Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Defeat negative thoughts / feelings + What to do when life sucks + Happiness at work

C C Offline
7 Ways Mindfulness Will Vanquish Negative Thoughts and Feelings

EXCERPT: It’s a problem we all face from time to time, some more than others. That little voice in your head, the critic that predicts disaster. Or the one who likes to belittle everything you want to attempt, even downplaying your accomplishments. For some of us it might be predictions of disaster. For others it could be self-criticism of the harshest sort. There are those of us facing this all the time, and there are others who only deal with it when attempting to tackle something new or seemingly insurmountable.

For me it used to be a frequent occurrence, and by no means have I exorcised that little voice entirely. As a severely disabled wheelchair user, my thoughts often involve self-criticism that could easily limit my true potential. nI have often felt like I am not good enough. I’ve told myself that other people are not interested in knowing me. That they have already made their decision about me. I’m actually imposing a negative self image on other people, when I do this I am assuming they see me the same way I see myself in that dark moment. I don’t have to take any chances on finding out what they really think of me.
How Meditation Makes the Difference

Mindfulness is about training yourself to watch and, to some extent, regulate your thoughts. It is about learning to pay attention to, or ignore, where your wandering mind settles.

You could say that I’ve had three mindfulness meditation mentors over the years, when I wasn’t teaching myself. Two of them were highly trained Buddhists in the Tibetan tradition, but the third was a counselor I was seeing after my daughter died. Over the years, mindfulness has helped me with dealing with grief, anxiety, and other less severe issues having to do with negative self talk.

Mindfulness is effective because it is a practice of observing and learning about our own minds through meditation or passive observation. This gives us space and allows us to be less reactive. Among other things, mindfulness teaches you to...

MORE: http://www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/blog/7-...-feelings/

10 Things You Can Do When You Think Life Sucks

EXCERPT: Life is not always great or an exciting journey. At times it may not even feel OK. When you’ve had several setbacks in a row, bad luck or things aren’t going your way – even though you do your best – then it may feel like life simply and honestly sucks. I think most of us have had days and likely longer periods like weeks or months when we’ve thought about life like this and felt pretty glum and like there’s a personal little rain cloud over your head. What can you do when that happens? In this article I’d like to share 10 things that have helped me when I’ve been in that situation. I hope you find something here that’ll help you out....

MORE: http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/...ife-sucks/

The Two Things That Make You Happy At Work

EXCERPT: I was working with another Life Coach last week when she suddenly said to me, ‘It’s hard working for yourself, you know’ I laughed and said, ‘Yeh of course it is, life is chock full of hard. That’s what life is all about.’

Do you know what the two things are that in survey after survey deliver the most satisfaction for people in the workplace?

In first place it’s almost always doing meaningful work. In other words, believing what we do has an intrinsic value in and of itself to ourselves and/or others. Usually a close runner-up, is feeling like we are appreciated, not just by the people who pay our wages, but also by our peers and even the people we serve if we are customer facing....

MORE: http://www.adaringadventure.com/happy-at-work/
Magical Realist Online
“It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want—oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!”
― Mark Twain
Syne Offline
Most people seem to have no idea that the one thing you have the most control over is your mood, if you only decide to exercise that control. But in a culture that tells us only medication or circumstance can alter your mood, sadly, many have bought into it.
Carol Offline
(Mar 12, 2017 09:39 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: “It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want—oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!”
― Mark Twain

Thank goodness I don't get Spring fever like I used to.   My old car might not make it back home if I did the traveling I used to do.  I remember the Spring fever burning so badly I would pack the kids in the car and go visit my mother who tended to move every few years and always lived in another state.  This gave me wonderful opportunities to show my children the whole world was not like the small town we lived in.   Now I have a hint of Spring fever but it is expressed as a desire to do creative volunteer work.  I hadn't thought of this drive as Spring fever until just now.  I was only aware that there are so many things I want to do, and I just don't have enough time and energy to do them all.  

My great grandson and a granddaughter about his age, were getting all my attention and energy, but the granddaughter has moved away with her parents and my great grandson has grown up.  He will be 10 this July and that isn't very old, but he no longer is happy with whatever I give him to do.  We used to have so much fun, and now he doesn't want to do anything with me.  That makes me sad, but now I have the freedom to explore my abilities as a workshop facilitator.  I am designing one for older couples that I am really excited about.   I think I am pretty lucky, because I can almost always find something I really want to do.  I figure even if went to hell, I would immediately get busy trying to make it a better place.  But I can remember some black years when I wandered lost in Hades searching for meaning and with no idea of how to make anything better.  I love the science and techniques that are available to us today and help us find our way out of Hades.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Mar 13, 2017 07:28 PM)Syne Wrote: Most people seem to have no idea that the one thing you have the most control over is your mood, if you only decide to exercise that control. But in a culture that tells us only medication or circumstance can alter your mood, sadly, many have bought into it.

i agree mostly.
chemical depression along with repeated or developmental behavioural pathology not withstanding...

when you reduce human morality to a capitalistic money 1st life & death struggle then you sponsor any form of attempt to exercise control & monetary gain.

e.g if everyone is emotionally accountable then it makes those who deny qualities of life to others morally accountable to being heartless.
and good luck with that in a purely capitalist morality society.

(Jun 20, 2017 05:16 AM)Carol Wrote:
(Mar 12, 2017 09:39 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: “It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want—oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!”
― Mark Twain

Thank goodness I don't get Spring fever like I used to.   My old car might not make it back home if I did the traveling I used to do.  I remember the Spring fever burning so badly I would pack the kids in the car and go visit my mother who tended to move every few years and always lived in another state.  This gave me wonderful opportunities to show my children the whole world was not like the small town we lived in.   Now I have a hint of Spring fever but it is expressed as a desire to do creative volunteer work.  I hadn't thought of this drive as Spring fever until just now.  I was only aware that there are so many things I want to do, and I just don't have enough time and energy to do them all.  

My great grandson and a granddaughter about his age, were getting all my attention and energy, but the granddaughter has moved away with her parents and my great grandson has grown up.  He will be 10 this July and that isn't very old, but he no longer is happy with whatever I give him to do.  We used to have so much fun, and now he doesn't want to do anything with me.  That makes me sad, but now I have the freedom to explore my abilities as a workshop facilitator.  I am designing one for older couples that I am really excited about.   I think I am pretty lucky, because I can almost always find something I really want to do.  I figure even if went to hell, I would immediately get busy trying to make it a better place.  But I can remember some black years when I wandered lost in Hades searching for meaning and with no idea of how to make anything better.  I love the science and techniques that are available to us today and help us find our way out of Hades.

Quote:We used to have so much fun, and now he doesn't want to do anything with me.  That makes me sad,

The difference is back then it was all about you.
now it is all about him.
you CAN make the transition mentally if you wish to. however... what benefits you both equally is a whole different question.
the drive of a 10 yo to be part of new interesting & young things of self determination has many hundreds of thousands of years head start on you Smile
Syne Offline
(Jun 20, 2017 01:55 PM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote:
(Mar 13, 2017 07:28 PM)Syne Wrote: Most people seem to have no idea that the one thing you have the most control over is your mood, if you only decide to exercise that control. But in a culture that tells us only medication or circumstance can alter your mood, sadly, many have bought into it.

i agree mostly.
chemical depression along with repeated or developmental behavioural pathology not withstanding...

when you reduce human morality to a capitalistic money 1st life & death struggle then you sponsor any form of attempt to exercise control & monetary gain.

e.g if everyone is emotionally accountable then it makes those who deny qualities of life to others morally accountable to being heartless.
and good luck with that in a purely capitalist morality society.

You seem to miss the "everyone is emotionally accountable to themselves" part. No one can deny qualities of life to you without some degree of your acceptance/complicity. It is the "they are morally accountable" and "capitalist society" blame game that gives people the ready-made excuses to not take responsibility for their own emotional states. Not to mention the "diagnoses" designed to placate the same people.
Magical Realist Online
Quote:No one can deny qualities of life to you without some degree of your acceptance/complicity.

Seriously? Noone denies quality of life to people because of the color of their skin, or their accent, or their body weight, or their ethnicity, or their gender, or their sexual preference, or a handicap, or their age? You really think there is no discrimination going on in the corporate world where one day you can be positioned for a promotion and the next day terminated because of some made up excuse? You are really naive.
Syne Offline
quality of life
the standard of health, comfort, and happiness experienced by an individual or group.

1. Health is largely a matter of diet and exercise, and barring forceful government coercion (i.e. infringing on the rights of others), we must rely on a voluntary exchange for anything beyond that.
2. Comfort is our own responsibility. You'd be insane to expect others to provide for your own comfort, beyond a mutually voluntary exchange.
3. Happiness is 100% individual responsibility. Again, expecting others to provide for your happiness is insane.

So what's your special definition that you think applies to the groups you mention? O_o
Do you really not know what at-will employment is? O_o
Do you not know that some jobs require things like physicals, spoken communication skills, dealing with the public, etc.? O_o
Magical Realist Online
You seriously think not being hired for a lucrative job doesn't affect one's quality of life? Or being denied apt rental? Or being fired for any of the reasons given above? Or being bullied in school or the target of a hatecrime? You're a moron.
Syne Offline
Where's some significant statistics? Oh wait, why am I asking the guy who doesn't understand the difference between empirical and anecdotal evidence?

Still don't know what at-will employment is, huh? LOL!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mood vs thoughts: A Buddhist perspective Magical Realist 0 63 Jun 5, 2023 07:30 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article Lonely people’s divergent thoughts may contribute to feeling "alone in crowded room" C C 1 88 Apr 11, 2023 10:35 PM
  Intrusive thoughts are normal Magical Realist 7 209 Apr 5, 2023 12:54 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Mindfulness meditation can reduce guilt, leading to unintended negative social con... C C 0 53 Mar 7, 2022 06:05 AM
Last Post: C C
  Coffee intake linked to lower prostrate cancer risk + Time to stop pursuing happiness C C 0 157 Jan 12, 2021 05:36 AM
  Money buys even more happiness than it used to C C 1 171 Jul 15, 2020 08:26 PM
  Stop Chasing Happiness, Look for Meaning Instead C C 9 956 May 13, 2018 06:43 PM
  Feelings Carol 22 3,026 Jul 7, 2017 05:56 PM
Last Post: Carol