Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is Space Moving?

Zinjanthropos Offline
Just casually speaking....Every now and then a thought from nowhere pops into my head. This time, despite dwelling mainly on personal health issues the last few weeks, I managed to come up with a real beauty. It had to do with space, you know..... 'out there'. 

I was wondering if space is actually moving. The standard is that space is pretty much an immobile stationary thing,  aside from being warped or distorted by bodies with rest mass or expanding. That is if it's even something. Don't know what made me think this except that for some reason I remembered reading about space expanding faster than c. So I guess my brain got back to me by thinking if expansion is faster than c then why can't space in its entirety be moving at that faster rate. 

I don't really know what has the potential to be the slowest moving thing in the universe is as far as particles go, perhaps a very massive object. Whereas a massless particle like the photon moves at c. So that got me thinking about all things in the universe and their abilities to achieve a maximum allowable velocity. Since space is one thing then I thought, why can't it be moving?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(May 16, 2017 08:56 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: Spacetime Not Static --"It's Constantly Moving, Similar to Waves in the Ocean"

I don’t know but there’s a new paper out.  Did you see it, Zinman?   Do you have psychic abilities or is this just another one of you little coinkydinks.  Wink

Purely co-inky-dental. I wasn't thinking fluctuations, more like a raging river of I don't know what. Wondering why time slows down when mass approaches c made me think that if space is expanding faster than c then it must be going back in time, but does that even make sense? 

I figure that in this universe, every major component has a speed limitation. Sound and light have barriers, likewise particles but what about everything else? Even time for that matter, supposedly entwined with space but if one moves faster than the other then what? Perhaps space cannot move faster than time or vice versa. All my imagination moving faster than perceived reality, that's why it's junk....lol
RainbowUnicorn Offline
Is Space Moving?

yes
it is under constant expansion
soo relative shifts planetary(orbital), solar system(orbital and variable directions in orbits around the universe), universe(various different directions, some colliding with others and various other combinations), space its self that everythign sits in is also moving, generaly speaking under the motion of expansion.

p.s Zin, hoping everything with you is going as best as it possibly can.
Zinjanthropos Offline
I believe what sparked the thought was the morning I laid awake staring at the ceiling fan going round and round above me. Usually I don't pay much attention to the fan but curious me couldn't remember how many blades were on the appliance. So i figured I'd blink my eyes rapidly like strobes to see if I could count them. Wouldn't you know it, with the speed it was set at my blinking could make the blades appear still and I counted four. 

So I got to thinking that if I could make the rotating blades seem still then is something similar happening to time when c is approached? IOW's could time have a pulse, a frequency that when an object is moving at light speed, it appears that time stands still? So part of my thinking had me ranking things in the order of maximum allowable speeds. At the time I had sound slower than light, then time moving quicker than light and space somewhere in between the two. I figured if space moved faster than time than there must be regions of space where there's no time, and that didn't sit right, but wouldn't it be cool if that was true? As far as objects go, those with rest mass cannot reach the speed of a massless particle. Not sure about energy, gravity, forces and whatever.  

No matter how this sounds I still enjoy thinking about this kind of stuff and it helps confirm my suspicion that the universe isn't really how it appears. There's a lot more to this sucker than we realize. There's also something to looking a little further beyond conventional thinking even if absurd. Just never know if someone else has the light bulb go off only because he/she read your blather.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astrology’s biggest 2023 claim debunked: Saturn isn’t moving into Pisces. C C 0 66 Mar 8, 2023 07:42 PM
Last Post: C C