Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Paranormal encounters in Afghanistan War

Magical Realist Offline
"There can be no doubt that terrifying things can happen in times of war. However, in most cases it can at least be counted on that the enemy one faces is a living human being. What happens when other, more supernatural forces creep into war zones? What are soldiers to do when faced with mysterious phantoms, ghosts, apparitions and entities against which they have no experience and which they have not been trained to fight? War zones have attracted tales of hauntings and supernatural phenomena since time unremembered, and certainly one of the more modern such places of paranormal terror is the desolate battlefields of the war in Afghanistan. This is a place that is not only plagued by fighting and violence, but also apparently strange forces that have shown some soldiers here that human enemies are not always the only thing to be scared of in these bleak, violent wastelands....

As they scrambled over loose rock and through scrub and brush the witness claims that he suddenly noticed on a parallel hillside the very clear sight of a man dressed in light colored robes, which seemed to be slowly making his way towards their position. Bizarrely, it seemed that that the stranger was just passing through any obstacles he came across as he moved slowly but inexorably closer. The witness would describe the rest of the surreal encounter thus:

'He seemed to melt over and around the rocks, it was fucking unnatural the way he was moving. Through the NODS, his eyes glowed. I scoped up on him, and saw that he was looking directly at me. It was pitch black, there is no way he could have saw us from that distance without any kind of night optics. Suddenly, he stopped. He picked up one of his limbs and held it in the air, almost like he was waving at me. Then the arm melted back into his form, like it wasn’t an arm at all, but some kind of extendable proboscis that was meant to look like an arm from a distance. I was about to ask the guy’s if they could see him, when he suddenly disappeared..'."===http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/02/bi...ghanistan/
Zinjanthropos Offline
Don't find it unusual for people enduring combat stress/fatigue to envision what's considered paranormal. In fact I think it quite normal.
Magical Realist Offline
"Another witness who reported strange, ghostly figures in the desert claimed that his unit was plagued by a mysterious phantom that would appear around the outskirts of their camp and vanish in the blink of an eye. The first time it appeared was a little after dusk, a couple hundred yards from their position. One of the men, described as a “random PVT,” told the others that there was a person out in the wilderness just standing there. The witness looked and at first couldn’t see anything but after a moment could make out a dark blob in the vague shape of a person. The Sergeant apparently was called over and saw it too. When asked where the figure had come from, the private explained that it had “just popped up.” Whoever was out there there was just standing motionless with its back to them. The witness described the eerie scene and what happened next:

'So we watch this “person” for about 3hrs, who just stands there, motionless, with its back to us. You could put optics on it and see it was a person, adult male, average height and build. Best part: we “borrowed” a thermal monocular and this fucker doesn’t register in it. ZERO FUCKING HEAT SIGNATURE. Then randomly, just poof, gone. Random PVT spends the next 6 weeks telling everyone about the ghost we saw.'
Magical Realist Offline
"Several mysterious reports came from a United States Marine who had just come back home after serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan. The witness tends to be quite secretive about his role in the war, only stating that his unit was “relatively safe,” and only suffered two non-combat related casualties. The witness claims to have had a couple of potential encounters with ghosts during his service, and one of them occurred as he was sitting with some superiors and colleagues within a makeshift office in the desert which had three rooms. There were reportedly four other people in the cramped room with him when, as he was standing near the backdoor, he noticed his Lieutenant step through the door and enter a small adjoining contractor’s office. He saw the man clearly, but at this point there was nothing particularly strange about it, and the witness explained “he was wearing a FROG suit and everything. Nothing unusual about him. Even had the moustache.

Just 30 seconds later a call came through asking for the Lieutenant and the witness went to the contractor’s office to fetch him. Strangely, the room was completely empty – nobody was there. Since there was no other door out of the office, the witness asked if anyone had noticed the Lieutenant leave, but nobody had, even though there were four others in the enclosed space and it seemed that somebody would have noticed such a thing. The witness went to the rear door of the office they were in and looked around but there was no one there either. Even a look outside showed no signs of anyone. It was as if the Lieutenant had just disappeared into thin air. The witness explained:

'I said ‘Disregard Sgt., nobody is around, looks like I was seeing things.’ Then, my roommate a fellow Lance says to me “That’s bull****, you and I both know somebody is in that room,” and I just said “Nope. You saw it too. Someone walked in, and nobody came out, but nobody is there.'
C C Offline
There's a potential centuries long tradition of military cultures in the region having relied upon the phantom reputations of their fighters.

Afghanistan’s Ghosts ... by Geoffrey Shaw: Recently, in preparation for a book that I am writing on Afghanistan’s military history, I came across some old British reports (ca. 1897) on how the Afghan warriors appeared and disappeared like ‘ghosts;’ it struck me that I had read this before when perusing former Soviet soldiers’ comments on the mujahideen specter-like qualities and, now, I recall some Canadian soldiers had made the same comments to the press.

Of course these similarities in reports spanning 100 years are worth taking a second look at because they denote a fundamental truth — i.e., that the Afghan fighter is superb at his ambush and withdrawal tactics. Moreover, these mujahideen will persist in such fighting even when all looks bleak for even the remotest possibility of victory. In his seminal work, Among the Afghans , Arthur Bonner noted that their fight against the constant raw firepower of the Soviets didn’t seem to be going anywhere; we have all heard and read the reports of how NATO forces are decimating the Taliban in a similar manner and yet, and yet, they keep coming back. Perhaps it is time that we took a long hard look at the history of that land and its warrior traditions. In 1909, Dr. Theodore Pennel, a missionary doctor at Bannu, wrote in his Among the Wild Tribes of the Afghan Frontier:

"'There is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is the prophet of Allah.’ Such is the cry which electrifies 250 millions of the inhabitants of this globe. Such is the cry which thrills them so that they are ready to go forward and fight for their religion, and consider it a short road to Paradise to kill Christians and Hindus and unbelievers. It is the cry which the mullahs of Afghanistan are now carrying to mountain hamlets and to towns in Afghanistan in order to raise the people of that country to come forward and fight. That is the cry which has the power of joining together the members of Islam throughout the world, and preparing them for a conflict with all who are not ready to accept their religion . . .. And it is especially these Mohammedans on the North-West Frontier of India who have this intense religious zeal — call it what we will, fanaticism or bigotry — but which, nevertheless, is a power within them overruling every passion."

The uncanny similarity between the motivation and zealous interpretation of militant Islam, as gleaned from Dr. Pennell’s notes, compared to the Wahhabi declarations of our day, should cause every thinking analyst and soldier to make their most disciplined attempt to come to grips with just what it is that has been engaged in so boldly in Afghanistan....
PDF: https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/JC.../8289/9874
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:There's a potential centuries long tradition of military cultures in the region having relied upon the phantom reputations of their fighters.

Unfortunately these phantoms aren't fighting or shooting anyone. They simple appear out in the open for a while and then vanish into thin air. Which isn't exactly an expert warrior strategy..
Zinjanthropos Offline
If I propped up a dummy/effigy or even a dead body in the dark of night in a war zone, then I think I might be able to inflict some psychological wounds upon an enemy that believes in phantoms, spirits, ghosts, etc...... Can't hurt to try.
Magical Realist Offline
(Mar 4, 2017 01:59 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: If I propped up a dummy/effigy or even a dead body in the dark of night in a war zone, then I think I might be able to inflict some psychological wounds upon an enemy that believes in phantoms, spirits, ghosts, etc...... Can't hurt to try.

No..it's pretty much kill before you're killed out there. No elaborate psych ops on the part of the jihadist soldiers.
C C Offline
(Mar 4, 2017 03:26 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:There's a potential centuries long tradition of military cultures in the region having relied upon the phantom reputations of their fighters.

Unfortunately these phantoms aren't fighting or shooting anyone. They simple appear out in the open for a while and then vanish into thin air. Which isn't exactly an expert warrior strategy..

Yeah, but such laid the ambient groundwork for an enviro-emotional disposition for apparitions. There are surely a few paranormal theorists somewhere who contend that the flavor of historical events that transpired in an edifice, place, or wide region can contribute to resonances from the past in either those physical locations themselves or in the minds of visitors (both subjective and inter-subjective experiences).

Not like "portals" in which the original players literally step through to the future, but some eidolon conjuring vestige of them[*] lingering in the sporadically sub-functional, scattered proto-brain of the environmental relationships. Plus the real mujahideen were already deemed "ghostlike" in their tactics and behaviors, so that even the shade of an average resident of the near or distant past would tend to be interpreted all the more in that context due to the conceptual filters of stories and Afghan warrior reputation which troops acquired from the culture.

- - - - - - -

[*] "Beme" country I guess.
Magical Realist Offline
(Mar 4, 2017 07:21 PM)C C Wrote:
(Mar 4, 2017 03:26 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:

Yeah, but such laid the ambient groundwork for an enviro-emotional disposition for apparitions. There are surely a few paranormal theorists somewhere who contend that the flavor of historical events that transpired in an edifice, place, or wide region can contribute to resonances from the past in either those physical locations themselves or in the minds of visitors (both subjective and inter-subjective experiences).

Not like "portals" in which the original players literally step through to the future, but some eidolon conjuring vestige of them
[*] lingering in the sporadically sub-functional, scattered proto-brain of the environmental relationships. Plus the real mujahideen were already deemed "ghostlike" in their tactics and behaviors, so that even the shade of an average resident of the near or distant past would tend to be interpreted all the more in that context due to the conceptual filters of stories and Afghan warrior reputation which troops acquired from the culture.

- - - - - - -

[*]"Beme" country I guess.

“...it begins with isolation - demons always inhabit desolate places...”

― John Geddes, A Familiar Rain

It's entirely feasible to me that out in the wilderness, where the edges of our tight cultural paradigms start to unravel, that the paranormal is more likely to occur in league with any accompanying madness or dysfunctional psychic upheavals one may personally undergo. These beings prey upon fear and mental weakness, possibly even leading to some form of transient attachment. Jesus was tempted after 40 days in the desert by Satan. There may be more to that ancient fable than we assume.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A psychologist explains why we believe in the paranormal C C 5 181 Nov 18, 2021 11:28 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  The bizarre ufo encounters of Terry Lovelace Magical Realist 2 284 Aug 27, 2020 11:06 PM
Last Post: C C
  Canary with bouffant hair-do nicknamed after BoJo! + Meet the Paranormal Moms Society C C 4 574 Aug 8, 2019 08:14 PM
  The man attempting to merge physics & the paranormal C C 0 243 Mar 18, 2019 08:35 AM
  Is Paranormal Investigation an Oxymoron? Zinjanthropos 12 1,630 Jan 9, 2019 05:43 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Bizarre encounters with surreal entities Magical Realist 0 296 Jun 13, 2018 04:38 PM
  Real life paranormal experiences Magical Realist 6 1,179 May 11, 2018 10:38 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Celebrity ufo encounters Magical Realist 2 655 Jul 18, 2017 10:00 PM
  Real Bigfoot encounters Magical Realist 2 718 May 10, 2017 06:47 PM
  Close encounters in history Magical Realist 1 916 Nov 15, 2016 04:21 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos