Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can Someone Prove God Doesn't like This?

Zinjanthropos Offline
Some statements made in this news article either suggest or state as fact that God would not want this....

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-i...-1.4088556

Excerpt: 
Quote:The blog Archbishop Cranmer, which is run by conservative theologian Adrian Hilton, wrote of the event: "This is church, for God's sake. Really, for His sake, can the Church of England not offer something clean and undefiled in the worship of God?"

How did asparagus become unclean and defiled in the eyes of God? or How do church leaders know this to be true?
C C Offline
A "god" is the prosopopoeia of a written or verbally passed-down system (or the personification a general concept, as in the case of many Greek deities).[*] Any "proofs" thereby would still rest upon consistency with the religion's standards.

In mathematics, a new theorem is proven by demonstrating its coherence with the applicable system or that it can be deductively derived from the latter's axioms / pre-established statements (certify that the proposition is a consequence of them).

(1) Thus to be accepted as something more than just an arbitrary add-on, an Asparagus Man (of that British Festival) would need to be validated as either compatible with the religious canon's accepted ideas / tenets; or substantiated as falling out of them.

(2) To be officially disapproved -- rather than merely arbitrarily rejected, an Asparagus Man would need to be demonstrated as incompatible with the religious canon's accepted ideas / tenets. The latter would still seem to exclude Asparagus Man even if it was possible for a perverse product to emerge from later stages of a school of belief's developing statements. (Akin to smut being an undesirable novelty arising in corn crops, or at least when the fungus is not deemed a delicacy as in Mexico).

As a precedent: Halloween also lacks direct Biblical footing (even Christmas for that matter), and yet has apparently been approved by the Church of England (but probably not all Anglican institutions worldwide). Which still does not mean or negate the possibility of Halloween having indirect compatibility with Biblical or church doctrine.

But should there be no appealing to or an analysis of Anglican canon transpiring here at all in either the case of Asparagus Man or the other (October holiday), then for the time being their acceptance / rejection by whatever applicable parties can be judged as arbitrary.

- - - - - - -

[*] Immanuel Kant: Reason inevitably creates objects for itself. Hence everything that thinks has a God. [Or some equivalent sacred, synoptic symbol representing certain formal expositions.]

[...] In moral-practical reason, there is contained the principle of the knowledge of my duties as commands, that is, not according to the rule which makes the subject into an [object], but that which emerges from freedom and which [the subject] prescribes to itself, and yet as if another higher person had made it a rule for him. The subject feels himself necessitated through his own reason (not analytically, according to the principle of identity, but synthetically, as a transition from metaphysics to transcendental philosophy) to obey these duties. What God may be can be developed from concepts, by means of metaphysics; but that there is [literally] a God belongs to transcendental philosophy and can only be proved hypothetically. --Opus Postumum

elte Offline
(May 3, 2017 02:47 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Some statements made in this news article either suggest or state as fact that God would not want this....

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-i...-1.4088556

Excerpt: 
Quote:The blog Archbishop Cranmer, which is run by conservative theologian Adrian Hilton, wrote of the event: "This is church, for God's sake. Really, for His sake, can the Church of England not offer something clean and undefiled in the worship of God?"

How did asparagus become unclean and defiled in the eyes of God? or How do church leaders know this to be true?

There seems to be a phallic association.  I hope asparagus retains its increased availability in the nearby market to me regardless of that view held by some.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:There seems to be a phallic association.

That's one angle which never occurred to me  Smile . With the track record of clergy over the years, this is not entirley out of the realm of possibility. The fall of asparagus to the level of unclean organisms is a perfect example of how myths are established. Answer: It's us and the trust we have in the guardians of the belief. I wonder what the pig or someone dressed as a pig did centuries ago to earn the same distinction. 

What it comes down to but some don't seem to realize is that all decisions re God are in themselves beliefs. Nothing proven, just pure conjecture. The metamorphosis to fact is akin to instantaneous. No questioning from followers, just blind acceptance.  Wink
elte Offline
(May 3, 2017 01:42 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
Quote:There seems to be a phallic association.

That's one angle which never occurred to me  Smile . With the track record of clergy over the years, this is not entirley out of the realm of possibility. The fall of asparagus to the level of unclean organisms is a perfect example of how myths are established. Answer: It's us and the trust we have in the guardians of the belief. I wonder what the pig or someone dressed as a pig did centuries ago to earn the same distinction. 

What it comes down to but some don't seem to realize is that all decisions re God are in themselves beliefs. Nothing proven, just pure conjecture. The metamorphosis to fact is akin to instantaneous. No questioning from followers, just blind acceptance.  Wink

With pigs it could have something to do with how they wallow in the mud.  They don't have sweat glands for keeping cool.

Personality type might have a correlation to tendency toward blind acceptance, for example optimistic in contrast to pessimistic.
Zinjanthropos Offline
I would think a religion declaring/convincing followers that asparagus is unclean is a sample of its power. Other than encouraging atheism or conversion, avenues not really pursued, what is there that a religion cannot convince a follower to believe? Murder, suicide, war and the list goes on....people are swayed by religious belief. For me personally, it is sad commentary despite whatever good, religion is credited for.
Carol Offline
Asparagus is one of the least contaminated foods. When making healthy food choices, one might like to know which foods are highly pesticide contaminated and which ones are not.

http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

12 Most Contaminated
Peaches
Apples
Sweet Bell Peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Pears
Grapes (Imported)
Spinach
Lettuce
Potatoes

12 Least Contaminated
Onions
Avocado
Sweet Corn (Frozen)
Pineapples
Mango
Asparagus
Sweet Peas (Frozen)
Kiwi Fruit
Bananas
Cabbage
Broccoli
Papaya
C C Offline
From what I read, the controversy revolves around the costumed Asparagus Man participating in church rituals rather than asparagus itself being disparaged. Or the Asparagus Man, as well as the act of blessing of "a large bunch" of the literal vegetable, being symbolic of this extraneous British Asparagus Festival invading the sanctity of the religious proceedings. There's a priggish faction which disdains detours of "fun" disrupting the usual function of the institution.

First, the title itself emphasizes the Asparagus Man. Second, "he" is the primary target of the irritation in this sentence: "Some people seem to be offended by the sight of the asparagus and the big green man and I think they thought he didn't actually belong there for some reason." Third, the "dumb show" spectacle of the festival's mascot and accompanying gestures is what is stressed in: "Andrea Minichiello Williams, chief executive of the group Christian Concern, told the Daily Telegraph: 'This is an absurd pantomime-type scene that makes a mockery of Christian worship'."

But again, if the Anglican establishment has precedents like embracing Halloween, then the introduction of a human dressed like an asparagus doesn't seem so out of step with recent trends. Wink
Zinjanthropos Offline
Quote:"Andrea Minichiello Williams, chief executive of the group Christian Concern: 'This is an absurd pantomime-type scene that makes a mockery of Christian worship'." 

Andrea....can I ask a Christian faith healer their opinion? How's Peter Popoff? Why do JW parents let their kids bleed to death? Next Easter, can I carry the cross and self flagellate myself along the way? Can a gay couple get a marriage licence in Kentucky?
stryder Offline
It's a little blown out of proportion.

The Church in the UK only has a small number of holidays were people make an effort, St Georges Day happens to be one of them (It's usually one which has the Air/Army/Navy Cadets, Scouts/Guides march in precession). The only other one that kind of gets that treatment is Memorial Day.

The thing is I can't understand why they would knock someone for dressing as Asparagus. It's known that most of the Scouts tend to loath parades (and being bored on hard wooden church pews while some vicar waffles on) So if anything they should of been rejoicing for the turnout.

As for unclean, Part of the religious ceremony at certain times of year (Lent?) is eating un-leven biscuits that are suppose to represents Christs flesh and the vicar's homemade wine represents blood. They moan at the pagans, but the whole ceremony is literally emulating Cannibalism. I'd rather eat Asparagus ( the real stuff, not the guy)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does modern cosmology prove the existence of God? C C 2 76 Nov 4, 2021 07:51 PM
Last Post: Syne
  God's emotional wealth is contingent, but the cost of our destruction to God is nil Ostronomos 1 385 Jun 4, 2018 07:00 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  Does it Sometimes Seem that God Doesn't Care? Science Knows Why. Yazata 1 417 Mar 15, 2018 04:06 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Easier to Prove an Evil God? Zinjanthropos 24 2,863 Nov 9, 2017 08:37 PM
Last Post: C C
  God is dead, long live God C C 1 740 Nov 5, 2014 09:40 PM
Last Post: Yazata