Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CERN shifted us to an alternate Trump reality + LHC disproved existence of ghosts

C C Offline
Physicists assure us that we're not living in an alternate reality where Trump is president
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/22/alternate...-does.html

EXCERPT: There's a theory going around online that CERN [...] experiments have caused the world to shift into an alternate reality where Donald Trump has become president. [...] Trump theorists cite "the Mandela effect," a phenomenon that occurs when large groups of people believe something happened even though evidence shows it isn't true. Some think more of these incidents have occurred since CERN was established, and suggest that its particle physics experiments are causing the world to shift into parallel universes.

[...] In Trump's case, conspiracy theorists have cited "evidence" like his quote on terrorist attacks on Sweden and assertions that Muslims were cheering in the streets after 9/11, both events which they believe stem from memories of a parallel universe Trump used to reside in. A shift could also explain a rash of unprecedented outcomes in sports, like the Chicago Cubs winning their first World Series since 1908, and Donald Trump's election to the presidency, despite most polls predicting Hillary Clinton was going to win. [...] What's probably really happening is that people have lapses in memory, especially when they aren't paying close attention to details....

Has the Large Hadron Collider Disproved the Existence of Ghosts?
http://www.livescience.com/57973-has-lar...hosts.html

EXCERPT: [...] Much of the general public probably isn't aware of these fascinating, yet unfortunately, esoteric discoveries at the LHC. Particle physics simply doesn't inspire as much interest as say, ghosts. At least four in ten Americans believe in ghosts, and it's likely that even fewer people are aware of the LHC. On that note, at least one physicist contends that the LHC has, in fact, disproved the existence of ghosts.

The physicist in question is Brian Cox, an Advanced Fellow of particle physics at the University of Manchester and a popular science communicator in Britain. On a recent broadcast of BBC Radio Four's The Infinite Monkey Cage centered around science and the paranormal, Cox had this to say on the topic: "Before we ask the first question, I want to make a statement: We are not here to debate the existence of ghosts because they don't exist." He continued...
Zinjanthropos Offline
Nice work CC. I get it. On one hand Cox is claiming ghosts don't exist but there's nothing from Cox re alternate universes status, an existence which is what the Trump (alternate) universe theory is half-heartedly suggesting. IOW's scientists can claim alternate universes but people who believe in ghosts can't do the same.

The questions I have are: should alternate universes be considered ghost universes? That is one universe being the ghost of another, which technically makes our universe a ghost also.  Since we are in one, then what does that make us?
C C Offline
(Feb 23, 2017 03:40 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: The questions I have are: should alternate universes be considered ghost universes? That is one universe being the ghost of another, which technically makes our universe a ghost also.  Since we are in one, then what does that make us?

Like so many other words of ordinary language, "ghost" can have plural meanings and nuances that potentially run over all the place, with the interpreter having to depend upon context / usage to sort out which is intended. So in a figurative or popular expression sense, I suppose some notions of parallel realities could use it as a modifier. Like those featuring "multiple versions of our universe [...which] exist and overlap, and even interact with one another on the quantum level". But probably not applicable to the type of multiverse falling out of cosmological inflation theory, wherein the other "universes" would be separated by vast distances, and share little in common with ours.

- - - - - -

Dan Vergano: In this multiverse spawned by "chaotic" inflation, the Big Bang is just a starting point, giving rise to multiple universes (including ours) separated by unimaginable gulfs of distance. How far does the multiverse stretch? Perhaps to infinity, suggests MIT physicist Max Tegmark, writing for Scientific American. That means that spread across space at distances far larger than the roughly 92 billion light-year width of the universe that we can observe, other universes reside, some with many more dimensions and different physical properties and trajectories. (While the light from the most distant stuff we can see started out around 14 billion light-years away, the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, stretching the boundaries of the observable universe since then.) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...nce-space/

- - - - - -

Many Interacting Worlds theory: In a paper published in the prestigious journal Physical Review X, Professor Howard Wiseman and Dr Michael Hall from Griffith's Centre for Quantum Dynamics, and Dr Dirk-Andre Deckert from the University of California, take interacting parallel worlds out of the realm of science fiction and into that of hard science. The team proposes that parallel universes really exist, and that they interact. That is, rather than evolving independently, nearby worlds influence one another by a subtle force of repulsion. They show that such an interaction could explain everything that is bizarre about quantum mechanics [...]

"In the well-known 'Many-Worlds Interpretation', each universe branches into a bunch of new universes every time a quantum measurement is made. All possibilities are therefore realised – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth. In others, Australia was colonised by the Portuguese.

"But critics question the reality of these other universes, since they do not influence our universe at all. On this score, our 'Many Interacting Worlds' approach is completely different, as its name implies."

Professor Wiseman and his colleagues propose that:

(1) The universe we experience is just one of a gigantic number of worlds. Some are almost identical to ours while most are very different;

(2) All of these worlds are equally real, exist continuously through time, and possess precisely defined properties;

(3) All quantum phenomena arise from a universal force of repulsion between 'nearby' (i.e. similar) worlds which tends to make them more dissimilar.
Magical Realist Offline
The only alternate universe is the one inside Trump's head---really more of a black hole sucking facts and information into itself and forever obliterating them.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Here's one for ya....if there are infinite probabilities then could one of an infinite number of universes contain immortal beings. 

As the man said:
Quote:"In the well-known 'Many-Worlds Interpretation', each universe branches into a bunch of new universes every time a quantum measurement is made. All possibilities are therefore realised – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth.

Somewhere there's a universe where I don't die? Nothing dies? If you croak on Earth, don't worry because your alternate self in an alternate universe is doing OK?  This might be heaven for some. For me this a real stretch.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Has the Large Hadron Collider Disproved the Existence of Ghosts?

Well that's certainly one way all the money for the LHC has paid off---the first time in history anyone has been able to prove a negative! Now if we could just convince all those many people who have had paranormal encounters it was all in their heads and not to worry anymore.
C C Offline
(Feb 24, 2017 04:55 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Here's one for ya....if there are infinite probabilities then could one of an infinite number of universes contain immortal beings.

As the man said:
Quote:"In the well-known 'Many-Worlds Interpretation', each universe branches into a bunch of new universes every time a quantum measurement is made. All possibilities are therefore realised – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth.

Somewhere there's a universe where I don't die? Nothing dies? If you croak on Earth, don't worry because your alternate self in an alternate universe is doing OK? This might be heaven for some. For me this a real stretch.

Laws of Nature, Source Unknown
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/sc...18law.html

The scope and number of options permitted among the whole lot of "rule" variations would be key. Impossibility being completely eliminated might depend upon the regularities and fundamental "values / properties" of any particular cosmos simply having a brute origin, and as a consequence also not even being interconsistent and coherent in the case of some realms (riddled with anomalies).

As opposed to belief in a meta-nomological provenance or underlying "program" for outputting lawfulness whose potentially limited permutations give rise to changing / evolving sets of laws for universes. Which thereby could still have constraints in terms of what is possible. Whether the latter "source of mutable laws" is transcendent (Platonic) or internal to nature (as Paul Davies argues) is kind of irrelevant, IMO. Either way the order or characteristics of a domain would not have a brute origin, and as a result impossibility could be yet applicable for certain things that we imagine / conceive with regard to the range of all alternate worlds.

But with that said... Mitigated immortality, afterlife, and even magical arts are certainly possible with respect to advanced virtual realities or simulated realms. Which is to say, such enables them to be peculiarly nested (technologically) in even this cosmos. Frank Tipler's outrageous romp into futurist extrapolation ("The Physics of Immortality") revolved around computationally conjuring not only long-dead humans but even those who never existed -- "imaginary lives".[*]

Given that, then when shifting to the context of a multiverse which was not bridled by an a priori lawgiver system (i.e., wherein brute origins reign for its rules and properties), or where the probabilistic parameters for strange events occurring was greatly relaxed in deviant universes... Then among the sundry weird domains there could be those which randomly fluctuate the deceased of other worlds slash universes back into embodiment / form of some manner. On occasion, there might even be an environment that could sustain whatever mode of be-ing they found themselves revived in.

- - - - - - - -

[*] George Johnson: "What do we use the energy for? To bring about the Resurrection. By the time the universe is contracting, Mr. Tipler calculates, it will have enough computing power to perfectly simulate -- to emulate -- every creature that ever existed or could conceivably exist. As the universe continues to collapse to a final singularity of infinite density and infinite temperature (the Omega Point, he calls it, borrowing from the French theologian Pierre Teilhard de Chardin), all creatures great and small can be brought back to life inside computers, along with all their memories.

Even though there is a finite amount of time until the Omega Point -- the final crunch -- is reached, enough energy can be tapped to perform an infinite amount of information processing, Mr. Tipler says. Viewed from outside, the universe would seem finite in duration, but from within, the simulated life forms would have the subjective sense of lasting forever."
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/09/books/...n-god.html

(Feb 24, 2017 06:14 PM)Magical Realist Wrote:
Quote:Has the Large Hadron Collider Disproved the Existence of Ghosts?

Well that's certainly one way all the money for the LHC has paid off---the first time in history anyone has been able to prove a negative! Now if we could just convince all those many people who have had paranormal encounters it was all in their heads and not to worry anymore.

Assuming ghosts are taken meaning-wise to be "supernatural" beforehand (i.e., prior in rank to the principles of the natural system and its phenomenal realization)... Then it is a tad curious how somewhere in the thought process their identities got switched to being natural or held accountable to or constrained by physical parameters. Even the behaviors and abilities of fictional characters in new adventures are usually forced to conform to an established canon about them (barring it being stipulated from the outset that the literary canon itself concerning them has been modified or rebooted).
RainbowUnicorn Offline
Quote:ZinjanthroposHere's one for ya....if there are infinite probabilities then could one of an infinite number of universes contain immortal beings. 

As the man said:

Somewhere there's a universe where I don't die? Nothing dies? If you croak on Earth, don't worry because your alternate self in an alternate universe is doing OK?  This might be heaven for some. For me this a real stretch.

excellent question.
"is time relative to cross dimentional absolutes?"
is there an interdimentional physicist around to lay out some ideas?

there is a question that has already been suggested in part by Brian Green.
"Can time run backwards ?"
well... supposedly yes. however. is there also a dimension where time asa process of biological entropy does not exist ?
statistical probability tells us yes.
however, much like the speed of sound, the flat earth, the orbit of the sun Vs earth, the speed of light... the human relative process is mostly limited by experiential knowledge boundaries.

you could phrase this to suggest   "can i perceive myself as being immortal ?"

currently the big question which relates to this is

"is intellectual evolution devoid of entropy?
Zinjanthropos Offline
I think 'all possibilities' is just what it says, it does not include the impossible. All possibilities IMHO is misinterpreted by many to mean everything is possible. When we get to this point of realization....is that where faith/belief enters?Ah, if I could only live within my imagination.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Feb 25, 2017 02:15 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I think 'all possibilities' is just what it says, it does not include the impossible. All possibilities IMHO is misinterpreted by many to mean everything is possible. When we get to this point of realization....is that where faith/belief enters?Ah, if I could only live within my imagination.

preconcieved boundaries...

women can run a business
women can be scientists
women can be leaders
wars can only be fought in trench warfare running at machine guns using over whelming numbers of dead bodys to over come machine gun fire and mines
antibiotics
speed of sound
vaccines
gay men can be masculine

need i go on ?

human perception is what hinders human development(religion & greed & power addictions not withstanding)

these things do not invent themselves.
the church did not invent them.
a group of evangelical americans did not invent them.

politicians did not invent them
political partys did not invent them
people saying "bring back the good old days" did not invent them
people who say "dont think too much" did not invent them

a modernised culturally centric perspective of homoganised assumed modernity is the ego seeking to self sustain its domination of static greed(intellectually sedented conservatism)...

lest you fall into the abyss, dare to dream.
the dreamers make the future.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Non-Existence Of The Real World (book) C C 1 105 May 30, 2022 07:48 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Does the existence of a multiverse hold the key for why nature’s laws seem so simple? C C 6 201 Oct 15, 2021 08:41 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  The "success of a theory doesn't mean it is has substantive existence" proposal C C 1 185 Feb 17, 2020 05:02 PM
  New species are coming into existence faster than ever thanks to humans C C 1 436 Aug 4, 2017 12:35 AM