Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

March for Science

stryder Offline
https://www.marchforscience.com/mission/

Something I've apparently been missing while away is the recent March for Science movement that's popped up apparently in response to the "dumb" movements by governments and public alike.  While the ideology is something that can be supported, I'd still have qualms about the flash mob mentality, perhaps I'm just old fashioned.
C C Offline
Quote:"We unite as a diverse, nonpartisan group to call for science that upholds..."

Not 100% ludicrous in the US, I guess. A Republican like Ted Cruz, for instance, passed the "science issues" evaluation on endorsement of biotech crops, nuclear waste disposal, and vaccinations. Fail or worrisome on potentially much of the rest that the MFS would probably hold sacred.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Apr 23, 2017 10:26 PM)stryder Wrote: https://www.marchforscience.com/mission/

Something I've apparently been missing while away is the recent March for Science movement that's popped up apparently in response to the "dumb" movements by governments and public alike.  While the ideology is something that can be supported, I'd still have qualms about the flash mob mentality, perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

Quick to respond Vs quick to React (e.g)
Advancing technology used through business has pushed the 20yo age group to respond quickly to intellectual positions.
is that response a reaction Vs just a response ?
is it "considered" ?

to unpack part of that i guess we need to look at base morals & base intellectual ability.
ergo is the average 15yo more intellectually emotionally and socially advanced than a 15yo was 20 years ago ?
Note there is a need to use modes as means mean nothing when we have drivers like bill gates etc...(though i can hear the question.. "any genius will do, my technology for a genius" does evolution choose the closest mind for th ebiggest leap or does the individual push the civilisations evolution ?)
Bug  Carol Offline

Old fashioned?  You can't be that old.  The 1960's was a time of burning bras and protesting the war and Black power and even senior activism getting us the Older Americans Act.   I joined other grandparents in the 1970's to get the Children's Protective Services to work with grandparents, and the policy for the bureaucracy was rewritten.  I protested with homeless folks for services and that made a big difference in our community.  Public protesting can be effective.

However, I checked out a planned march for science in my community and it was taken over by people wanting to focus on gay rights, so I did not get involved.  That distracts too much from the science and environment, verses immediate economic results issues.   I was really bummed.   Sad
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Apr 24, 2017 07:15 PM)Carol Wrote:

Old fashioned?  You can't be that old.  The 1960's was a time of burning bras and protesting the war and Black power and even senior activism getting us the Older Americans Act.   I joined other grandparents in the 1970's to get the Children's Protective Services to work with grandparents, and the policy for the bureaucracy was rewritten.  I protested with homeless folks for services and that made a big difference in our community.  Public protesting can be effective.

However, I checked out a planned march for science in my community and it was taken over by people wanting to focus on gay rights, so I did not get involved.  That distracts too much from the science and environment, verses immediate economic results issues.   I was really bummed.   Sad

Quote:Carol
... it was taken over by people wanting to focus on gay rights,
i should imagine your area lacks mainstream morality.
and/or the group in question is manipulated for gas-lighting purposes for certain social & political issues.

the hi-jacking of a liberal moral for manipulation to gay rights is something i have not seen outside of recently outed(recently outed = *recently come out of living in the closet) 18 year old teenagers.

* Recently come out of living in the closet.
when gay people have been forced to pretend to be straight & then get to ive as themselves they go through various normative processess.
Generically they are sexual liberation & legal liberation.
often in the past because of extremely poor social support gay out people have few if none mature adult companions whom share a similar liberal normality.
this in turn results in a strong sense of co-dependancy on the activist group who may be prone to topic cross polination into validation of gay rights over and above generic issues.
it is very common among early gay rights activist groups which have lmited networks of support.
C C Offline
Welcome back, Carol.
Carol Offline
(Apr 24, 2017 07:43 PM)RainbowUnicorn. Wrote: [quote pid='11159' dateline='1493057718']
Carol... it was taken over by people wanting to focus on gay rights,
i should imagine your area lacks mainstream morality.
and/or the group in question is manipulated for gas-lighting purposes for certain social & political issues.

the hi-jacking of a liberal moral for manipulation to gay rights is something i have not seen outside of recently outed(recently outed = *recently come out of living in the closet) 18 year old teenagers.

* Recently come out of living in the closet.
when gay people have been forced to pretend to be straight & then get to ive as themselves they go through various normative processess.
Generically they are sexual liberation & legal liberation.
often in the past because of extremely poor social support gay out people have few if none mature adult companions whom share a similar liberal normality.
this in turn results in a strong sense of co-dependancy on the activist group who may be prone to topic cross polination into validation of gay rights over and above generic issues.
it is very common among early gay rights activist groups which have lmited networks of support.
[/quote]

That sounds like an excellent explanation, but I have lost opportunities because of these folks and of course that leaves with a negative feeling about "them".   Eugene, Oregon is very liberal and that has created the opportunity for very aggressive and angry middle aged women to dominate organizations.  I will leave it at that and saying I don't think it is right for them to take over as they have taken over.  I wanted to join a march for science, not a march for homosexuals.  I also passed on the vagina march that was very popular!  

However, Trump's anti-government regulations that means less protection for people and the environment, is something we should oppose.  The cost to future generations is huge!

I can understand our motivation to march, but was surprised to learn the marches were international.  This is exciting because our concern for resolving problems with science has been misperceived as evil intent.   Rumors spread that our efforts to immunize people is really harmful to people.   Look at what we are up against.

[/url]
Quote:More Malaysian parents rejecting children's immunisation over pig ...
www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/more-malaysian-parents/2233628.htm  

[*]

[size=undefined]
Nov 2, 2015 - ... help allay the fears in their own backyard, and among the global Muslim community. ... But among Muslim parents, there is also a belief that vaccines ... vaccines in its immunisation programmes contain any traces of pork.
[/size]

[url=https://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/the-pakistani-talibans-campaign-against-polio-vaccination]The Pakistani Taliban's Campaign Against Polio Vaccination ...
https://www.ctc.usma.edu/.../the-pakista...vaccinatio.

[size=undefined]
Aug 27, 2014 - Intermittent attacks targeting polio vaccination programs continued, and the ... The TTP's affiliates such as Jundullah and Lashkar-i-Islam also claimed credit .... have left the immunization campaign due to fear of the Taliban.
[/size]

Polio's return due to vaccine fears in Nigeria - Health - Infectious ...
www.nbcnews.com/id/15005238/ns/.../t/rumors-cause-resistance-vaccines-nigeria/

[size=undefined]
Sep 25, 2006 - For Ramatu Garba, the polio vaccine is part of an evil conspiracy hatched in the ... "Allah used Muslim scientists to expose the Western plot of using polio vaccines ... asks the government to end the polio eradication program.
[/size]
confused2 Offline
Carol Wrote:The cost to future generations is huge!
My take on the current American Dream is that everyone is going to get richer and will be able to handle the huge cost. Or more realistically the people that matter will be able to handle the huge cost. The science, right or wrong, doesn't matter because wealth will provide a solution. Poverty will provide an entirely different solution but does the American Dream stem from aspirations in the direction of poverty?
Syne Offline
All these recent marches...for women, science, etc....are just smokescreen for anti-Trump protest, so any credible goals are undermined by partisan propaganda.

Transparent and boring.
Carol Offline
(Apr 27, 2017 03:10 PM)confused2 Wrote:
Carol Wrote:The cost to future generations is huge!
My take on the current American Dream is that everyone is going to get richer and will be able to handle the huge cost. Or more realistically the people that matter will be able to handle the huge cost. The science, right or wrong, doesn't matter because wealth will provide a solution. Poverty will provide an entirely different solution but does the American Dream stem from aspirations in the direction of poverty?

The foundation of the American Dream was built of virtues and that was part of our education until we replaced liberal education with education for technology.  Now we are smart but perhaps not so wise?