

The Diagnosis would simply be a tipping point.
Generically speaking & deliberately staying somewhat abtuse a common trait of genius is to be not of the group.

moving forward the question should be how can we the learned deliver/respite them from the Real & perceptual vampires of lust & greed ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 reasons species extinction matters to business (market data) C C 0 220 Aug 30, 2019 03:20 AM
Last Post: C C
  Rein in the four horsemen of irreproducibility + Netflix show spikes suicide rate? C C 0 319 Apr 30, 2019 01:47 AM
  England's knife crime rise + LGBT asylum claims rejected (UK) + Universal credit woes C C 0 345 Nov 30, 2018 06:52 AM
  Glass ceiling: Three reasons why it still exists & is hurting the economy C C 1 404 Aug 23, 2018 05:36 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Is religion a universal in human culture or an academic invention? (data organizing) C C 0 241 Aug 15, 2018 06:40 PM
  Top 43 reasons why men remain single -- according to Reddit C C 0 382 Aug 8, 2018 03:48 PM
  Universal resilience patterns in complex networks C C 0 503 Feb 24, 2016 08:29 PM
  6 Reasons Why Apple is Cooked C C 0 745 Mar 23, 2015 06:05 AM