Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Apr/2017 Outtage

stryder Offline
Firstly I would like to apologise that I didn't fix the bug too quickly, this was due to a mixture of the working out how to fix the bug and because I've been a little busy traveling.  The outtage occurred a day or two before I was suppose to travel and now I've only just got to the point where I can start to sort out the problem.

The problem itself wasn't caused by the software update, it was actually caused by my decision to set up an SSL Cert for a completely different website.  (To cut it short there was a problem with setting up more than one cert on the package that's currently used)   So I decided rather than that being a problem again, Scivillage has now been transferred to it's own package (Which I should have really done to begin with).

The SSL bug then caused it to to have an invalidated certificate that the HSTS settings wasn't allowing an update from (it cached the time period for maintaining a record for 6 months)  Luckily I found a way of being able to zero the cache.

The site is currently offline from Cloudflare, however I will start re-connecting it back to how it was.  So please bear with me.
Yazata Offline
Thank you for bringing it back up. Believe me, your labors are appreciated.

I found that I really missed Scivillage while it was down. I like this place and the people who post here.

Your Twitter updates helped and I emailed MR and CC to find out what they knew.
stryder Offline
Further update:
I tried resetting the Cloudflare settings, they seem to have completely nerfed. So I'm pulling Cloudflare from the site for the time being. This might mean the site runs a little slower, however it's better than not running at all.

I can always look to integrating better cacheing/cloud support in a future version of the site. Currently there is too much bug squishing to fix the actual problem that causes the site to be inaccessible.
Magical Realist Online
Back in business again! Tks Stryder! I really enjoy this site for it's relaxed casual feel and not overmoderated status. Sci Forums has lapsed into a lifeless troll land. It's doesn't surprise me with the way mods act over there.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Nice job Stryde! No idea what you're talking about tech-talk wise. Many moons ago I learned BASIC and I still use a lot of if/thens in normal parlance. However that's where I stopped my computing education. I'm like most people now....I just expect things to work. Big Grin
Syne Offline
While I don't use Twitter, a quick Google search led me to your explanation of why the forum was down. No worries.
confused2 Offline
I'm pleased to see the site is back. I've had my own problems with computers - database server died followed by my 'personal' computer along with all the passwords and things that ought to be backed up and stored in safe place. New password now. The 386 is dead - long live the arm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Software Update [OCT/2017] stryder 31 3,115 Dec 13, 2017 03:19 AM
Last Post: stryder
  Software Update [DEC/2017] stryder 0 472 Dec 1, 2017 04:36 PM
Last Post: stryder
Exclamation Software Update [APR/2017] stryder 2 650 Apr 8, 2017 03:14 PM
Last Post: elte